Huge Bear Chardonnay (4)

Huge Bear Chardonnay 4-Pack
$79.99 $160.00 50% off List Price
2014 Huge Bear Chardonnay, Sonoma County

[grape]

Ok, here we go, and my ratings and notes for my own purpose tend to lean on the simple side: “sucks” and “doesn’t suck” :wink:

Lovely bride:
floral nose
citrus middle
light/bright
tangy finish
almost like a sauv blanc (that I didn’t really think, but she said it, so I wrote it)

Me:
smells like chardonnay (that’s good right)
light straw color
lemon and a little coconut on the nose
moderate oak and lemony/citrusy in the mouth
nice acid/balanced
moderate finish

My thoughts are a little bit of everything, not too much of anything
not a butter bomb but has a subtle richness to it and not a glass of mouth puckering acid
handles the abv well
a well made wine that will probably please members of both sides of the aisle, except for those that are too far gone, but wait, this is a wine note, not a political discussion.

super deal at $15, deal at $20
produced and bottled by
natural cork

I enjoyed, lovely bride really likes

summation: “doesn’t suck”

I’ll play for a set

Seems like a good price, Gary’s in NJ has the 2013 vintage on sale for $24.99 a bottle. Quality on the 13 was good, but can’t speak for the 14.

https://www.garyswine.com/wines/Huge-Bear-Huge-Bear-Sonoma-County-Chardonnay-2013-w6148555zg

Love it! And we’ll take “doesn’t suck”. We think the same, it’s very Goldilocks - just right. Not too much one way or the other! Thanks for the support and enjoy : )

The 2013 is a little bit more “traditional” Chardonnay and is a fantastic wine - that’s why Gary wanted it all! The 2014 is a little lighter in style. And honestly, you can’t go wrong with either!

Thanks for dropping in, and posting the labs.
Looking at pH and TA of 3.91 and 56g/100ml,the pH approaching 4 got my attention a bit, as I generally associate higher pH with, for lack of a better term, flabby, and less palate cleansing.
Does the TA play to minimize that sensation? Could you comment a bit about this to understand how they interact?

That sure was a brief seagullesque visit from the Huge Bear.

Great questions!! The winemaking team has been busy in the cellar all day, so they’ve been slow to answer. Didn’t want to toss out an answer that wasn’t more on point. But…that being said, it’s not a flabby wine. So your insight on the TA may be spot on.

Look at the Huge Bear go!

For future reference should this come back, after tasting was surprised as well at the pH number. No idea if the TA is what tempers it, but agreed not a flabby wine.