I'm a Linguist

Wouldn’t a linguist know not to have a roman-dressed cat speaking Greek? (Instead of Latin)

Actually, the predominant language in Ancient Rome was Greek.

at least among the educated, laurel-wreath wearing cats of Rome :slight_smile:

It seems the dictionary does put your pronunciation before mine. But then, it’s not the only Greek letter that most pronounce differently than the Ancient (and Modern) Greeks.
I still don’t know any cats that say “myoo”.

Then your world is a dark, dark place.

Congrats Rads!

Both cute and clever! This is unfortunately the second fun cat shirt on gray to pop up lately (which makes me look like death warmed over no matter the shade) but otherwise I’d hop right on it.

Speed to First Woot: 0m 37.007s
First Sucker: baybei
Last Wooter to Woot: tanwaxlake
Last Purchase: 3 minutes ago

First day sales 433
First day posts 26

why is the kitty saying the Greek letter “mu” ? (y’know, our (American) letter “m.”) is the kitty making a cow noise, i.e., mooooo?

I have always pronounced it “mew”, (same phonetically as “myoo”) … y’know, like kittens are usually portrayed saying in comic strips.

Yay for getting last wooter! I was showing my engineering husband and asking my orange kitty if I should get the shirt. She promptly made a totally obvious MEW noise and so I went straight to checkout! :slight_smile:

So, I get that the symbol is ‘mu’ and it’s supposed to be like ‘mew’ for a cat. But, I don’t understand what the “I’m a linguist” part has to do with it.