HP Pro c640 14" Chromebook (i5, 64GB)

HP Pro c640 14" Chromebook (i5, 64GB)

Looking for a Chromebook to buy? Out of the three of them, this is the one I would buy. Now on to the copypasta.

Hey Woot: Where’s the End of Life date in the specs?

According to the chart, it’s June 2028.

Hey Woot: Where’s the End of Life date in the specs?

According to the chart, it’s June 2028.

This one is a little more reasonable on the pricing; I’d still check the mothership to see if there’s any better deals.

Woot Staff: The End Of Life date should be at the top of the specs; it’s the single most important spec when buying a Chromebook/box ESPECIALLY considering Chrome based devices have a limited update lifetime (6 years from the first date of manufacture). I see you’ve started putting the information in blue and while that’s a start, the information is still at the bottom of the specs.

I bought this after considering various laptop- and tablet-style formats. This particular item is a powerful laptop without many bells and whistles and versatility – and I’m fine with those limitations. Compared to my other (8-year old) Chromebook, the HP Pro’s better processor/RAM allows many browser tabs to be open at the same time without any issues or dropouts and with much greater speed. The monitor is not touchscreen and the image is only meh but more than adequate for my needs. The monitor hinges can rotate 180 degrees and basically lay flat but I can’t say that’s a plus because the monitor image does not rotate to allow someone sitting across from you to view it right-side up. I like having a back-lit keyboard and a full-size HDMI output, too. If you are wondering about the Enterprise designation, it did ask me for my company’s enterprise credentials during setup (which I didn’t have) but immediately allowed me to continue using my standard Google account log in and password. If you are looking for a smaller, more versatile tablet-style Chromebook with much less power, consider the Asus CM3 (which includes MS Surface-like kickstand, keyboard, and stylus) and might be a better travel companion than this HP Pro.