HP Pavilion Elite Six-Core Desktop with Blu-ray

I have almost the same computer just a quad core and a few years older and it runs great, wouldnt hesitate to buy an hp again!

If you want a new one, here it is at Amazon. $815 including shipping. 3.5 out of 5 stars with 15 reviews.

I’m in the market for an HTPC/Media Center machine & this seems about right.
Anyone know if one can connect 2 monitors to the graphics card that comes with it?

based on the review from amazon, yes.

The difference is like 50 bucks. It may be a decent deal, but the core difference(4->6) isn’t the reason it would be a decent deal.

Your stereotypical HP refurb on Woot:

• CPU: 16 cores running at 4.7 GHz
  • Memory: 32GB DDR5
  • HDD: 1.5PB, 20,000 RPM
  • Video: ATI Radeon X9000 with 16GB dedicated RAM
  • Optical drive: Reads and writes all known formats; new FutureBrite™ technology ensures reading of most formats not invented yet
  • Power supply: 250W

Your stereotypical Woot community reaction:

“Keep in mind that the optical drive won’t write to most formats not invented yet.”

:slight_smile:

Lol so true.

Not much if you’re doing specifically gaming (as of now). Games do not utilize 6 cores yet, and actually perform a little worse. 6 cores is needed more in video processing and stuff that is CPU heavy. Games will eventually utilize 6 cores just as games eventually moved to 4 cores. If you want to future proof your computer for later, I would go with a 6 core as you wont notice the slightly worse gameplay. But if you want to cut back on money I would go with a quad core.

Hex core and quad core, the only difference is that you get 2 more cores to even out the work load. However, most programs do not use all 6 cores, unless you do a lot of 3D modeling, video editing / rendering, simulation, scientific calculation stuffs. Basically unless you are a dev, or maybe engineer or scientist, you don’t need a hex core. Or maybe you want to have to just so you can have it, it’s not that much more, lol.

For best performance in gaming, look for higher clock speed over high cores number. Quad core is more than enough for gaming. I think most games just switched to use 2 - 3 cores, others are just at idle. Also game rely a lot more on graphics card.

*Note, you can always overclock and unlock cores from your AMD Phenom ii x4, think most of them are just hex core with 2 locked. Some settings in the Bios will unclock it given you have a decent motherboard.

My wife and I bought a similar HP refurb from woot earlier this year - almost identical with the exception of it being quad core, rather than 6 core. We hooked it to our TV in the living room to watch TV online as well as BluRay movies.

Not a day went by that I didn’t want to put my fist through its case and rip out its still beating processor, all Temple of Doom style.

The computer generally worked OK, but the constant and inconveniently timed reminders, updates, security BS, etc were just too frustrating. There was always some little irritating this the computer would do to interrupt whatever we wanted to do. Not to mention the stock software package for watching BluRay movies SUCKS! it wont play many newer movies and the navigation is nearly impossible. (I’m not paying $50 more for BluRay player software either)

Long story short: I regret buying the computer. We got a PS3 to solve the BluRay issue and are waiting to ditch the HP for a Mac Mini when we find a good deal on one. The End

thanx for taking the time to do this.

Sounds to me like you have a problem with Windows 7 and the low quality bloatware on the hard drive (should have been expecting the bloatware), not the quality of the computer. All of the problems you mentioned—Security, reminders, updates in general—can be easily taken care of. Just throwing that out there.

To piggy back on this post–Don’t even think about thinking about doing this until you’ve purchased a better power supply and ditch the stock CPU heatsink.

tried that

I removed a ton of junk that came preinstalled on the computer, changed remider/security settings, etc.
but that didn’t help as muchas I might like, it is simply an irritating computer. I don’t want to start the PC/Mac argument, but yes, Windows 7 has alot to do with it. I was hoping it would be a much bigger improvement over Vista. Nope. It will be the last PC I buy for a loooong time.

That’s pretty gross!

”My DVI, HDMI, and 7 USB ports are just aching to have your devices inside them. Click now.”

a promiscuous computer with 7 ports. I might have to hit that… button. :slight_smile:

Don’t waste your money. Got the quad-core version of this PC a few months ago on here. Locks up, extremely slow processing, and already is having issues where it won’t recognize the DVD/CD drive. Says the driver is bad, but when you go to update the driver it says it is good. Not to mention, Windows 7 is a horrible OS. If I can get the drive working, gonna wipe and format the hard drive and put XP back on it, MAYBE that will solve some of the multiple issus with this piece of junk. If not, I’ll just scrap it and buy a new one.

Tried that? It is simply an irritating computer? Windows 7 is not an improvement over Windows Vista? lolll. I’ll be honest with you, in the nicest way possible–You’re very very wrong. You should probably find yourself a safe house or a relative close by. Lay low for a while.

Are you suggesting that there are supernatural outside forces causing computers to suck? I understand the appeal of a Mac computer–I’m a fan of Unix-based and they ARE pretty; however I’m not a fan of paying twice as much for the hardware.

PCDeCrapifier works pretty well!

Sorry… no Gigabit ethernet, no wireless A/B/G/N (so many wireless networks in our building we have to use 5GHz), no firewire or eSATA, and the biggest deal breaker…
that M-O-R-O-NICALLY designed case with the power switch on the TOP of the case.

Can ANYONE tell me why HP felt the need put the power switch on the TOP of the case?