Intel 320 Series 160GB Solid State Drive

I’ll have to agree with you, I imagine he was stating that information more for the good of others (that wouldn’t realize that SSDs sometimes need firmware updates) vs his own situation. Having said that, refurbed 5 year old HDs should only be purchased by people that really understand the potential implications of what their buying.

Christ was still a carpenter when this drive came out.

Sounds painful.

This, from the description:

The Intel SSD 320 Series features new industry leading, compute-quality Intel 25nm NAND Flash memory…

“Compute-quality”?

The answer to the question: What you get 30 minutes after departing Taco Bell?

All of the previous comments are on point about us, SATA2, etc.

While I’m maybe receptive to a product like this as a cheap upgrade to old laptops, it would have to actually be cheap. This is not cheap. $20 each I could see. Because I’m gonna order 3, check them for firmware and function when they arrive, then sit them on the shelf until the next time I need a cheap laptop upgrade for someone.

I told your auto mechanic what you said. He told me he can’t wait for you to bring your car in for service next time. I hope you can help him find his oil pan. XD

Here are some useful HDD / SSD utilities:

SSD Life: http://ssd-life.com/

SSD Life is pay for software, but a free trial is available for download. SSD Life’s diagnostic results include such useful information as how many hours a drive has been used and it predicts approximately how much of drive’s expected life remains.

HDTune: HD Tune website

HDTune is free for personal use, but lacks many features of the pro version. However, the features that are available are very useful including drive information, drive health (SMART), an error scan utility, and low level bench-marking.

HDD Low Level Format Tool: HDDGURU: HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool

Like HDTune, HDD LLF is free for home use, though the speed of the utility is capped. This low level formatting tool does exactly what it says on the tin. It erases the surface of the drive destroying data, partitions and previous formatting leaving you with a clean drive. This is especially useful for drives formatted in such a way that some OS installers are prevented from reading the drive or installing the OS (such as gpt).

This drive also formats SSD drives, USB thumb drives as well as flash memory such as Memory Stick, CompactFlash, SD and MMC.

I don’t know. I deal with a lot of flash issues in my work, and there’s nothing worse than an unreliable primary storage device. These were all returned for a reason. The horrible thing with flakey flash storage is that you can have defects which won’t show up in normal production test, so these could readily pass the refurbishing test process and still be time bombs.