InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 DLP Projector

Welcome to the InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 DLP Projector topic page for Monday, April 4th. Please post your questions, experiences, or pricing comments here.

THE CORRECT PRICING FOR THIS IS $749.99.

sorry to confuse everyone. :oops:

InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 DLP Projector
The show must go on your wall
$749.99 + $5 Shipping and Handling
The screen size at the neighborhood cinema is pretty boss, but why put up with the inconsiderate cell-phone blabbers, disconcertingly sticky floors and public displays of teenaged lust, just to see Casey Affleck’s head nine feet tall? Oh, and did you hear about the one lady who went to see The Real Cancun and sat on a hypodermic needle? It had a note attached that said “SURPRISE NOW YOU HAVE SICKLE CELL ANEMIA.”

It’s probably not a true story, but we ain’t risking a trip to the theatre anyway.

And why should we? Indeed, after today, why should any Wooter? Today we’ve got the The InFocus ScreenPlay 4805, a Howitzer of a home entertainment projector that shines like a beacon of salvation to agorophobic cinephiles everywhere. With a screen size that can fill a wall, the InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 will give your so-called “friends” inferiority complexes about their so-called “big screen” TVs, and turn your living room into a total-immersion home entertainment pleasure palace.

This isn’t one of those business boardroom Powerpoint projectors you sometimes see upsold for home use. This is a thoroughbred Home Theater unit. One difference is award-winning InFocus innovation, which gives you a finer picture—you’ll discover details you didn’t even know were there. It’s got a reputation in home entertainment circles as the benchmark projector under $2,000, and is the main reason InFocus has the big, fat market share they do.

The unit is as easy to set up as Lee Harvey Oswald, and works in any room with your DVD player, cable or satellite receiver, VCR, game player and more!

An optical zoom lens enables you to adjust the huge image to fit virtually any size screen from any location, with perfect focus and clarity. Native 16:9 widescreen format gives you movie-theater proportions, so finally you have a big, bright, high-resolution image that compliments your surround sound and DVD.

Start measuring your screen width in feet, not inches. On game days, your buddies will cower in fear as larger-than-life pro ballers seem to stampede into your den. Video game characters will taunt you: puny human! And wait until those stoners see Pink Floyd’s the Wall on—dude—YOUR WALL. Minds will blow.

Specs and Features:

* Condition: Recertified by InFocus, 90 day warranty
* The ScreenPlay 4805 uses native 16:9 DarkChip2T DLPT technology from Texas Instruments, the only display solution that creates an entirely digital connection between a source and the screen in front of you.
* Academy-Award-Winning Enhanced Faroudja DCDi Video Processing — The images are produced with ultimate fidelity: clear and artifact-free, without those jagged lines you see on some large-format displays.
* Incredible Movies, Games, TV and More — Project everything with amazing color, size and clarity. Plug in any type of game box and jump into the action, show off your vacation photos from your digital camera or camcorder, or enjoy front-row seating for your favorite team by attaching to your TV.
* Lightweight Package — At 7.8 lbs (3.5 kg) the ScreenPlay 4805 is light enough to take to a friend’s house – small enough to carry under your arm.
* The 4805 boasts a six-position optimized 4x color wheel, eliminating the “rainbow effect” that can plague business projectors with slower color wheels
* Higher video optimized lumens than the 4800 with 750 lumen output
* Native 16:9 DLP chip
* Unlike the dual mode 4800, the 4805 is more of a dedicated video projector with higher video lumens but lower data lumen capaiblity
* Superior Faroudja chip to the 4800’s for smoother video images
* Double the video optimized contrast ratio as the 4800 at 2000:1

timeshifts suck

i;ve always wanted one of these… ;]

[size=24:3efa6aa027]froogle price: $1099
woot price: $749[/size:3efa6aa027]

check out www.studiotraffic-ny.com (learn how i make a living online - make up to $750 a day… forget the o’l 9-5)

Whiner’s list

openintro - 1 (post thankfully deleted by GC. Still gets credit tho.)
1tab - 2
mac daddy - 1
Total - 4

Reviews for 4805 at:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/InFocus_Home-ScreenPlay_4805.htm
http://www.plasmacity.com/PROJECTOR/INFOCUS/4805.htm

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/InFocus_ScreenPlay_4805.htm
http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=3211

nice woot tonight. this is one of my dream items, because thats the only place i’ll ever see it lol. Closest froogle comes is $999.95

http://www.craigandjamiearepoor.com – because you’ve been there

So that took a while.

Pete
www.mobilereviews.net

great opportunity for anyone who missed out on the 4800
or anyone who held out for something better

i’m ecstatic with my 4800 though :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I’m pretty sure you can’t contract sickle cell anemia from a dirty needle. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

hmmmmm… debating

Thee Hammer

Great item but how bad does the ‘rainbow effect’ appear on these?

What page am I on ??? Spring ahead help me get here

I hope it’s worth it… My wife’s gonna kill me when she see what I bought… Oh well, she’s getting new furniture on Tuesday.

Everywhere this item is 999 or more…
How long is the bulb life?

Bulb life is rated at 4000 hours.

InFocus confirms that 80% of these units have less than 1% of bulb life used with a 10% maximum.

It sounds like WOOT has a great price for this one.

InFocus ScreenPlay 4805
No longer a “tarted up” office projector
By Tony Davey

September 2004
InFocus ScreenPlay 4805 DLP projector. $3999

About this time last year, I had my first experience with Infocus and a DLP projector in the form of the Infocus Screenplay 4800.

This projector was released by Infocus in competition to the then hugely popular Panasonic PTAE-300 and was sold via the home theatre dealers’ network. The problem with the 4800 was that it was little more than an office projector with a few tweaks to try to make it more suited to home theatre use and to differentiate it from the X1.

Infocus Screenplay 4805
Differences tell

Twelve months later we have another offering from Infocus, the Screenplay 4805. Coincidentally, Infocus have also recently released the X2, the replacement for the X1. This time round, there can be no mistaking the significant differences between the projectors, the X2 is designed as an office projector (brighter lumen count 4:3 native aspect ratio and no component input) with the 4805 targeted at the home theatre market, a native 858 x 480 widescreen panel and 750 ansi lumens. The 4805 utilises the new TI (Texas Instruments) Darkchip2 DLP chip which helps the 4805 achieve its 2000:1 published contrast.

The marketing hype received with the review model stated “easy to use, fun to watch”. Well, they were right, review done, thanks for reading it.

Oh, some details, okay then…

Set up of the 4805 was simple, and provided great flexibility for both placement (medium throw lens had a 100 inch picture from about four metres away) and with connections (all the standard connections as well as the inclusion of a DVI input). I utilised the component output from the NAD 533 DVD player.

4805 rear

There are multiple picture adjustments available, including pre-set gamma levels for film, video, “natural” and PC, each providing differing levels of “brightness”. The film picture mode provided the most pleasing picture in my opinion with deepest blacks and picture depth. Focus and zoom are both manual and the picture is readily adjusted for optimum clarity.
To infinity…

With a young son whom is a huge “Buzz” fan, I seem to be watching more than my fair share of the Toy Story DVD’s lately, but on the 4805, it certainly wasn’t a chore.

For a $4,000 projector, the 4805 presented a wonderful picture. DLP in general suffers from less of the “digital nasties” than some similarly priced LCD projectors (blacks are typically blacker and screen door is less of an issue), this certainly applies to the 4805. I find on my current Phillips LCD projector (which has the same resolution as the 4805) that animation quickly shows up the screen door effect, not so with the 4805. Colours were vibrant on the (recommended for DVD) 6500k colour setting and the 2000:1 contrast ratio certainly assisted their 3D depth and vibrancy.

One advancement over the 4800 was the near absence of rainbows or eyestrain. Both these are relatively common to DLP projectors and can be a deal breaker to many prospective purchasers. The 4800 I found difficult to watch due to both these traits (and my wife couldn’t watch it at all) but not so the 4805. There was the odd “flicker” of colour bursts, but certainly nothing I would call problematic. This is helped by the six segment, four speed colour wheel, a significant improvement from the four segment, two speed wheel of the 4800.
Shadow detail and depth

Not content with only animation for review, I also sampled multiple scenes from various movies. From the party scene in Gladiator after the victory in Germania, through to the wonderful Japanese (okay, New Zealand) scenery in The Last Samurai, the picture presented was stunning. Black levels were more than acceptable (certainly an improvement over the Epson TW-200) with plenty of shadow detail and depth and given its resolution limitations, detail was quite satisfactory. The vibrant colour in Toy Story carried through to live film, where they felt lifelike and well represented. I would caution people over trying to get a picture bigger than 100 inches, the resolution and image quality tends to degrade and brightness suffers.

While no direct A/B comparison could be made between this and the TW200, if it was my money crossing the counter, I’d give very careful consideration to taking home the 4805. The DLP issues that plagues earlier models seem to have all but disappeared, resolution may not be as high on the 4805 as the TW200, but for DVD viewing, this is not a significant factor and if you don’t need the lens shift capabilities of the TW200, then in my opinion, the 4805 is the stronger performer. :lol:

Product review for those interested

Great deal. Maybe once I pay off the car, then I might be able to finally afford one of these bad boys! Anyone need a set of those dell speakers?

http://www.aaoseller.com

[size=18:04565873cd][color=red:04565873cd]
IS it NEW or Refurbished?

Didn’t see either mentioned.

[/color][/size:04565873cd]

Dang man that is the sweetest that I know of.