HP Pavilion Elite Quad Core Desktop PC with 4GB RAM and 1 Terabyte Hard Drive

The HD-DVD drive reminds me of the line from that famous poet laureate,

“You say you’ve had your desktop for over a week? (uh huh!)
Throw that junk away, man, it’s an antique! (c’mon!)”

• Yankovic

If I’ve Froogled this right looks like about $1500 new, normally.

Being technically challenged, please advise if you lose any clarity with said converter. Thankyouverymuch.

what wouldn’t you do

A quick google search of DVI to HDMI would have given you this link. DVI to HDMI Products

Fly to the moon? Seriously though, a terabyte of memory is not that much. I’ve got about 800 GB filled up…though in 4 different hard drives. I am sorely tempted by this beast of a computer.

no you shouldn’t loose any quality, monoprice.com

That’s a pretty slick desktop for the money. I might have to pick it up to replace my old 3200+.

I have a second 8800GT already in my current computer; anyone know if this thing does SLi?

I wonder… Is the 4gb of RAM it comes with 4 x 1gb, or 2 x 2gb? Because it’d be nice to take advantage of the extra RAM you can have with 64 bit, but I’d much rather fill in empty slots than waste perfectly good 1gb sticks.

HD DVD??? What next an 8 track player and a Beta-max???

I don’t work for HP, but their products have gotten ALLOT better in the past two years, and they have taken over the number one position market share wise re: PC sales. Poor Dell haha. This is a wickedly fast machine, It is priced the way it is because of the HD-DVD drive which is a DEAD format. If it had Blue Ray, it would cost a lot more and yes if you want XP, you can find the drivers for it.

Wow this is a pretty good deal…but I got a quad core with 3GB of RAM and 500gb of space for $550 from Dell a few months ago.

Major negative: HD-DVD. Should have been Blu-Ray instead.

This guy is actually 100% spot on. HP has really picked it up in the last year. This is a quality product, with good parts. On the other hand, this is not the place to buy a computer and the price is not really really great, but it’s a good deal I would say.

A terrabyte of RAM would be useless in a personal computer. This operating system can only support 16GB of total RAM. Vista Ultimate, Business, and Enterprise, 64-bit, can all use 128+ GB of RAM, but there is no way you would need a terrabyte, unless you were running a super computer, such as Roadrunner that just went live (can do 1.026 quadrillion calculations per second)

nice desktop, HP is quality! own 2

Still Vista, STILL FAAAIL.

Let me know when you actually post a computer worth buying that has XP on it. I’d’ve paid that price for that computer if it actually came with XP, but forget Vista.

Even then, only maybe. Seems overpriced. shrug

HP - Bahh
HD-DVD - Bahh
4GB - Bahh (probably 1GB chips)

I have an extra 8800GT video card lying around, and it would be nice to use it for something, but it says this computer has one PCIx16 slot, with none free. Does that mean I wouldn’t be able to do an SLI hookup with the one that comes with the computer?

Correct, your card has to go into a pci slot, and this only has one. Plus there is no room for expansion with cd/dvd or hard drives. All 4 bays are filled and would have to be swapped.

funny, i was gonna say the same thing. that 4th GB of RAM is almost overkill. But one TB? Yeah, that makes sense. I have a freakin bookshelf full of 500 GB external drives. I’d tear through that TB of storage like it was a glove box.