iGo Charger with 12 AA Batteries

4 Stars from Amazon Users

Tons of discussion from this Previous Sale which came with 8 batteries.

Does anyone know the capacity of the batteries in mAH?

Doing a little digging through reviews, I believe they are supposed to be 2000mAh, however after a few cycles of charging people are getting around 1250mAh - YMMV

Bought these last time they were offered. After 2 recharges, they no longer hold a charge for more than 5 min. Not Impressed. At least they can just be thrown away.

Did you buy new rechargeable of a different brand and use them in the charger from this deal?

Keep in mind that these are rechargeable ALKALINE batteries, not NiMH. There are Pros and Cons, but in my opinion, the Cons outweigh the Pros, and technology, which as been around since the 80’s, is dead.

PROS

• Pre-charged and ready to use, like any other alkaline battery
  • Has 1.5V, not 1.2V like NiMH and NiCds. Some older devices, like my Olympus voice recorder, need the full 1.5V to operate.
  • Holds a charge in storage as long as any normal alkaline battery, i.e. 5+ years. Ordinary NiMH batteries self-discharge within months. Even low self-discharge NiMHs like Eneloops don’t hold a charge that long although the latest generation Eneloops do pretty well.

CONS

• Certain high drain devices, such as cameras, do better with NiMH batteries than alkalines.
  • Here is the worst Con and it’s a BIGGIE… Rechargeable alkalines are a B-I-T-C-H to maintain. Unlike modern NiMH batteries which are basically maintenance free, alkalines are VERY picky about when they need to be charged. If you wait until they’re depleted, the battery is irreparably ruined. They need to be charged when they’re about 50% depleted. If they get any lower, the battery loses capacity. THe biggest problem is that there is no way to normally determine how depleted the batteries are. For example, do you know how depleted your remote control batteries are? How about the battery in wall clock or flashlight? The fact is that most devices don’t have a power gauge to tell you how much power is left. And those thatdo, i.e digital cameras, aren’t very accurate. Simply put, most rechargeable alkalines have a lifespan of only a few recharge cycle before they noticiably deteriorate. That’s because most people simply don’t recharge them when they should, at about 50% depletion. It’s a dead technology…

See my post regarding maintenance. Basically, you HAVE to charge them when they’re about 50% empty. If you wait any longer, the chemistry gets damaged. Most people say that it’s irreversible although I’ve seen some users talk about renewing the batteries through several cycles of trickle charging and discharging. Before NiMHs became popular, RayoVac touted rechargeable alkalines but it quickly died because people hated the maintenance.

If you buy this Woot, just pretend that you’re buying 12 ordinary alkaline batteries with a charger. And that’s a pretty decent deal at $10. If you’re lucky enough to get a few recharge cycles out of them, consider that a bonus.

Great post! I figured this out on my own after some trial and error. I have a digital battery tester which really helps in determining when to recharge batteries. One thing to add is that some people treat rechargeable alkalines like like early NiCads, which were better to nearly drain due to “memory” problems. As you and other posters noted, that will render rech. alks. nearly useless.

I bought this and am happy with it. Why? 1) I use it correctly. ALL of the alkalines are still in use after more than a year. 2) The iGo also recharges NiMHs! You get a useful charger AND 12 batteries; for the price, that’s a pretty good deal!

Thank you for this.

I did the same, total crap. The ones that didn’t die rapidly eventually leaked. Junk.

Excellent post, I wish these batteries came with such useful information.

Should also point out due to vinyl cover these are actually slightly larger than normal AA batteries. Just be careful what you put them in they often become stuck.

Thanks for the info…I got some of these a while back when they had a deal. They seem to work OK, but lately I’ve noticed that when I put a “fresh” set in a Wii remote, it seems to start out at 75% (the Wiimote flashes 1-4 LED’s to show battery life). I’ve been thinking perhaps it was a side effect of storing them in an unplugged charger…but sounds like it is because I let them discharge too low. They still do OK, but nothing fantastic. I’ll try to charge them more often. I’ve also noticed that when charging, each battery appears to charge individually…in a set of two, often one will indicate charged very quickly, and the other keeps on charging for hours. Swap them around and maybe then it reverses itself…just doesn’t seem to know how to charge them properly either…but maybe I’m reading too much into it.

I guess not a bad deal if you get a few charge cycles out of them, but doesn’t seem to be a great product.

I bought this from a previous Woot. I like the charger. It charges the batteries individually and doesn’t heat them up. I don’t know whether it’s a 3 stage but it’s a lot better than the usual charger. My suggestion: buy this, use the batteries till they weaken and toss them but keep the charger. The next time Eneloops come up on Woot, get them and toss the charger that came with them. Then you’ll have a good combination.

Thx for the good post sdc100.

I bought these last time as emergency backup batteries and IMO for the price, they work better for that than the newer tech batteries.

Less recharge maintenance needed. Works for me.

I’ll save y’all the effort of the obligatory post whining about how these batteries compare to eneloops…

Oooops… I see that’s already been done. No work for me here :slight_smile:

Thanks for Pros & Cons. Never had good luck in past w/ chargers or their battery lives. Now just get a 12 pack here or there on sale & stick in back of fridge. Toss when test flashlight isn’t bright. Fridge old photo habit to retard chem action, stay fresher. Humidity no prob w/ new ones.