HP Pavilion Dual-Core Desktop

The more I know about this computer, the less I like it. Oh my, they solder the processor to the the board? This really is a netbook board stuffed in a case. lol

DVI and HDMI video signals are compatible with each other. You’d just need a cable with a DVI connector on one end and an HDMI connector on the other to connect this to a TV.

It’s worth noting that these Fusion boards play pretty well with Linux, if anyone is into that kind of thing. I recently used one to build a basic web browsing machine for my grandparents. Linux Mint figured out all of the hardware right away and runs well enough for HD video playback and light gaming.

Yeah the components would make for a decent HTPC set-up, and I am sure there are tons of guides out there as people mod all kinds of things into HTPC cases like old game consoles.

Would probably want to get a slim DVD drive.

But If it had HDMI out it could transmit Sound over one cable.

Well that is not an unusual feature of an mini ITX motherboard, at least not for an ITX motherboard that is on the low end.

Pretty much…

Could always just buy an adapter like the one below

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-ADP-3780-Female-Adapter/dp/B0018QTWH2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1335679430&sr=8-2

Or for a couple more bucks get a cable that is DVI on one end, and HDMI on the other…

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimited-PCM-2296-06-HDMI-Cable/dp/B0007MWE1E/ref=pd_sim_e_4

Best of both worlds: power of a laptop combined with the portability of a desktop!

Actually since this has an ATI card onboard (don’t know off hand about the newer NVidia/Intel stuff) there is a good chance it would put out audio over DVI if you get a DVI to HDMI adapter.

As much as the consensus here is that it sucks…

…it’s still cheap…

…and a computer…

…the only two components necessary for a sellout on Woot.

I call 11am Pacific time.

I’m not seeing any WIFI on this machine. Correct?

Correct.

Like everyone else is saying, stay away from this, another $50 gets you a computer with a real processor in it. The processors in both of these rank not much more (if even as much) as you would find in a modern netbook. Very, very slow despite a almost decent graphics GPU.

The E-300 scores 595 on passmark, the 450 no much more. An intel Atom 330 (netbook processor) scores 631.

Ugh. Zacate in a full-sized desktop?

Well, I guess it has the advantage that you could use full-sized optical drives and 3.5" hard drives…

That’s one of those real high end boat anchors, right?

LOL This made me laugh.

I’d say yes if it had anything inside it that might produce weight.

I think some are missing the point of this woot…it isn’t meant for PC enthusiasts, it is meant for grandma to play euchre on and like things on Pinterest.

I agree with you to a point but because it has a external power supply I would say that this crap and a very light weight anchor. External power supplies go bad so often. They could have put a cheap 240 power supply in it and it would be good for grandma. Need something reliable for grandma right. :slight_smile:

This isn’t even a laptop APU, it’s a netbook APU. The E-450 isn’t a bad chip at all, and you can actually do some very light gaming on it, but only at netbook resolutions, and it’s a total waste putting it into a box of this size.

I just built a computer for my friend. Case, power supply, AMD quad-core FX processor, motherboard, 8 gigs of RAM, DVD burner, and 1 TB 7200 RPM hard drive, for a grand total of $446. Only thing he didn’t buy was a graphics card, because I had an older one that I let him have, but the motherboard had integrated graphics on it anyway, so he could have gone without. Heck, he could have gone cheaper on both the CPU and motherboard, and saved at least another $50. Bottom line is, for an extra hundred bucks, you can buy something WAY more powerful. And it’s actually upgradeable.

Grandma’s better off with a refurb laptop (try this) so she can Pinterest from her Craftmatic.