I Miss the Old Woot

Most people would say that “old woot” was before we went to the new design where we added more categories, the side events (plus events) and started selling a zillion things. That would be about 2010 or so.

A few years ago, we trimmed things down to fewer categories and set limits on the number of side sales per category so the site wasn’t quite so overwhelming.

Some just say it’s before Amazon bought us. //shrug

11 Likes

And some would say that it was back when the offer every few deals was a Sansa.

2 Likes

Ahh I see. Thank you, that makes sense. Also, geez some people can really hold a grudge!

4 Likes

I think that’s legal in Seattle, not so sure about Dallas.

3 Likes

I miss the old Woot! but only because of the woot-offs. You had a chance for something super awesome or real crappy crap in the bee oh cees. I will never forget the guy that got the broken toilet. I still love Woot! but it’s just different. There was a danger back then.

9 Likes

I bought a few of those! Ahhh the good old days…

1 Like

Those were good times. Am I remembering correctly in that he got a box full of broken shards of porcelain, and then woot chimed in and let him know that it wasn’t in pieces when it was mailed? That made it even better.

The new woot has had its moments though. The giant man sized chicken and the woot bus have kept me here all these years.

6 Likes

I always forget about the power of a good business high-five

1 Like

True true

Air high-fives, now COVID approved!

2 Likes

old Woot is a mythical place from a time when the Internet was also a mythical place

6 Likes

Ok, that too.

1 Like

i miss the old internet

4 Likes

I miss having Dial-Up.

Sorry to read that.

It was truly a blessed time when you had to murder a robot to get online.

9 Likes

Dude, I was doing reading news and doing online banking in 1984 with StarText on a TRS-80 Model II. I miss the old usenet.

5 Likes

I needed a hamster to power the wheel which set off a Rube Goldberg machine which killed a robot.

3 Likes

Fondly do I remember the old days of Woot. I even have a Woot paper bag and letter from Three Piece Woot that was FedEx’d to me when they forgot to include a bag in the BOC one time.

5 Likes

Random page from the way-back machine (8/3/05) when Woot was just one item a day or until sold out. Except for the Woot-Off days.

https://web.archive.org/web/20050803020606/http://www.woot.com:80/

15 Likes