internal or external HDD?

OK, all you computer gurus - I’m looking for a little advice.

I have a 250 GB IDE HDD from an old computer. I have a nice, shiny new computer that uses SATA. My question is thus: would I be better off installing the IDE drive in the new computer using an IDE to SATA adapter, or should I buy an external USB enclosure and convert the IDE drive to a USB drive?

Thoughts or comments?

[quote user=“allgoodpeople”]OK, all you computer gurus - I’m looking for a little advice.

I have a 250 GB IDE HDD from an old computer. I have a nice, shiny new computer that uses SATA. My question is thus: would I be better off installing the IDE drive in the new computer using an IDE to SATA adapter, or should I buy an external USB enclosure and convert the IDE drive to a USB drive?

Thoughts or comments?

[/quote]
External

Another option is to get an IDE card for around $15. Ones that cheap typically allow you to add four internal IDE devices.

sshhhhh…

[quote user=“allgoodpeople”]OK, all you computer gurus - I’m looking for a little advice.

Thoughts or comments?

[/quote]

I find it strange that your new computer doesn’t have IDE connections, even if it has SATA ports. Are all the onboard IDE controllers full (two drives each)? If so, then your best bet would be the external, as it is easier, and then you can use the drive for moving data, if the need arises in the future.

Thoughts or comments?

[/quote]

Why not use the internal IDE? I thought most computers still have that, since most CD/DVD drives still use standard IDE.

[quote user=“Binaural”]
I find it strange that your new computer doesn’t have IDE connections, even if it has SATA ports. Are all the onboard IDE controllers full (two drives each)? If so, then your best bet would be the external, as it is easier, and then you can use the drive for moving data, if the need arises in the future.[/quote]

Oh, I had never thought of that. I don’t know what it has on the MOBO for connectors. I just bought the HP w/monitor a couple weeks back but I won’t actually see the system in person for a couple months (I’m in Iraq). I’m just thinking ahead because my sister wants to buy my old computer which I just put an extra 250 GB drive in about a year ago to act as media storage.

My plan was to yank all the good parts I still want out of the old system, put them in the new system and then sell the old computer to my sister for cheap. I haven’t messed with SATA at all, so I just kind of assumed the MOBO would have converted completely to SATA rather than keep both IDE and SATA connectors.

Of course, now that you mention it, I suppose I could slave the 2 optical drives then connect the IDE HDD to the MOBO too. But this assumes there’s 2 IDE ports on the MOBO. I guess I’ll have to wait until I get home to see the actual MOBO layout.

BUT - assuming there is no organic way to connect the IDE HDD to the mobo, what would you do? I’ve been leaning towards the external enclosure simply because it does offer more flexibility in the long run. A 250GB USB HDD is a handy tool to have. If I want to access it over the network I can just share the drive.

Plus, I found a cool enclosure with shiny flashing lights lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817155212

I apologize for invading your forum up front, but feel this is worth while and will only take 15 seconds away from a chat.

Give the Gift of Site

Please donate any used pair of prescription glasses to help both children and adults that cannot afford clear vision, to see for the first time.

Not asking for money, just one pair (or as many as you can find laying around [h] ) to help people that cannot afford to see.

I will post pictures and stories from the Sonora, MX mission I will be on in September off site to show you what your contributions meant to the people in need.

Please send them to;

Luxottica Retail
Attn: Woody1
4000 Luxottica Place
Mason, OH 45040

I appreciate woot for allowing this to post, and the person with the most pairs sent in by Sept 12th, (nudge factor coming, and send them all together please, so they can be counted) will get a package worth over $500 including a new Home Toshiba DVD Recorder and Dell 5.1 speaker set. This comes out of my pocket; this is just one of many, and I do mean many, charities I try to support.

External

Another option is to get an IDE card for around $15. Ones that cheap typically allow you to add four internal IDE devices.

sshhhhh…

I find it strange that your new computer doesn’t have IDE connections, even if it has SATA ports. Are all the onboard IDE controllers full (two drives each)? If so, then your best bet would be the external, as it is easier, and then you can use the drive for moving data, if the need arises in the future.

Why not use the internal IDE? I thought most computers still have that, since most CD/DVD drives still use standard IDE.

Oh, I had never thought of that. I don’t know what it has on the MOBO for connectors. I just bought the HP w/monitor a couple weeks back but I won’t actually see the system in person for a couple months (I’m in Iraq). I’m just thinking ahead because my sister wants to buy my old computer which I just put an extra 250 GB drive in about a year ago to act as media storage.

My plan was to yank all the good parts I still want out of the old system, put them in the new system and then sell the old computer to my sister for cheap. I haven’t messed with SATA at all, so I just kind of assumed the MOBO would have converted completely to SATA rather than keep both IDE and SATA connectors.

Of course, now that you mention it, I suppose I could slave the 2 optical drives then connect the IDE HDD to the MOBO too. But this assumes there’s 2 IDE ports on the MOBO. I guess I’ll have to wait until I get home to see the actual MOBO layout.

BUT - assuming there is no organic way to connect the IDE HDD to the mobo, what would you do? I’ve been leaning towards the external enclosure simply because it does offer more flexibility in the long run. A 250GB USB HDD is a handy tool to have. If I want to access it over the network I can just share the drive.

Plus, I found a cool enclosure with shiny flashing lights lol

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817155212

I apologize for invading your forum up front, but feel this is worth while and will only take 15 seconds away from a chat.

Give the Gift of Site

Please donate any used pair of prescription glasses to help both children and adults that cannot afford clear vision, to see for the first time.

Not asking for money, just one pair (or as many as you can find laying around [h] ) to help people that cannot afford to see.

I will post pictures and stories from the Sonora, MX mission I will be on in September off site to show you what your contributions meant to the people in need.

Please send them to;

Luxottica Retail
Attn: Woody1
4000 Luxottica Place
Mason, OH 45040

I appreciate woot for allowing this to post, and the person with the most pairs sent in by Sept 12th, (nudge factor coming, and send them all together please, so they can be counted) will get a package worth over $500 including a new Home Toshiba DVD Recorder and Dell 5.1 speaker set. This comes out of my pocket; this is just one of many, and I do mean many, charities I try to support.