IBM WorkPad C500 PDA

good price,
but not worth…

mon·o·chrome [url]http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=monochrome[/url]

“A picture, especially a painting, done in different shades of a single color.
The art or technique of executing such a picture.”

KuoH

Classic. But Palms are yesterday’s news! Good price though for an entry-level PDA.

Nope. No real sound capability.
In general, this palm is really obsolete. Now, 100$ for a Tungsten, THAT would be interesting…

[quote user=“tgrupert”][quote user=“kuoh”]People still use monochrome PDA’s? :lol:

KuoH[/quote]
It’s greyscale.[/quote]

Yes people still use monochrome PDA’s. Take two otherwise identicle PDA’s, one monochrome, one color. Compare battery life

:shock: I think woot try to recover all those refund and $15.00 credit on the used Asylum cards they sold us!

Good price but kinda dated tech. How about a nice TRS-80 or Commodore64 tomorrow?

Eww…

incredible deal… if I needed one…

Actually when I went to overstock.com, they list it as $89.99. I did get the $69.99 when searching froogle.com, but I would tend to trust the price at the site more than a price search engine.

Also, they don’t even have it in stock, so I suppose it’s a moot point.[/quote]
Don’t you mean a woot point?

pass aswell… had one of these long,long ago

I spent like 75 about 6 months ago on a palm m125 - i needed a palm that accepted memory cards (zire was out) had a greyscale screen (for battery life) and took disposable batteries (i’m a geology student and sometimeswe just dont go back to a place with power to charge up)- so goodbye this and m500) there are still uses for these - anyone who will have access to power on a semi-regular basis and just needs to be able to run some software and take in information - this is worth it. BTW- couldnt be happier with my m125

[quote user=“kuoh”]People still use monochrome PDA’s? :lol:

KuoH[/quote]

Actually if you think about it monochrome displays have better resolution in a sense.
Here’s why.

With color it takes three dots to make a pixel. A pixel being a “picture element” or a dot
of information. If you want a white pixel you have to have three dots of red blue and green
on. A black pixel on a color display is three dots of red, blue, green off.

With monochrome one dot equals one pixel. That is one pixel is only one spot on
the screen that is either on or off or somewhere in between.

If you draw it on paper it’s easier to see that three dots making up a pixel are a cruder
approximation of an edge than is one dot making up a pixel.

This is why the best typesetting screens were black and white for so long. Remember
the rotating Radius brand screens? Most were black and white and $2000 each because
they gave a great picture for layout of newspapers.

Admittedly color screens are better now. But all things being equal and especially
with PDA’s that are $50. Monochrome is probably sharper than color of the same
price. I’d prefer monochrome if it was sharper than a color screen where the small
fonts were hard to see.

Does anyone know about running Basic and inputting Data Via RS 232 on a PDA?

I was thinking about this just an hour ago then came here and saw this for sale.

I bought a Palm 5 a year ago but never did anything with it except look at it.

DVM=digital volt meter
I want to collect data from a Radio Shack DVM that has RS232. It has a basic
program that opens the RS232 port and collects a few bytes of data then waits
one second to 60 minutes then does it again.

It’s useful for collecting whatever is on the DVM screen.

My laptop will work but it’s a bit big and bulky.

andre

[quote user=“andre100”][quote user=“kuoh”]People still use monochrome PDA’s? :lol:

KuoH[/quote]

Actually if you think about it monochrome displays have better resolution in a sense.
Here’s why…[/quote]

You kinda mixed up your facts there. In PRINTED media, you can only have dots of either of the 3 or 4 ink colors (some exceptional printing systems might go up to 6 though). Then, to simulate a colored pixel you actually need more than one dot.
A PDA’s LCD monitor on the other hand, is perfectly capable of producing whatever color pixels

Geez… I’d close the site down i f I got emails like this all day.

Since last week I’ve found two great items and bought them both. I’m happy with
woot and have talked it up with about 10 people. Fatwallet is considering starting
a woot thread. Then look out. All heck will break loose. If you think
that deals are short lived now… haha.

There is this thing called the Fatwallet effect. When a deal is posted. Within
mintues the deal is dead. Either sold out, the store goes into shock, the employees
go on vacation to escape the onslaught haha. Or in the case of free stuff they
are “overwhelmed”.

I can’t count how many times a site has closed a page becasue Fatwalleteers got
wind of it. It’s sad really. So many deals and too many people.

a.

[quote user=“ecuadorgr”][quote user=“andre100”][quote user=“kuoh”]People still use monochrome PDA’s? :lol:

KuoH[/quote]

Here’s why…[/quote]

You kinda mixed up your facts there. In PRINTED media, you can only have dots of either of the 3 or 4 ink colors (some exceptional printing systems might go up to 6 though). Then, to simulate a colored pixel you actually need more than one dot.
A PDA’s LCD monitor on the other hand, is perfectly capable of producing whatever color pixels.[/quote]

I think I mentioned “newspapers” that would be black and white. not color. My example
was that in the days of VGA monitors the B/W ones were used to setup Newspapers because of their clarity. Since we’re talking about a $50 PDA the screen quality is
going to be marginal and so monochrome will look better on a cheap PDA than color would look on a cheap PDA

My evolution of PDAs is the following…

handspring visor… (expansion pack, b&W, still cool for starting out)
Visor edge (thinner, sleeker, better clarity)
palm 505 (palm series, color, new apps, more compatibility, SD card slot)
HP Jornada (runs windows CE, has mini keyboard (no more graffiti) word and excel compatibility build in)
At this point my job got much more complicated with the amount of work and the stuff I had to keep up with. I wound up with multiple files in multiple locations (working on them on my jornada) and had lost entire directories to microsoft’s faulty “active sync”. I had multiple instances of calendars (which people were adding stuff to) and it wasn’t until I had what I lovingly call my “organizational mental breakdown” that I started to really get organized, and ONE step later I was…

I dusted off my handspring visor and I’ve been more efficient and more sane ever since. The simplicity of the visor was exactly what I needed for keeping up with tasks, calendar items, memos and to-dos.

why not the 505??? because I knew That If i got the 505 out again, I would just keep loading it with stuff to make it more productive, docs to go, new color calendar program (which I liked a lot), picture viewer for maps, and of course games. lots of extra junk to keep me using the tool for everything but what it was meant for.

visor is slim, built in metal cover, metal body construction, and silent alarm.

Keep it simple and your life will never again be so complex!

My wife’s Palm III is dying… the screen is doing weird things and the digitizer is going bad. She uses it all the time, but doesn’t want or need anything fancier (color, mp3 capability, hi-res, etc).

So for me, this item is PERFECT. Also considering she’s lost data three times because she doesn’t sync with the computer much. Having the expansion card will solve that… you can do a backup snapshot to the card in about 10 seconds. Whee!

Thank you woot!

One customer very happy with his first woot purchase.

-Danimal 8)

I’d buy one in a heartbeat! I almost got a full C64 system for free, monitor, disk drive, games, all working…unfortunately he changed his mind at the last minute.

I do have a Vic20 though. The wave of the future!