HP ProDesk 405-G1 Tower AMD Desktop

Keep in mind that this is a business-class machine, not retail.

Three year warranty versus 90 days, and a product lifecycle measured in years, not minutes.

THIS is a LOW-END PC with only a 300 watt power supply. It should have a 400+. It is a basic PC and is good for kids. 4GB memory? REALLY? THAT IS WAY TOO LOW. NO THANKS. DON’T HAVE KIDS.

YES! I AGREE. Terrible with only a 300 watt power supply.

It doesn’t need a larger power supply. The TDP of the processor is only 15 watts. You could even add a videocard and not worry about upgrading the power supply.

I was wondering what your multiplying to arrive at the numbers you gave–Just learning? Thx

Looking to use this for basic home computing - Quicken, MS Office and basic home picture/video editing and your run-of-the-mill surfing. I’m guessing from all the processor comments that others are thinking gaming, video streaming etc… but am assuming that since I am not interested in that then this should work fine for me. Would appreciate your thoughts/questions on whether that is a good assumption.

I need to get rid of a way too old XP machine … which you don’t need to comment on :slight_smile:

It should work very well for what you describe and you have the reassurance of a three year warranty in case something happens. Depending on how much video editing you are looking to do a video card or memory upgrade may be needed but otherwise it should be fine.

The TDP is a thermal design power that processors are rated by. If you look up the specs on the processor it will tell you the max TDP for that processor usually I just google the processor name and then passmark. for instance:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A4-5000+APU

to the left of the passmark rating, you’ll see the description of the processor that will tell you:
Description: Socket: FT3, Clockspeed: 1.5 GHz, No of Cores: 4, Max TDP: 15 W

Here, spend $20 more and get something with a real processor. Intel Quicksync is pretty nice for doing video encoding.

[MOD: URL removed. It was an affiliate link and I couldn’t get to it otherwise.]

Good find. This is definitely a much better machine for the $$. Plus it looks like it has a display port in the back (from the photos) which means you could convert it to an HDMI easily. In addition, windows 7 still has mediacenter (W8 does not), so this could make a decent home theater machine if you don’t mind the size.

I think the best part of this deal is that it comes with Windows 7 installed AND a key for Windows 8… those keys by themselves are worth about $200

To WHO?

The windows 8 key is $60 AT MOST and even still ,there are multiple places where you can get a key for $10-$20.

AMD A4 is on the low end for graphics. A8 or A10’s have decent performance for casual to moderate gaming.

Where can you get a W/8 product key for $10-20???

I take it you are saying this isn’t a very fast machine. But is it stable? I have a HP Vision with win 8.1 that has a faster CPU and tons of memory and crashes every 2 minutes or so when using internet explorer the on line graphics are weird and sometimes just invisible like whenever I try to view a Tumblr archive. So slow and reliable might be okay.

Have read hard to impossible to upgrade xp to Windows 7. Anyone know? Would this machine be good for just basic needs…email,Facebook,playing CD dvd,YouTube etc? Any suggestions for around same price or less? Thanks

It would do great for those simple tasks, just don’t know how well it will handle HD videos.

Dont expect to be able to play any games made int he last 5 years.

Good grief. DO NOT BUY THIS COMPUTER. It’s worth maybe $150-$200 at most. It’s not intended for home use. This is intended to be installed in an enterprise networked business environment, turned on, and left running for the next three or four years or however long it lasts. That’s why the specs suck. Theoretically they have used older but more reliable components that will just keep working and not bother the IT guys. Notice the “on site” service? That’s part of the business product line, not the home product line. Unless you’re buying 20 of these, don’t buy one. And if you are buying 20 of these, you’re paying way too much.

Buy this. It has a better processor, it has a screen and it’s portable.
Toshiba Satellite 15.6"