HP Slimline PC with AMD Quad Core, Blu-Ray and HDTV Tuner

Note: This post contains pricing information for future reference because it is generally not available elsewhere once the next Woot has been offered.

HP Slimline PC with AMD Quad Core, Blu-Ray and HDTV Tuner
$699.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: New
Product: 1 HP Pavilion S3430F 1.8Ghz 4GB DDR2 500GB Blu-ray/HD DVD HDTV Tuner Vista Home Prem 64-bit

$700 for the 1.8G? Are you serious?

And to gamers, quad core is no good for you.

Its a quad core. Number of Ghtz isn’t the be all end all these days

1.8Ghz doesn’t seem like a lot for a desktop.

How does a 1.8Ghz quad core measure up? 1.8 seems low, but I feel like it would be fairly speedy. Thoughts?

1.8 times 4.

any idea the stats or capabilities of the HDTV tuner… does it have ATSC QAM support? hardware encoding? etc

seems like a nice computer, except for the processor, which I would want a faster quad core

I thought this looked nice until I saw the 1.8ghz
and I wouldn’t want a blue ray playing tv watching computer anyways. Everything else seems nice. My vision is so bad I don’t even notice the blue ray XD

To the gamers, a GeForce 6150SE nForce is definitely no good.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/3DMark06-v1-1-0-3DMark-Score,794.html

Not quite. You have to make sure the application you are using will know to have the threads use differnt processors. Plus you can’t just assume it will be 1.8*4. Its been years since my microcomputing classes so I can’t remember the formula

It’s better if you have an Os that can understand how to use it. Four legs are faster than one. Well if the OS knows how to use them properly.

Found a very good review for this one on Alatest, but it’s just one review.
http://alatest.com/reviews/miscellaneous/hp-pavilion-s3430f-2-5-ghz-amd-phenom-9100e-quad-core-desktop/po3-58295715,2/

I does if you know what quad-core means. I have a 2Ghz desktop (single core) at home, and a 1.5Ghz dual-core desktop at work. The dual-core runs circles around the single core. We also have some 1Ghz quad cores at work, and they blow away my 1.5Ghz dual core without a problem.

A quad-core 1.8Ghz is about the same as a 7Ghz single core (if such a thing existed). It’s not a true 4x because of shared hardware and some cross-cpu talk that happens for some tasks, but it’s darn close. It will blow anything other than a faster quad-core out of the water.

As for the “it’s not for gamers”, that’s bull. LOTS of modern games look for and take advantage of multi-core systems. In fact, most have done so for a long time, because many had to write core-safe code to use the GPUs on graphics cards, which started having their own processors years before multi-core CPUs became main stream.

that is one monstrous keyboard

It doesn’t use integrated graphics

GeForce 8500GT with 256 MB GDDR3 memory and HDMI, dual-link DVI , S-video

Still Meh though. I’d say not up to Date with any high settings

no bad, but just had one built

Oh please, no offense. But you, your knowledge and your gear all sound old.
For average consumer usage, quad core will only out run dual and single core in video processing, rendering (say if you are doing cinema 4D).
For gaming, dual core runs much better than quad and single core.
Don’t you dare argue with me.

krosenqu wrote:

Eboy sells computer dummy books just for you. Go look.

Um, in a word, no.

All four threads operate at 1.8Ghz so 1.8Ghz is the total speed. However, the AMD 9100e quad-core processor can be overclocked as long as the HP bios allows it to, at about 2.6Ghz and still run very stable.

It is an AMD processor and has very low power consumption. Something like 65 watts. The Intel version runs at like 95 watts.

It is NOT ‘good’ for gaming at all, but it will do okay. It is good for home/office applications (students especially) that are coded to take advantage of the quad-core though. Vista 64-bit makes good use of quad-core technology. It has a very small size and has a lot of built-in features that students and home users would definitely enjoy/need. But it’s an HP, so it’s also loaded with tons of bloatware.

This model computer has been out and for sale for almost a year making it semi-obsolete already. The price is pretty good, but you have to buy a monitor still. A decent 19" Hi-Def LCD monitor can be had pretty cheap these days at around $125-$200 if you shop around.

Do a Google search and you’ll find it cheaper elsewhere. Old ‘new’ computers are just dead weight in most stores and warehouses and they’re dying to get rid of them to make room for the modern stuff.

very nice system. Specs are great on it. but HP reliability, not so confident about anymore.