I wish…

I don’t get it. What’s the meaning? The elephant wishes he was a flaming feather that could fly over all the circus tents? It looks nice but it’s too random and arbitrary for my taste.

It’s a feather

So, it’s come to this. A Dumbo shirt? Next time maybe we can have a Toy Story or Snow White or Song of the South shirt.

Really, I like thinking about things from the time period I grew up in as much as the next guy, but I am growing tired of seeing such references on shirts. Can we try and expand our repertoire for next time?

Is that elephant (if that is what it is) wishing to go down and stomp on all of the tents (if that is what they are)? Or does that white blob which looks remarkably like the whale from The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Universe something that the elephant is wishing to see perform a “splashdown”?

congrats! i’m down for one.

By this logic, I’d be deleting all the “congrats!” posts that don’t go into depth also. Like the inane drivel the “artist” and her “artist” boyfriend leave at the top of every thread to promote their wares, yet never actually say anything.

As I’ve said before, if nothing is good, what is there to be in depth about?

he’s happy he can’t fly and be sucked into a jet engine!

other than that, i don’t understand the feather, but nice snail cloud.

I’m surprised this printed, let alone being first too. Last time I checked there were a lot of criticisms in the derby.

It’s dumbo.

No, no, the MOVIE. yknow, the thing that already exists so inspiration doesn’t need to actually happen?

Why isn’t it good?

It almost looks like a volcano just erupted and the little bits of molten ash are coming down…

Yay, wow, thanks you guys. :smiley: I know the placement’s a bit different, but I like fun placements on shirts.

Sorry if you don’t like it, but I’m glad if you do. :wink:

You’re being sarcastic and I’m not reading it correctly because I’m too sleep-deprived, right? Right?

Otherwise–assuming you are of legal age, location, and sound mind–I advise you to get mildly drunk or deliciously high, rent/purchase/download Dumbo, and watch the film.

And Woot? What a beautifully sharp, twisty knife you wield. I love you for that write-up. Like, I love love you. Of course, that might be the sleep-deprivation again.

apparently if you don’t see a movie for 20 years you forget those details huh? plus i keep thinking its heffalump

By the way, the shirt preview is different from usual- it’s the shirt template and the preview instead of just the picture like it usually is. Weird. :open_mouth:

this is adorable… but i don’t get how it doesn’t infringe on that whole obviously referring to a copyrighted object, especially something as copyrighted as disney… i’ve seen hundreds of shirts rejected for more vague likenesses… oh well.

Because it is poorly conceived, not very well executed, heavily inspired by Dumbo, and looks like a city is on fire.

Actually, its thread could sum up everything wrong with this “picture” (to use Seki’s terminology) better than I could here. Nothing this absolutely boring should be winning derbies when even a horrible theme like the Circus provided better work

You’ve made plenty of lengthy indepth posts about various bad shirts (and the state of woot in general). I think you’ve proven that there’s plenty to be in depth about, even if nothing is good.

Do the clouds remind anyone else of The Wind Waker (Zelda)?

All told, this is an interesting problem. On the one hand you’ve got the “chacun a son gout” types who simply do not like a design but, in fact, cannot say why. If they don’t go into detail, chop those posts out.

On the other hand, I must admit that I get literally bored (yeah, I know this is my problem, not yours) about the ten or twenty-some-odd “Congrats on the shirt/print” that then don’t go any further.

So: is it important to retain all of these sorts of posts (and, of course, the feedback that results) or would it be wiser to nip the, uh, stuff in the bud?

edit: I’ve been studying the dynamics of social intercourse on “bulletin boards” or “chat programs” like this since 1988.