HP TouchSmart 23” All-in-One Desktop PC with Digital TV Tuner

There’s only one thing I don’t like. The power supply is only 120 watts. That said, probably most of these all in 1 units don’t have good sized power supplies and HP is stingy with them in all of their computers IMO.

Other than that, I feel it’s a great deal for someone that wants an all in one desktop.

I think you have a quality post too.

Explained well, short and sweet. Another quality post.

Maybe we need to point them out for some of you to get the credit for true quality posts?

Just a thought.

I still think it is missing one key component that all computers should have for versability and connectivity. HDMI output?!

Oh, I see what you meant now. I can see how some would want that or even need that, but…

With the monitor separate, you can trash the tower when it gets outdated (which with this thing was like 2 years ago. Does woot deliver to landfills, would save a me a drive down there)

and LOL at “Powerful T6400”

That processor is anything but powerful. Its benchmark is like 1300.

My 4 year old budget Turion in my laptop is like 1100.

The old and cheap T4400 is 1500.

The entry level i3 icore mobile is what, 2300 I think.

This thing is just awful, I can not say it enough. I would pay maybe 300 for it max.

If it had HDMI to pump to the big screen, it would be a winner.

We have these at work, and truly the nice part about the touch screen is when you’re on the phone. You don’t have to play the game of holding the phone with one ear on your shoulder, you can just flick around with the one hand on the screen. The only downside that I could see from this one though, is that they are not for power users, having multiple instances of excel open, or other programs, they tend to lag. Also, I have personally blown up two of those thin keyboards, they keys just would randomly stop working on one, and the other they would randomly pop off. Overall, for a home user I’d recommend it.

One other thing, flies can move your mouse across your screen, or a paper that flicks up, or the pen you throw.

Froogled

I find the lack of even a VGA output preposterous.

I could not agree more.

As a former departmental Mac and PC support person, I hate these all-in-one PCs for the same reason I hated Macs: upgrades and repairs are difficult and expensive, and sometimes even impossible. When a PC broke in my department, I could often go into our closet for stock replacement parts, i.e. a video card, a working monitor, etc. The lone Mac person in our department didn’t have that luxury and would often have to wait a few days for repairs, etc. This is especially true of video upgrades. Upgrading to a higher resolution or larger monitor is trivial and very easy on PCs. Upgrading to a larger monitor is simply not an option on most Macs since the monitor is integrated into the computer (although you can arguably attach the Mac to an external monitor). Well, this HP TouchSmart has all the pitfalls of the Macs – and perhaps more since a touchscreen is probably more prone to failure than a regular screen.

With a 1080p display it seems like this device would beg for a blu-ray drive.

A friend of mine bought one for use on his boat and connects to the internet using an air card to locate his swing box at home and watch anything he wants that is off his home TV DVR.

Great unit and very nice graphics…

Not everyone here cares about playing games or video cards that are whiz bang… You want that, you need to pay more…

I work with these developing touch applications. I have to say that the touch interface is horrible, both because the screen as an input device is inaccurate, and because Windows 7 was not at all designed to be a touch based OS

Not worth it at all

Purchased a similar HP Touch AiO woot-off model about a year and a half ago. Using it now and have little to no complaints.
It does well for an AiO and keeps up with most computing tasks including gaming that’s not too overtaxing on video. Love the wireless keys included… being able to “lean back and put the feet up” can make a difference after a while.
I rigged mine to hang on the wall at head height in my office and have never been more ergonomically comfy when having to work several hours at a time on it. One of the best projects I’ve ever conceived and it is fairly simple to do when hanging on drywall.

The All-in-one form factor works a lot like a laptop internally. This means (generally) that you get less horse power in exchange for a somewhat smaller footprint on your desk, and less clutter.

This machine is not really suited for power-users or gamers. However, the accessories and options (dvd, touch screen, wireless networking, wireless keyboard, card reader, tv tuner) would be useful for entertainment use.

I expect that this would make a good family computer, extra computer for a den/guest bedroom, or primary computer in a smaller living space.

If all else fails, you can always think of this as a TV/DVR/DVD/Computer combo unit.

Get credit? Do we actually get something for having quality posts or is this like the little gold stars we got in first grade? lol

I’d agree with you except that it’s way overpriced because of the touchscreen, which is essentially a gimmick. As far as I can see, such a screen is only useful in one room: The kitchen, where space is small and hands are often dirty or full. Finger input can be useful on a fridge door display, i.e. to compute food inventory, pull up recipes, watch how-to videos, etc. Otherwise, it’s an inefficient feature whose use will be confined to impressing guests.

Is it able to be used as a DVR and computer at the same time? If so does the computer perform adequately?

Is the wireless for the keyboard built in requiring an exact replacement or does it use a usb port?

I get $17.89 per Quality Post, and $19.42 if the post exceeds 489 characters. There is also a $3.73 bonus for each embedded link. And $5.89 bonus when ever the numerical digits match (i.e. (111 quality posts, 55 quality posts, 2222 quality posts). The current limit is $20.76 per person per day.

There was also a $63.29 bonus for surpassing 100 Quality Posts. And a t-shirt.

:slight_smile:

Based on my experience with other HP media computers, yes, this should be fast enough to function as a DVR in the background while you do other things. If you’re doing something drive intensive, however, the recording may experience skips. For example, if you’re converting or compressing a video, the DVR will skip frames now and then. But yes, this is a pretty wimpy processor.

As for the keyboard, I don’t see a USB dongle anywhere on the computer so it’s probably built in. In other words, you have to use their keyboard. Then again, if it breaks, there is no reason why you can’t buy a USB wireless keyboard and use that. Note that the included keyboard works on 2.4ghz which can experience interference from your router.