HP Pavilion Quad-Core Desktop w/1TB HD

Highly doubt if this on can.
I believe Blue iris requirement is i7 cpu.
See here:
http://blueirissoftware.com/download/

Recommendations when using many and/or HD cameras:
Intel core i7
8GB or more RAM
Microsoft Windows 8.1 or 10, 64 bit
nVIDIA graphics adaptor for hardware decoding
7200+ RPM drives and/or SSD drive

To more directly answer your question, this processor will handle most daily tasks like MS Word, web browsing, email and video playback nicely. However, for more demanding tasks like web page design and photo editing it could easily struggle.

Please note that the A8-6500 is a desktop CPU which consumes more power (65 watts vs 15 watts) and provides much better performance over the system which is being offered today. The A8-6500 can easily perform many tasks that the A8-6410 either cannot or can but very sluggishly.

Unfortunately, AMD and Intel use nearly identical naming schemes for both desktop and laptop CPU’s which can cause great confusion even among the most seasoned PC power users.

If that’s your definition of a bargain, I’ll skip it.

All this that he said, plus:

• The Ethernet port on this system is 100Mb/s, not gigabit, and there’s no slot available to upgrade.

• There are only two SATA ports on the motherboard, and both will be taken up (by the optical drive and HDD). No capacity to add another drive.

• The Woot listing doesn’t specify whether the included 8GB of RAM is one DIMM or two, but I’d bet money that it’s two 4GB sticks, and there are only two slots, which means you’d have to discard the existing RAM to upgrade.

• As TT pointed out, there’s no HDMI, and again, with no slots, you can’t add a better video card.

Here’s a link to the motherboard specs: HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Motherboard Specifications, Camphor2 | HP® Customer Support

This is really a shamefully low-end product for a formerly respected company like HP. You can’t upgrade it, so it’s going to have a short usable life. About the only positive thing I can say about it is that it will use less electricity than a real desktop.

Here is a build with the exact same price, literally twice the CPU power, and an APU capable of games and 1080p, something this computer will not be able to do.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mzvP6
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2mzvP6/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($87.77 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M PRO3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($52.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($25.00 @ Amazon)
Case: *Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $230.12

This computer is a joke, spend your money elsewhere.

So I guess you forgot to add the price of Windows in there. $230 plus about another $80 to $100.

Also the hard drive is a 1tb not a 320gb.

The main board is an important component of the personal computer. It should be the first thing you review when choosing a system because it is the limiting factor for all the other components you may want to attach.

As an example, a user who wants to convert a few hours of high definition video that was recorded at 60fps with a screen resolution of 1080p, to a smaller resolution and size for mobility, would likely want to upgrade the processor on this computer.

The information for this model shows the main board cannot be upgraded. HP Pavilion 500-467c Desktop PC product specifications | HP® Customer Support

To say this is system is like a laptop is also incorrect. Although it is a laptop, my Dell M6700 has an nVidia Quadro K3000m, and several other components that would out perform this HP desktop performing multiple tasks.

I would say this system will give you good disk and memory performance with cpu capable of web browsing and using office products like outlook, PowerPoint, word or excel.

This system is NOT good for sharing resources in a work environment since it only has 100 Mbps BaseT Ethernet which limits file transfers to about 9.5MB/sec. The CPU will also struggle handling workloads for multiple users.

This system is NOT good for specialized workloads such as graphics and video editing, gaming, or any “high performance” computation such as CAD, ArcGIS, or MatLab.

Do a little research about Windows 10 before diving into the Microsoft data farm. If you value your privacy, do not upgrade to Windows 10. At the kernel level it’s built to harvest everything and anything done online with any computer it is on.

Seriously, please consider switching to Elementary OS or Linux Mint. They don’t harvest anything without you knowing, and then it’s Google, or you’re cloud provider, not the OS.

Is it time to revolt against the madness yet? I say “YES!” Does that make me crazy? I hope so, at least in the eyes of the data anti-privacy whores.

This HP would play quite nicely with either OS.

Happy netting…

Here ya go! 1 terabyte hard drive and Windows 8.1 included.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/twCrZL
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/twCrZL/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A6-6400K 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M PRO3+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($52.38 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: *Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($9.99 @ NCIX US)
Other: Windows 8.1 Standard ($20.00 at Reddit - Dive into anything)
Total: $232.32

The PassMark-CPU-Mark figure for this processor, 2279, is about 10% lower than the figure for the woot-specified A8-6410: 2515. (Figures from cpubenchmark.net)

You’re certainly right that this system would have an easier time running Linux than Windows. That’s generally true for all systems.

Personally, I stepped off the Microsoft treadmill years ago and use Debian for everything now. But I know the Year of the Linux Desktop will never come. It matters less and less every year, though.

As much as Microsoft would like to think that Windows 10 is going to be the driving force behind computing in the future, it really isn’t going to happen. The future belongs to mobile, and that means Android and ChromeOS, or something like it. So you get your wish; Linux. It just won’t be on the desktop.