HP Stream 11.6" Intel 2.16GHz Laptops

I’m looking for something simple to supplement my iPad, basically to run MS Office programs (which I already have). Is this going to do it for me?

The 2GB is on-board. There is no memory slot. I have one of these, and typically only have open IE and FireFox (don’t ask why both.) Maybe 3 tabs in one, 4 in the other. It is constantly telling me that I need to close one because I’m out of memory.

If you’re a multitasker or a multiple tab user this thing will drive you insane by constantly running out of memory. It’s quite nice otherwise, but useless for my purposes, as I like multiple tabs.

Can you purchase and download Office onto this? I know you can use the online version but my husband needs something to take back and forth to school

Can I add quickbook pro to this notebook?

There is a full size HDMI out. I own one, and I use it with a large monitor daily.

For streaming, 720p seems to work fine, but the unit gets pretty sluggish when trying to play 1080p.

You can add any Windows program, assuming it will work with the limited RAM and available HD space.

I have one of these, and I’ve tinkered with it a lot (including tearing it apart, just to have a look inside).

-Out of the box there is about 5-6GB of usable space. Things get pretty tight very quickly. The following article has some really good tips for gaining some extra usable space.

-RAM and SSD are both onboard, so there’s no upgrading for either.

-SD Card slot, so you can expand storage fairly easily.

-Full-size HDMI port.

-2 USB ports, 1 3.0 and 1 2.0.

-I’m a Google power user, and I’m sad to say that Chrome really drags this thing down. That’s more Chrome’s fault since it’s a memory hog, but still something people should be aware of. Firefox and IE both seem to work as expected. With only 2GB of RAM, every browser gets sluggish with 10+ tabs open.

-This is getting the free upgrade to Win10 in a couple weeks. This might boost performance a little, since Win10 scales to hardware pretty well.

-Positive review on Gizmodo:

Yes, you can download Office 365. My daughter has this model and she has Office 365 installed.

Deal with it.

Dream on.

Depending on your needs, this is actually a pretty good deal.

Are you sure? The specs say 1 memory slot.

You can purchase a new model for between $185 to $199 from several stores or websites and it comes with a year subscription of Office 365, which is about a $70 value. Something to think about.

Gamers, power users and Office wonks, repeat after me: “Get the right tool for the job, Get the right tool for the job…”

No, it’s Windows 8.1, BIG difference!

Exactly. The posts about Windows 8 are sooooo last year. :tongue:

Found this that says it’s not upgradable.

update; I mess up. That’s talking about the SSD. Ignore the stupid moderator.

I have personally disassembled this laptop. No memory slots. RAM is soldered onto the motherboard.

This. The Stream 11 is just fine as a cloud device (and a steal at $140 with shipping), but I would never tell anyone to use it as their primary computer.

The memory and storage are built-in to the mainboard for these devices. You cannot upgrade either one.