IBM ThinkPad T42 Notebook

How’s the battery likely to be on these?

I currently have a hand-me-down Compaq Presario 2100 with a kaput battery (and an extremely loose power cord connection) for when I’m on the go. Something like this might make a nice replacement.

Also, how well does the wireless work with Linux? Oh, wait… no wireless listed in the features? Bummer. Guess I’d have to carry around an external one or always have an ethernet cable with me.

40 gigs is HUGE…My first real puter, an XT (186) had not ONE, but TWO 20 meg hard drives which I never filled…I don’t count the IBM PC Jr, which I had before that as a real puter…Bloatware anyone???

“Raaarggh” “You said it Chewie… where did you dig up that old fossil?”

It has Windows XP which you can’t get anymore. Might be worth it just for the OS.

What a waste of money on a 4yr old laptop.

Using the $100 off internet signup at bestbuy(which can be instantly cancelled) you could easily get a much better laptop at this price or very little more BRAND NEW.

The screenshot totally sums up this woot…Ewe!!!

Who cares if it was leased or not? The fact is it is a POS that woot should be ashamed to even consider selling to people who don’t know any better. tsk, tsk.

Let me know how that works out for you in a year when your laptop breaks in half, and if it didn’t, you probably used it like a desktop, never moved it.

In other words not the “some customer changed their mind and returned it” kind of refurbished nor the “was DOA and has now been repaired” kind of refurbished, but rather the “just plain old used” kind of refurbished.

or they’re just going to get a modern-day priced decent laptop that will work just as well as most other ones. as much as i hate wal-mart, they now sell big brand stuff and really do sell it cheap.

Makes me feel lucky for having worked at a university with a big IT budget - last year I was able to buy a 1.2ghz P3 IBM thinkpad with 768mb RAM and docking station for $80.

If this off-lease thinkpad is anything like mine, it’s probably still in great condition. The one I snagged was only ever used in the docking station, like a desktop, so the battery was good as new.

That’s just Woot’s screwup with their images they add themselves to screens. It doesn’t really have Vista, they just used the wrong picture to be displayed.

I had an IBM like this once…they kept having to replace parts, but over the course of five years. I miss it, but it is probably out there is refurb land. The parts cost too much, so my warranty just gave me a new laptop.

For some reason, I loved the red pointing device.

Ahhh, back to the college days…

Anyone know if these things have a modem? Some reviews mention 56k and others say nothing.
Thanks

Yea whatever. If you actually take care of what you have and not treat it like a piece of garbage, it might last you. You act like these IBMs are made out of steel or some shit.

worth it just for the parallel printer port

what do you think these go for on ebay and how long will the battery last?

It depends on your needs I guess, but most of the laptops you will find in a wal mart is going to be of a poor build quality that will feel like it will snap in your hands if you dont perfectly support it while you are carrying it.

Also, if you look at a lot of stores that show laptops, they are bolted down or covered such a way that you can’t even judge how well it’s built.

Lastly, Walmart is cheap because they buy the cheapest brands, including in quality. For instance, you will never see a decent Samsung or Sony LCD, but you will find tons of Vizio LCDs.

I want one just so I can smash it to pieces. I’ll video the experience if someone will buy me one.

I am an IT professional, and I used to support these… (before we switched to HP)
I would not recommend them.

Cons:

1. they are prob 4+ years old.
  2. they are heavy.
  3. No internal wifi (as far as I can remember)
  4. Slow.

Pros:

1. good form factor, IBM builds solid equipment.

I’m actually really surprised to see these here. You can get a NEW laptop, for 100-200 bucks more with way better specs.

Thinkpads are built the best, there are stories of people dropping them, running them over and still having them boot.

But you are right, anything will last a long time if you do your best to be careful with it, but accidents do happen. For instance, you might be on your bed, watching a movie, phone rings, you quickly get up and run for it and only to trip over your power cord (oops, clumsy me) and your laptop flies to the ground in a loud thud, zap, poof, and it’s dead.

If the laptop is built well, it is more likely to withstand those accidents.