HP Pavilion Intel Dual-Core Notebook with 17.3” BrightView LED Display

Funny. A few hours ago Woot was mentioned in an article about how HP only sold 10% of the tablets they sent to Best Buy for sale (25,000 out of 250,000) and only 612 sold on Woot, despite selling them for $50-$100 off at Best Buy and $120 off on Woot.

IMHO HP should go back to making printers. They make a decent printer on par with Epson, and that goes for their scanners and all-in-ones as well, but they suck at doing anything else.

Edit: Article Link (Ars Technica)

Support page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?cc=us&dlc=en&document=&lc=en&product=5051469&

Incuding manuals page:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&document=&product=5051469

Link it up!

Nothing too spectacular about this but it’s a good value.

PROS

• Great 17" screen. I’ve never seen a 17" screen on a sub $400 notebook
  • LED back lit for reliability and longer battery life
  • It comes with 4gb. many sub $400 noteboosk come with 4gb
  • It has a webcam
  • It has a keypad, which not only helps with data entry but it can help in gaming, and is necessary for typing certain Alt-chars, i.e. Alt-0153 is ™
  • It has HDMI output which many budget laptops don’t

CONS

• SLow 2.0ghz CPU
  • CPU is old technology. Current notebooks use Intel i-processors, with budget models using i3. They improve energy efficiency and performance
  • 17" is great for a desktop replacement but the weak CPU is not powerful enough to serve such a function
  • 17" makes it harder to find accessories for, i.e. cases cost more
  • 17" makes it less portable, i.e. may not be good for students to lug around

Overall, I’d recommend it for someone on a budget or who doesn’t need too much power, i.e. your grandparents, who may also benefit from the larger screen because of poor eyesight.

I had some time to play with this computer a week ago as I was ‘fixing’ it for a client. Reformatted with the most optimized settings, and this thing is still a hunk of junk.

There is no way I would recommend buying this for any reason or any person. It’s a sluggish computer, it’s HUGE for a laptop, and it’s weird plastic casing feels so cheap. There are so many better computers out there. At this price, you may as well get a high end netbook.

I guess this is a good way to end it. I’ve had this same laptop for two years"refurb" no problems at all except replacing the battery every year. All-in-All its been very good to me.

If I bought this computer I would use its full-sized keyboard to write about how much I once loved Woot! and how, at this moment, after seeing my last post disappear, I am very much over it all. G’nite, Woot. Feelin’ done.

Since wootalyzer references seem to get lost, $379.99 for the record.

PC Magazine latest laptop survey (readers) for quality: HP not that good, but no worse than before.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2384243,00.asp

with a 17" screen? Where?

I’ve had an HP Pavilion for a few years now. Love it. I don’t know if all Pavilions are the same, but… Speed and performance has lasted better than Dell or Toshiba or Acer I’ve had in the past. The Pavilion is the model I want when I’m ready to buy again. I tote mine to meetings.

It’s not good for a basic laptop. Everything about it feels cheap, the keyboard, the case, etc. It’s also pretty slow. I’d recommend looking for deals, buying used or buying a high end netbook. At 17", this is a desktop replacement. You can get better desktops + screen for less.

How does this compare to I3 or I5? Is this like the Core 2 Duo 2ghz processor I am running in my 5 year old Dell?

Now addicted to Sling-A Monkey over on kidswoot.com

I got this same laptop this past Black Friday, and am in love with it!!! I did lots of research beforehand and this was the best deal out there. Surprisingly, I find that it has a sick graphics card in it (running Fallout 3 New Vegas with no lag). It’s a great buy in my opinion.

We have a 17" now. All we need it for is to surf/shop internet, download family pictures and do a few office docs here and there. Skype grandma once a month or so. Nothing major. We don’t even need the battery-life. We keep it plugged in 99% of the time. Is it still not worth it? Not sure what to do now.

It’s fine for someone who has low processing needs, doesn’t need portability but has no room (or need) for a desktop. This also saves energy, and offer enough portability to easy go from room to room. I think many parents and grandparents fit this category. They can email, videochat with the family, websurf, check out some videos, word process, etc. And yes, it’s powerful enough to watch DVDs too. For $379, why not recommend it?

Okay thanks man. Any links to any recommendations? I should’ve spent the extra money and gotten the $500 one on sellout. :confused:

So I took a closer look at the PC’s processor. According to PassMark the processor would be categorized in the High Mid-range CPUs.

Here is a link to see how it compares with others in its category:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+P6100+%40+2.00GHz

Cross-posted. :wink: Thanks! This sounds like it will fit the bill.

No, it’s even slower than your Core 2 Duo. The tech in this came out before the Core 2 Duo and WAY before the i-series.