HP Split x2 13.3" Convertible i3 Laptop

Does any one (at Woot) able to provide the actual Product Number?

e.g. E6F89PA is for a similar model:
Model: HP Split 13-m010TU x2 PC
from hp.com/buy/parts

Because, I’m have issue finding it on hp.com/buy/parts - which even shows and identifies some Product Numbers and their model name as Refurbished, so it SHOULD have a unique one.

I have two questions about this unit:

1. Does it take a 7mm thick HDD in kb base or only a 5mm thick - harder to find 500GB hdd?

2. is the 4GB SODIMM in a socket or soldered to the board?

I recently, on one of the 12 days of Christmas on MicrosoftStore.com purchased a plastic, not metal (Envy) Pavalion 13-p111nr x2
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/HP-Pavilion-13-p111nr-x2-Touchscreen-2-in-1/productID.289454800

for $599 and it now vacilates between list of $899 and $499 and going out of stock quickly at $499 once in the last two or three weeks I had it in my cart and they went Out Of Stock and refunded my VISA while trying to process.

I successfully added the 2nd HDD in the keyboard base by buy HDD Hardware Kit and a new HDMI board (one shipped with it had a missing surface mounted connector and one chip missing also) and a 500GB 5mm single plater Seagate HDD from Overstock.com - for about $190 total using hp.com/buy/parts and asking for free shipping. It was an adventure. Only wish it had a backlight on the KB and a bit brighter and FHD disply.

-Joe

Strongly considering myself.

To help answer your question - the Notebook Check review attached above states the Memory Card is user replaceable (but tricky to get the back off cleanly).

It is less clear about the base hard drive. It sounds like the bases without the hard drive lack to internal connector to add a HDD later.

Like to But I do not trust Woot any more I have bought items 36 times never had an issue then got something that does not work! Guess what woot is a no show!

Has anybody dealt with returning something, any tricks to get them to respond been trying for a month now!

This is the email I got from them

Hello connors,
Thank you for taking the time to email us. We appreciate your concerns as well as your business.
We’re sorry your item isn’t working properly. However, this item is covered by a warranty through the manufacturer. Please contact them for information on repair/replacement options.
Braven: Shop ZAGG.com for mobile accessories from our industry-leading brands—mophie, InvisibleShield, ZAGG, BRAVEN, IFROGZ, Gear4 and more.
Please let us know if you have any issues resolving this with them directly.
Woot Member Services,
Caleb

This is what I sent back to them

I tried that first here is their response

Hello Connors,
Your return request has been denied. This could be for a number of reasons, including:
-The period on your return request is greater than 30 days from the original date of purchase.
-Your purchase was from another merchant and not through BRAVEN.com.
Please feel free to reach out to our Customer Service team at support@braven.com with any further questions or concerns.
Kind Regards,

Kerri M.
Customer Service Team
BRAVEN
1-877-927-2836
support@BRAVEN.com

Please help!

Depends on how you use your laptop/tablet/convertible. I’ve got an older HP tm2t convertible that I put an Intel 120 GB SSD in. I keep most of my music/pictures/random files in various cloud services, so I have no shortage of space on my local machine. I don’t have to worry about hardware failures, and as a bonus, Windows 8 is crazy fast on an SSD.

I have owned several HP PCs. My experience has been that HPs run extremely hot. The laptops will almost quite literally burn your legs if they are sitting in your lap. It sounds like a bit of a generalization, but everyone I have owned exhibited this characteristic.

thinking about replacing my dell venue 8 pro with this…

As you mentioned, the trick with these is that there are so many different subtle variations of these “x2” models, with minor differences between each, so it’s hard to determine exactly what your upgrade options might be.

I did the same as you, except with the Black Friday version from Best Buy (metal, i3-4010Y, and looks similar to this woot, model was 13-m110dx e8c05ua#aba).
In the screen portion, that one had a single DIMM slot so I removed the 4GB and put in 8GB which fit, though rather tightly (it seemed to want a just minutely thinner DIMM module), plus an mSATA slot, so I pulled the 128G and put in a 240GB, and a microSD slot, which can come in handy.
The base could accept a 7mm drive just fine, but I also needed the drive installation hardware kit (includes cable and “caddy”) and a replacement HDMI board that has the chip and connector for a hard drive (from the HP parts store; found a coupon code at the time).

Basically, with regard to upgrades, YMMV.

Also, none of those parts should really be considered end-user upgradeable, since they require significant disassembly of the unit and it would be pretty easy to damage it by doing so if you’re not careful. Certainly not as bad as trying to take apart an Apple product, but also not nearly as easily serviceable as a traditional laptop either.

For what it is, it works well, but it seems like kind of a niche product, primarily for people who want to have-their-tablet-and-their-laptop-too, without breaking the bank, and who can handle a little more bulk than a smaller tablet.

Has anyone recieved this device yet?
Any opinions on it?
Should I get one?