HP Pavilion Mini Intel 1TB SATA Desktop

Is there anyone out there who have bought this that can look on the power suply if it’s written 110/240V please?

This would make a fine little Plex server, especially if it’s just for a few users.

I currently have a plex media server with an AMD Sempron 3850 APU and it works great. The CPU in the mini is considerably better than the Sempron. If that is all you are running and don’t often have multiple streams at the same time you should be good.

As eggy78 already noted: you’re going from 1TB to 1.25TB and substantially increasing the effective speed of your system. Neither is necessary. But the system will feel about twice as fast for most things.

Exactly what I wanted to know. I went ahead and bought one. Thanks!

Based purely on storage size there is no reason to go from 1TB to 256GB.

If speed is factored in, then any application that needs fast disk access would perform significantly better with a SSD.

Even simple things like web browsing (cache access) feel significantly faster with a SSD.

If your time is important at all then try a SSD.

From this page:

it appears to be Intel HD Broadwell with 12 Execution Units.

I have two Baytrail-M systems running MythTV (AFAIR 4 Execution Units) and they work great as MythTV Frontends.

Pure speculation, but I think this would be a nice Linux media player. I have not found anything stating if it has a fan or not. The CPU is 15W TDP so I think it has a fan.

Looks like it will probably run Linux. Here’s a video of a guy booting Ubuntu on the Stream (stripped down) version of this thing: HP Stream Mini $179 PC - Installing Ubuntu Linux, other operating systems - YouTube

Also and ArsTech article on them so you can see how the specs vary across models:

Now THAT is a great question! Mac Minis are dual voltage …

Thanks so much for this info - I bought one because I figured I should have a Win10 system around, and the fact this should serve as a decent Plex server (we rarely stream more than one movie at once) means I can offload that from my Mac mini. Awesome!

I’m not sure what DTS+ Sound is. Can anyone determine whether this unit provides audio thru the HDMI port, and if so whether it is 5.1? Kind of a big question for an HTPC…

There was a deal elsewhere for a Voyo 3, but it is the atom x7-7800. The cpus are pretty close in performance. I’m interested in sticking Mint on it and using it as a TV media pc. The only hangup I have is the “intel hd”.
The Pentium 3805U doesn’t look like it supports 8 bit hevc 265. Whereas the atom x7-8700 does support 8bit hevc.
All in all, I’m looking for a box that will be able to handle media going forward (for a while).

Get a NUC from new egg. They have an i5 w/ double the ram and an ssd for an extra hundred new with proper warranties. Why bother with this refurb especially if it’s work’s money?

More docs: HP Pavilion Mini Desktop - 300-221 Manuals | HP® Customer Support

Can’t find the one at newegg. Can you link it for me? It’s a mini correct?

Okay, it’s cute but what does one actually do with it? I will be getting an HDTV soon and want some kind of Media Batcave Setup; I have the feeling this would fit in somehow but how? Any guidance from the peanut gallery would be much appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2715386

Just bought one. I plan to add an m.2 SSD, but seem to be having a problem locating one that I’m sure will work. Can someone who’s upgraded send me a link or more complete spec/part number?

It’s an inexpensive but workable way to store and access your movies (if they’re on disk) as well as a means to view computer-type content (media files, web browser, email, etc), all at a decent price - all this needs is a monitor (like your soon-to-be-purchased HDTV). It comes with everything else.

Even if you get a Smart TV (they all are, it seems), I recommend something like this and a Roku (or Fire TV, etc.) since they’re almost always better than the built-in smart functions.

You wouldn’t be replacing the 1 TB drive, just adding an M.2 SSD for the OS while using the included 1 TB SATA drive for file storage.

This video shows where both the SATA and M.2 SSD reside in the unit. They occupy different locations and connectors within the casing and coexist just fine.