Icon Link Carabiner LED Flashlight

In for two. Appeals to two of my favorite OCD tendencies, flashlights and carabiner clips!

Increasing the voltage to an LED above its rating will kill said LED. Not only can you find that information on the web, but, I can vouch from personal experience…

I also read on a white paper from an LED manufacturer that you can’t use Lumens to measure light output from an LED. The engineer may well know his stuff, but everyone seems to be rating them by Lumens. shrug

One last technical note - one meter rating means very little about how water resistant this might be. Read about water resistance for watches and you’ll see what I mean.

Length: 4 inches
Weight: 3.1 ounces

I think it’s too heavy to go on a keychain, sadly.

The commenter was joking … I think.  Anyhow, I took it as a joke.

Woot with a Federal Firearms License would be quite something.  Handguns, rifles, and shotguns for the daily deals.  Ammunition, holsters, slings, bipods, and so on for the side deals … shoot.woot!

I don’t see the size of his “flashlivhtlisted” in the stats. Can somebody please tell me how big it is?

Would that be “flexed” or unflexed?

It’s a digitally voltage regulated light. You aren’t increasing the light output with a new battery or anything short of replacing or modifying the regulator.

Anybody know how durable the carabiner is? I tend to break them often.

I have had one of these for several years. Bright white (almost blue) light. 2 light brightness settings. Great grip cut into the aluminium case. Buying another couple right now.

Icon flashlights appear to be well made. bought 2 of a different model back a while and am surprised at the weight (heavy), quality and light output especially on high beam. my version uses 2 AA rather than one. but, judging from the quality this looks like a good deal for a lower output light.

One would think the Specs page would have the dimensions. With all this Woot webpage upgrades and new format in the end it is just the same lame stories and no info

I bought two of the Icon Rogue 2 flashlights that were for sale two weeks ago:
http://sport.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5082299

I love mine (keeping the silver one and giving the black one to my dad for his birthday). They look and feel great in the hand, and they’re brighter than any flashlight I’ve ever owned, so I’m a pretty satisfied customer.

Very, very tempted to get on of these small ones to hang off my bag.

Thanks to all the reviews in for 3 of these.No more buying those large square over priced batteries any more.Compact size and light weight perfect size for a household flash light.Thanks

Would rechargeable batteries work ok for these? I bought some on Woot recently and wondered if this is a good use for them. Thanks.

I’m not sure why but the orange one keeps calling to me. I don’t have a use for this format but I’m not sure how long I can resist the siren’s call.

It’s a flashlight. You’ll find a use. :slight_smile:

True, it has to be a lot more durable than these.

I just wanted to say that the product description pretty much nailed “Dual Survival.” All that was missing was a reference to “respecting the animals we killed with a stick” some pseudo-Native American spirituality and a dash of herbal medicine.

I’m leery of wire 'biner clips - I have one on a cheap, non-climbing caarabiner that’s cockeyed. My impression was that it had twisted, but maybe it was installed badly.

Given the positive reviews by people who actually have this item, I think I may have to get one or two. One orange, for sure.

False. These boost regulator designs will direct drive the LED if given a high enough input voltage (a bit over 3.(n) volts), minus a very small voltage drop across a current sensing resistor and transistor, “maybe” a diode too. It is very risky to use any battery type that has a fully charged voltage above the LED manufacturer’s rating for forward voltage, and even then a 1 x AA light usually doesn’t have enough heatsinking to support full spec’d drive current for a 3W LED, though I am not so sure this has a 3W LED, at 50 lumens and 3 hours runtime from a AA cell, it’s probably a 1W LED or at least driven at 1W or less.

Inexpensive flashlights tend to have either boost or buck switching regulation. Having both is costly, takes up space, and lowers efficiency. Since it is boost, all it can do is either pass the full battery voltage or boost it, except in the case of low mode. You might be able to run a 14500 in low mode but it doesn’t make much sense when you can do high mode with a common NiMH except with the 14500 you have higher power density but really someone caring about this factor would pick a different light running off a 18650 or at least 18500 cell instead.

Not only will they work, NiMH cells are highly recommended for any 1 x AA (or especially 1 x AAA) light running at 1W or higher drive current because alkaline cells struggle to supply enough current and suffer voltage depression (droop, lower than normal voltage) which results in lower light output, dropping below the minimum voltage the boost circuit needs, AND lowering realized capacity (mAH).

For example if this light is 75% efficient in the voltage boost circuit and drives the LED at 1W-

1W / (1.5V cell * 0.75) = 888mA drive current. Now see the following chart comparing realized capacity of a few different AA cell chemistries: