Igloo Ice Makers - Your Choice

Your post was not helpful. His questions are all reasonable considering the Specs here give Zero information. I also wondered if it could run from a 12v socket in the car, or failing that, how much wattage it eats up so I can tell if my small inverter will do the job.

If I deserve an insult for this, let 'er fly.

The problem is that you have constantly take out the ice and put in water. Each batch is 1.5 lbs and to get 26 lbs of ice a day you will need to hoover over it 24/7.

I’ve got this icemaker and use it every day. BE WARNED! It is super tiny. The ice bin is 7"x5"x3". I was shocked when it arrived, because our last icemaker was twice the size and made WAAAAAAY more ice. Quirks with this machine: when one little ice cube is above the level of the ice bin, the sensor is triggered so it stops making ice. It’s a problem because the ice piles up on the back side of the bin, and the bin only gets about 2/3’s of the way full. Another quirk is the sensor. I have it in a side room, and because of the little window, human movement causes the sensor to trigger. So if the bin is full, its supposed to sit quietly. But…a human being walks toward it and the motor starts! It pulls water into the chamber, empties it, pulls it up again and empties it again. Then goes back to sitting quietly until the next time you move anywhere near it. Its a pretty strange little machine, but it does the job if your ice need is small. Oh, and USE COLD WATER. It makes ice twice as quickly if you do.

The ice cubes this makes are the best for chewing ice I’ve ever had. Even better than Sonic ice. Really. And the cubes are soft enough that my husband can’t even hear me chewing it.

Love, love, love this ice maker.

Does this machine store ice or does it only make it to be used immediately?

What a POS! Bought one of these from Woot several months ago. It worked great for about 10 days then it crapped out. I don’t know about a warrantee…I’m just po’d about the whole thing… Grrrrr!

As I remember mine uses 1.25A@120VAC.

Those 12VDC coolers are thermoelectric and very inefficient. This ice maker is vapor-cycle (has a tiny compressor). You could run it off of a small inverter if necessary.

I can’t speak to the longevity of a refurbished model as the one I have was bought a year ago via the mother ship. So far it has worked fine and seen lots of use. We got it for camping and usually put it on a picnic table outdoors. You have to feed it a bottle or glass of water now and then when the reservoir gets low. Also, it isn’t made to keep ice frozen so if you don’t use all the ice as its made, it melts back into the reservoir and recycles. It probably wouldn’t keep up with the demands of a large “party” but it has nice portability for smaller get togethers. It also worked non-stop in the house for four or five weeks while kitchen remodeling as a temporary cheap solution.

My family has several of these. One stays in the RV and works only on football weekends. The other stays in the kitchen and is used for 4-6 hours each evening. They have both been in use for nearly a year and work flawlessly. I have a particular family member that is an ice chewer and he like the ‘cubes’ because they crunch easily. It makes little doughnut hole cylinders that have a very low density.

We have been pleased.

i bought mine over two years ago 10/15 and used it literally every day at least six hours a day. absolutely loved it until it gave up the ghost this morning then bought another one from amazon. i give it the coveted dan easter seals of approval