Hunt Country Vidal Blanc Ice Wine (2)

I’m starting to think my comments aren’t even being seen, no shipping to VA!?! It says they ship on the Hunt Country site, but Woot says no to my VA addy. I have even bought previous Woot offerings of Hunt Country… What gives?

It’s very very frustrating. As the original manufacturer of the wine, we are eligible to apply to many states for licenses to ship wine to their residents. Some of these states do not allow wine retailers to be a party to the transaction (maybe as a concession to in-state distributors and liquor stores). In our experience, the Commonwealth of Virginia is one of the more prickly states. The alcoholic beverage control guys are sticklers. Some of the above may explain why Woot is not now able to include Virginia in its roster. Sorry for the long answer. Any way you look at it, it’s frustrating.

Cool! Nice to hear you enjoyed your work at Hunt Country!

Woot can market wines for shipment to Arizona, but WE at Hunt Country are not eligible for a license because Arizona limits the license to wineries producing less than 20,000 gallons a year. We produce between 25,000 and 30,000, and only have 9 full-time employees, yet we’re too big to be eligible. Argggh!

This makes sense and answers my question. You can ship directly to VA but when Woot is involved as a third party it becomes a no no. How far from Syracuse are you located? We make a trip to the Syracuse area yearly to visit family. We always go down either the Cayuga or Seneca wine trails, maybe a trip to your winery is in the future. As I said before great wine the late harvest is amazing as is the ice wine.

Please update your list of states that allow wine shipments. Massachusetts now allows wine to be shipped so please make the appropriate update.

Check this out:

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5551637&pageindex=1&replycount=310

Howcome you don’t make a late harvest or select late harvest (to use the Niagara VQA terms) with the remnants of the icewine pressing, post-semi-thaw?

I’ve had the 2007 and it’s quite tasty. Had a mouth full of cotton candy, first time I’ve tasted that in an icewine. Also, most Vidal Blanc icewines to me are imbalanced to the sweet direction, but not the 2007 of this one. Actually, that makes me wonder…how do pH, TA, and sugar of the 2013 compare to that of the 2007?

Very tempted we are, but a pretty solid SIWBM is currently in place.

That’s an interesting idea that we’ve not considered. This past year, we made our first dry wine from the Vidal Blanc grape … nice!

Here is the comparison of the two vintages of Vidal Blanc Ice Wine that you asked for:

2007: TA 12.0, ph 3.8, ABV 10.5%, RS 26%
2013: TA 9.9, ph 3.7, ABV 11%, RS 24%

The 2013 is a crisper vintage, really beautifully balanced. Here are some recent accolades:

• WINNER, JEFFERSON CUP, Dessert Wines,2014 Jefferson Cup Invitational Wine Competition
  • DOUBLE GOLD Medal, and BEST ICE WINE, 2014 Grand Harvest Awards, Sonoma County, CA

Give it a try and let us know what you think!

Grape. 100% Vidal Blanc Vineyard. Hunt Country Vineyards
Brix at Harvest. 43°
Fermentation. In stainless steel at 50°F.
pH. 3.8
Total Acidity. 9.9 g/L
Alcohol. 10.5% by volume
Residual Sugar. 26%
Bottled. June 23, 2010 Bottle/closure. Cobalt blue 375mL with nat. cork
Production. 932 cases (estate-bottled) Appellation. Finger Lakes

Grape. 100% Vidal Blanc Vineyard. Hunt Country Vineyards
Harvest. December 12 & 18, 2013
Brix at Harvest. 41.8°
Fermentation. In stainless steel at 50°F.
pH. 3.7
Total Acidity. 12.0 g/L
Alcohol. 11% by volume
Residual Sugar. 24%
Bottled. October 2, 2014 Bottle/closure. Cobalt blue 375mL with nat. cork
Production. 256 cases (estate-bottled) Appellation. Finger Lakes

Thank you! Placed my order. I look everyday at wOOt! wine to see if Hunt Country wines are listed. As they have been before, and now NJ can order. I went crazy when I was boxed out. Thanks for correcting, cause I KNOW it took alot of effort by HCV to ship to NJ. Our state doesn’t make it easy to do anything! NJ even has a sales tax on your home when you move out of the state! Why am I still here.

Because they have a sales tax on your home when you move out of the state?