HP Pavilion Mini Intel 1TB SATA Desktop

[Preview 1][Preview 2][Preview 3][Preview 4][Preview 5]

HP Pavilion Mini Intel 1TB SATA Desktop
Price: $209.99
Shipping Options:: $5 Standard
Shipping Estimates: Ships in 3-5 business days. (Wednesday, Mar 23 to Monday, Mar 28) + transit
Condition: Factory Reconditioned

[http://www.wootstalker.com/images/buy.png

Buy It](HP Pavilion Mini Intel 1TB SATA Desktop) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/amazon.png

Search Amazon](http://www.amazon.com/s/?field-keywords=HP Pavilion Mini Intel 1TB SATA Desktop) [http://www.wootstalker.com/images/google.png

Search Google](HP - Google Shopping Pavilion Mini Intel 1TB SATA Desktop)

Previous Similar Sales (May not be exact model)
2/20/2016 - $209.99

2/25/2016 - $209.99 (Woot Plus)

Product Page/Video
CNet Review

Need support? Check out the support page

These are great little systems, but they possess one glaring drawback which can be easily addressed by the end user.

The included SATA drive spins at 5400 RPMs. This type of slow spinning drive will prevent these systems from reaching their peak potential. For instance, the 5400 rpm drive can make your system boot slowly or respond sluggishly when launching applications.

Along with a SATA connector the Pavilion Mini also has a “B” keyed M.2 slot and can accept a 42mm M.2 Solid State Drive of up to 256 GB.

The M.2 Solid State Drive does not replace the included spinning SATA drive. Instead it adds 256 GB of super fast storage.

The operating system can be transferred to the SSD drive and the included 5400 RPM SATA can be used for file storage.

This upgrade will allow the computer to respond faster and function closer to its full potential.

Note that the M.2 SSD must be B keyed (a notch in the connector) to fit.

Here is more information on the M.2 standard:

Holy Crap! Reading this made my face hurt.

This is a very attractive item. However, I have not been able to see any pictures of this thing hooked up. It seems it would be very awkward looking with cables running all around.

Also, I don’t have an HDMI monitor. So, I wonder how it is connected to a “standard” display that I’m used to. I don’t know that “display port” capability. I’m guessing you must have to buy a cable to convert to a “standard” display cable?

I appreciated the entry about putting in an SSD drive. Thanks.

Smaller (~24") flat panel tvs can be picked up for <$100.
Personally, this and a Roku hooked up to a larger TV sounds great. :wink:

HDMI to DVI adapters are readily available as are HDMI to DVI cables. They can be found on websites like NewEgg or Amazon or at locations such as Best Buy or Office Depot.

Good to know I was not the only one.

So the last time one of these was for sale it said what this one does Windows 10 and a wireless keyboard and mouse. The unit arrived in poorly factory reconditioned shape with windows 8 and a wired keyboard and mouse. I really like the size and features but I did not get what I paid for and had to return it. So my question is: is this as advertised or will I be again disappointed and have to return it due to a false description?

Passmark benchmark of this processor vs. top-shelf Atom processor.

Spoiler: this one is better by more than twice.

I guess installing a NVIDIA Quadro video card is out of the question. LOL!

What is this facial condition you both have? I’ve never heard of or experienced any connection between reading anything and facial pain.

Do you often get facial pain from reading?

Sometimes reading large amounts of information (which that post wasn’t) will gradually give me a headache, but then the pain is definitely inside the skull, not the face.

This face issue of yours is interesting.

You can probably find a converter from DisplayPort or HDMI to whatever standard you have. It might be better and almost as cheap to just purchase a new monitor/TV.

Some video standards:

VGA port uses a standard 15-pin high-density DE subminiature connector:

https://classrooms.berkeley.edu/sites/default/files/images/vga_in.jpg

Composite video, sometimes called “RCA”:

HDMI Standard, mini, and micro cable heads:

DVI connector:

http://cdn.makeuseof.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/dvi-port.jpg?187746

DisplayPort and mini DisplayPort cable heads(not to scale for some reason):

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9F58XOXwc29ndHoFRvHrT-sTyGfqRQr20l8uDQ20xFNbeh2c9

I left out S-VHS and Component, as well as other less-used (in the U.S. at any rate) standards.

I purchased one of these the last time around when it was the 500GB unit (which I was going to replace with a 256GB SSD). My purpose was to use it with my home theater system. Unfortunately, when the HDMI was plugged into my Sony, I would get no picture. It would display the resolution and then go blank. It did work (sometimes) hooked directly to the TV’s HDMI input. It did work with the Display Port (I have an adapter) but when using Display Port, I only got stereo sound not Dolby 5.1 like HDMI supports. Display Port can support Doby 5.1 if that’s how the manufacturer implements it, but apparently, HP on supports stereo. I tried to exchange it with woot since it was a refurb and thought maybe another unit might not have this problem, but they said they didn’t have any to exchange and offered me an $18 credit if I wanted to keep it or get at full refund. I ended up returning it. Nuts. I really wanted it to work. It’s a neat unit. :frowning: BTW - it did come with a wireless mouse and keyboard although when trying to use it from across the room, it had some issues with the distance. I probably would have had to replace it with a Bluetooth set.

I bought one with this exact description in February, and it came with Windows 10 and a wireless KB/mouse. It was also in pristine condition. There was a hardware issue (hey, it happens), and Woot refunded me. I’m ordering another.

Fo those who don’t need to hit this small of a form factor, consider the Shuttle PCs that woot sells on occasion (usually it’s a group deal on the computer page - not the main woot). I bought a 2nd gen I5, with 2 x 320GB HD that is dead silent and has a passmark 5838 vs 2015 for today’s woot for $200. It’s easy to work on and add/change whatever optical/SSD drives you want, RAM… The best thing is it has HDMI,DVI, USB3.0, and even 2 eSATA outs (which come in handy when you want to easily clone drives). Yeah it’s a little apples vs oranges, but if you have the space woot has those Shuttle cubes priced very well and they’re stupid–easy and cheaper to upgrade than something like this.

In simpler terms:

This is a reasonably fast computer, given the price, but it’s slowed down by the sluggish hard disk - 5400rpm was slow 15 years ago, and it’s still slow now.

However, it stores a lot, so that’s good, and it’s fast enough for pictures, movies, documents, and so on. It’s just really slow for loading programs and the operating system. It’s like getting a Ferrari and driving it through molasses. Well, OK, it’s like buying a Kia and driving it through molasses. But still.

If you buy an SSD (look on Amazon for “Transcend 128GB SATA III 6Gb/s MTS400 42 mm M.2 SSD Solid State Drive (TS128GMTS400)” for an example I know works), then you can move the parts that need to be fast to the SSD, which is many many times faster than the hard disk, and the computer will feel significantly faster.

You don’t have to do this. But it will make it so, soooo much faster.

I’ve never had an easier-to-open computer. Several Phillips screws on the base, a few more inside, and you’re set.

Again, this isn’t a requirement. Most people will be fine with the computer as-is. But for about $50, you can make it several times faster overall and not lose any of what it came with.

Excellent advice - I’ll keep an eye out for those. I could use another cheap system for some tasks, and it doesn’t need to be pretty.