HP Pavilion Quad-Core Desktop

Wootalyzer’s Pricing Post! - The price of today’s woot item is saved here for future reference

HP Pavilion Quad-Core Desktop
$299.99 + $5 Shipping
Condition: Refurbished

DISCLAIMER Wootalyzer! is in no way affiliated with Woot!, and this post may not always be here!

The mice appear to have hung themselves…

I thought Two-for-Tuesday was back.

Big brother sells this for $200 more (shh don’t tell Amazon!)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/tags-on-product/B004G5ZTM4

I have an HP Pavilion and it works great, the customer service is actually why I stick with them-- Way better than Dell!

I built a very similar machine for my wife, with a Quad-core Athlon II 3.0, 4 Gb, and integrated Radeon 4200.

The integrated graphics run Aero perfectly, better than I expected, and the processor is just stupid fast.

Can’t speak to gaming, as the thing has never played a game besides Farmville and Solitaire.

Plays videos great in full HD.

Really crappy flimsy chassis (as seen in this upgrde guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01835715.pdf) but that shouldnt matter too much unless youre opening it up a lot…

That is a very good price. If I was in need of one right now, I’d be all over it.

For about $250 more this can be a nice gaming setup. You’d need a better power supply (500-600W) and a decent video card (NVIDIA GTX 560 Ti or AMD Radeon 6950).

The graphics card in this machine isn’t very good at all.

However, all that needs to happen to turn this machine into a beast (or near one, anyway) is to get the proper PCI-E x16 card (not 2.0 from what I know) and good power supply.

Remember, folks: a cheap power supply is a good way to kill the machine.

User questions and reviews plus manufacturer answers over at Best Buy’s website. Fifty-seven reviews with an average over of 4 out of 5 stars.

Just got a free monkey at Doug Benson’s show in Fort Worth. Thanks Woot!

i bought a similar hp refurb and have had no problems with it. they usually come with one pci-e slot and the integrated ati 4200 video chipset really isn’t all that. also beware, if you’re planning on adding a dedicated video card the case has almost no ventilation so you would have to swap to an aftermarket case and of course add fans or water cool it. just my two cents!

8month old model for ONLY $300? Holy jeepers.

How’s this Athlon CPU compare to Intel’s i5 or i7? Or is it a stupid question?

Can you upgrade the psu on these easily? I thought most PC makers used proprietary units typically… far as I know Dell always has anyhow.

Fortunately newer cards run much cooler. My 560 Ti idles around 30 degrees and never eclipses 65C on full load. These things can handle much hotter than that. Just don’t store it in a desk! :slight_smile:

The customer service may be great. Having the opportunity to get customer service from HP for only 90 days because this is a refurbished unit…not so great.

Nice price for my new Windows Home Server 2011. In for one.

HP doesn’t use proprietary power supplies. You can put in a full ATX PSU into any HP mid-tower and be just fine about it.

I used to own a HP several years ago, and I was able to put in an Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU no problem.