HP Stream 7" Intel Quad-Core 32GB Tablet

Technically there’s no reason it wouldn’t work. Processing wise, this thing is as powerful as your standard 2 year old business laptop and people have been using dragon dictate on those for years and years. Can’t say more as I’ve never used it on one of these, but it should work fine.

Planning on using this as a backseat media center for my two younger ones. What would your recommendation be? I just found out about Micro Center and have been impressed with their stuff so far at least own what I see online. Any advice would be welcomed!

Two open box TW700’s at $35 each would be a steal for kid movie watching and basic apps. You probably won’t get the free office personal on the open box models, but you might, it varies. At $35 it’s pretty much a no lose scenario and they’ll definitely play movies and games. I have a 6yo and have used the same model for that purpose quite a bit on trips.

These are OK for the money, but don’t forget what you are buying. These do not compete at all with any apple device. Even low-end android devices seem to work better.

I have one of these running Windows 10 and the upgrade from 8.1 to 10 was difficult. The internal memory didn’t have enough space to store the upgrade, so it had to go on a micro SD card.

Also, by far, the biggest issue is the 1GB of ram. Windows 10 will only run one app at a time and you’ll notice a slowdown if that one app is anything complicated, like a video or busy website.

I bought one of these recently. Its pretty good for the money. I installed Windows 10 on mine. I wouldn’t say its that fast, but it is serviceable. The real draw for me was it came with a Windows store gift card and a year of Office, at least new. No idea if the refurb does. When you get yours, you should go to http://www.microsoft.com/HPStream and see if you qualify for the gift card at least! You have to visit that link while on the Stream.

Isn’t it excruciatingly slow with only 1GB of RAM? I’d be clawing my eyeballs out. That, or trimming ALL unnecessary services and only loading one-two tabs at a time.

Anyone know whether the micro USB port is OTG? For a Windows device with no other USB ports, I would hope so, but it isn’t in the specs.

nah, for basic stuff it runs fine, browser with a few tabs, email, etc. I’ve ran photoshop and lightroom on the 2gb version. It does better than you’d expect with only 1gb.

Yes, all windows tabs that lack a full sized usb port are USB OTG.

Thanks! I’ve just found the same answer from HP’s support forums:

I use Citrix for work often. The only problem I have is some of the on screen keys (for work) are programmed differently ex: crtl is used as enter, does not function properly so I am using an inexpensive blue-tooth keyboard.

Meh. You can get a winbook version of this at microcenter for $50, and it has a full size USB port and HDMI port.

$59.99 is 20% more than $50, and the microcenter price is in store only so if you live in one of the 33 states without a Microcenter it’s $80.

I bought one of these when they were $99 last Christmas. The free Office license is normally $79, so I felt like “hey, $20 tablet” and I haven’t been disappointed from it at that rate. Another benefit that isn’t called out in the description is that the Office license includes a YEAR OF UNLIMITED OneDrive storage…unlimited. OneDrive has nice OS integration with multiple platforms, so unlimited is kind a nice.

The upgrade from 8.1 to 10 took a little bit for space clearing in my case, so be aware of that.

This thing is so inexpensive I bought one of them to be used exclusively as a streaming media player for my bathroom. If you are a subscriber to Microsoft’s Groove Music service this is a great device to help you get the most from it. The IPS screen is gorgeous considering the price you pay. Be advised that the battery life is abysmal… as in two hours at best. And the limited memory means you’re best off using streaming services rather than loading it with apps and content. But it was perfect for my utility.

Both of these look nice, but the 7" is only 1g/16g. Also, both are available through store pickup only - not much help to those of us in the west.

Which Microcenter has the TW701 WinBook for $99?

Yep, picked up one of these on a prior woot, because I wanted to experience a windows tablet versus my Apple iPad or my Android Tablet.

I was impressed that it provided a full Windows experience, allowing me to run full word and outlook and another PC only app for my gaming (a game management app - herolab).

Be aware that it only runs the 32 bit version of Windows, so don’t expect to run and use photoshop or other graphic editing power house programs.

The SD expansion card allows me to hold music or movies for trips.

It was the easiest of the 3 windows 10 upgrades that I did (one desktop, one laptop and this tablet).

Worth $60 plus $5 shipping.

I had bought one of these for my wife for exactly that reason so I can give my $.02. Anyway, what we found was that the stock Windows 8 & 10 voice dictation worked fine, it was a tiny bit sluggish if you are actually dictating and watching the screen for the text to appear, but for stream of thought dictation it’s not an issue and overall it’s quite usuable. Now if you try to use something like Dragon for dictation, not so much. It will work and it will dictate, but the lag makes it unusable.

Hope that helps!

Is it fair to assume that any app that will run on a traditional Windows laptop or desktop will run on this?