HP Pavilion Elite Quad-Core i7 Desktop with Blu-ray

Damn you ,Woot for tempting me with stuff I could do without but wouldn’t mind having at this price. I’ll sleep on it.

kind of want this. but not sure about the power supply and video card. what to do what to do…
if i wasn’t a gamer this would be an easy buy…

Just to emphasize something that was said earlier: this has a very slow Hard Disk. 5400 RPM is embarrassingly slow, and will make you think the computer is slow. Be prepared to update this with a faster drive. To compliment the fast processor, I recommend SSD ($$$$) or 10K RPM SATA, which you can pick a 300GB for about $150 on Amazon. Keep the 1.5T drive as a media drive, but the OS should have something much, much faster.

If you’re thinking of upgrading the video card after you buy this computer, the 300w power supply is not powerful enough to handle any video card worth owning for games and HD video editing. So, you’ll have to factor in the cost and labor of installing a 500w or greater power supply.

While I hate to see a 2600 when a DIY system with a 2600K can get so much extra performance for just minor increases in aftermarket cooling and a decent case, I have to admit a 2600 system with 8 gigs of RAM at this price is tempting. You won’t overclock it, but you also won’t need to for much of anything for a very long time.

Looks like a really good deal to me. Careful about graphics card - for both fit and power requirements - might need to do a bit of adjustment there if you’re the DIY type. But this is reasonably cheaper than you can put similar components together on your own.

Edit: Blu-Ray on a PC is virtually useless. Digital content streaming is far less painful, and requires far lower outlay in terms of software, compatibility headaches, etc.; I’ve had a BD reader in a computer I built in 2008 and it’s literally not been used once. Games are either on DVD or downloaded, and if you want to watch Blu-Ray movies, you’ll be past the price of a quality BD player by the time you’ve got the stuff necessary to play them on this computer without compatibility woes. Assuming they keep their firmware up to date and all that, which isn’t an entirely safe bet. Treat it as the gimmick it is and just consider the processor and other hardware.

Step 1 is get a better power supply, step 2 is get a GTX 460 1GB or a Radeon 6950, step 3 is get a small SSD for your operating system, and you’ve upgraded to a very solid rig. Otherwise, it’s a pretty good price:performance machine if you don’t want to turn graphics up very far and trust them to keep your blu-ray experience decent. I dunno about it. I do know building a Sandy Bridge platform computer worth a damn will cost you about the same as buying this and upgrading around it, though each has disadvantages - screw with this thing’s innards and kiss your warranty goodbye, vs. build your own computer isn’t an option for anyone who is technophobic.

100 bucks ish for power supply upgrade & 200 plus ish bucks for video card upgrade = nah, rather build it.

Tempting until you do some math.

I’ve seen cyberpower pcs for about this anount that need no upgrade and can be returned on newegg that have good reviews. Other options too - keep shopping.

This is not true. The problem here is that anyone that would actually use the features of a 2600 over a 2500 would also need a decent graphics card. The hyperthreading abilities of the 2600 is the main factor for the $100 increase in cost than the 2500. In most other situations, the 2500 is just as good.

The GPU, PSU, and HDD are just terrible. You won’t be able to do much outside of basic computing tasks with that GPU. We also have no idea what mobo is in this rig. The PSU will have to be replaced if the GPU is upgraded. And the HDD is too slow to properly run an OS and programs on.

I also disagree that you can buy this for less than building one yourself. Using the same exact specs, I estimate being able to put a rig together at around $600. And if you were to build something like this, it’d be utterly stupid to spend $300 on the CPU and $50 on the GPU. The system is completely bottlenecked at the GPU and/or the CPU is way overpowered for the use of this system.

I want to get a pc to record tv ntsc and atsc. What tuner would be a good fit?

Which is the better choice? The one here on woot or this one on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883155176 ?

The Woot one is way faster

MOBO is http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02668523&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=5068328

Manufacturer: Pegatron
Form factor: Micro-ATX - 24.4 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.4 cm (9.6 inches)
Chipset: Intel H67
Memory sockets: 4 x DDR3
Front side bus speeds: 2.5 GT/s
Processor socket: LGA 1155
Expansion Slots:
1 PCI Express x16
3 PCI Express x1
1 Half-Length MiniCard x1

Adding Steve Jobs’s signature on this would add another digit to the price

Pros:
-Blu Ray Reader
-Good sized HDD
-Powerful Processor
-Good amount of RAM

Cons:
-Low upgrade potential due to 300W power supply unit.
-Intel i7 2600, not i7 2600k, which means it isn’t unlocked for overclocking
-Low end graphics card

Final Verdict:
If you need a high end machine, but don’t need to do any graphical processing(gaming, rendering, etc) then it might be worth it. If you need a high end machine and need that graphical processing, avoid this unit. If you need neither a high end machine, nor the graphical processing, stick to your Commodore 64.

Does this have 6Gbps SATA III for the hard drives and is it SandyBridge?

I have some Vertex 3’s that run at 500+ MBps and they would saturate and bog down on 3Gbps SATA II speeds.

I suppose if someone wanted a decent gaming PC they might as well get http://moofi.woot.com/moofi/frostisonthepunkin

And then supplement that with a cheap graphics card/power supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150542
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182173&cm_sp=DailyDeal--17-182-173--Homepage

(I know those aren’t exactly mind blowing hardware examples, but they were the first thing I found and I’m tired. Get off my back.)

It’s not that difficult to get… They’re made for people who want to run processor/memory intensive appications and don’t care about gaming. Why would they want to pay more to get a high end graphics card they won’t take advantage of. Some of those same people aren’t interested in (or don’t know how to) build it themselves, they just want to pay to have everything they need already made. For them that’s the value they are getting for a higher price than the cost of building yourself… for those that are interested in building themselves or having a better card, this simply isn’t the deal for them…so why not move on instead of complaining about it. It’s a perfectly good deal for someone who fits the right usage profile.

The CPU is the only thing in that PC that you can consider high-end. A 5400rpm HDD is going to bottleneck any speeds you spoke of.

I can’t think of anyone that could need a i7-2600 without accompanying a decent GPU. It makes utterly no sense to have a $300 CPU and $50 GPU.

Oof! This thing will crack mad OGR and RC5 blocks for http://www.distributed.net. I got a Core i7-920 a couple years back and am quite happy with it. Windows 7 x64 performs quite well on such hardware… and there’s nothing better than having 8 processors show in Task Manager.

No, anything that requires the full CPU intensity of a i7-2600 is going to also require a decent graphics card. RAM is also one of the cheapest parts of a PC nowadays, you can get 8GB of DDR3 1600mhz for $60 on sale. Graphics cards are not only required for gaming. Video editing and graphics rendering software which are the only other truly CPU intensive type of processes outside gaming also require a strong GPU.

Anyone that only requires the graphics in that PC certainly needs nowhere near the power of a i7-2600. It makes no sense whatsoever to have a $300 CPU and $50 GPU. The only part that really doesn’t make sense in this PC is the CPU. It’d be a great budget PC for someone that doesn’t need graphics power if it had an i3-2100 or i5-2300/2400 for ~$500-550.

That CPU is completely out of place and the fact that it has a 5400RPM HDD bottlenecks the system even further. No matter who gets this PC, they’re either paying too much due to a CPU that’s overpowered for their needs, or paying too much for GPU/PSU/HDD that they will need to replace.