Internal Solid State Storage

Wooters what’s your opinion on the more reliable drive? Centon or Emtec?(Aren’t they the same company?)
----------Centon
Capacity: 120GB
Category: Solid State Drive
Form Factor: 2.5"
Format: Unformatted
Interface: SATA III
Read Speed (mb/s): 540
Voltage: 5.0V
Write Speed (mb/s): 360

---------Emtec
Interface: SATA III 6Gb/s (compatible with SATA II 3Gb/s)
Form Factor: 2.5 inch
Capacity: 120GB
Sequential Read: up to 550MB/s
Sequential Write: up to 160MB/s
Random Read (4KB): 73000 IOPS
Random Write (4KB): 40000 IOPS
MTBF: 1,500,000 hours
Advanced Flash Management: TRIM
SMART
Over-Provision

They are the same price with nearly identical read but a huge difference in write speed.
Can someone enlighten me?

emtec is garbage and super cheaply made…i will never by any product with their name on it.

That seems to be the general consensus…Anyone beg to differ?

I agree Centon is the way to go between these two.

But is it a decent product? Would you buy it if you were looking to get one or just hold out for a better brand?

Seeing how my data is pretty important, I would NOT consider either of these brands.

No company has perfect reliability, but when it comes to SSDs, I’d trust Crucial’s or Samsung’s track record on drives much more. Look around - they’re often on sale for around the same price points as these drives.

I would get neither of these. The prices aren’t at all compelling. You can get a Samsung drive for almost the same price with Newegg deals or Amazon specials. The software is actually value-add with the Samsung and they are recognised as being among if not the best drives in each category. These drives would be worth considering only if they significantly undercut all the competitions’ pricing, which they do not. Take another 33% off and they might be attractive as throw-aways for light usage systems.

The Centron is going to be the better drive because of the write speed which is almost 3x as fast. Centon is also a DRAM and Flash product based company.

Their ssd’s might be trash but so far, my EMTEC WiFi drive has survived a couple of long trips where the kids were watching movies and a couple of campouts. Just use it on trips to stream movies. I have found that just about any maker who is well known for memory makes pretty good reliable drives. PNY, Crucials, Samsung (which I have one of each) and even my Sandisk has been moving along well, but it makes a odd clicking noise sometimes. But when it comes down to it, people will buy the most they can for the cheapest price and even under the same brand name, you can get some junk. No different then mechanical drives. I prefer Segates because they do not generate as much heat and make less noise then WD’s. I have four 4tb’s drives in my NASbox. All segate NAS drives. The “health monitor” of the NAS box shows a pretty below normal temp reading while it’s spewing out a few streams of movies on movie night. Never hear them make much noise. Have one 4tb and a 3tb enterprise drive in my desktop (along with my Samsung SSD). RED ALERT… I ended up putting HDD coolers on both the WD drives and they sound like two beavers going at it.

Rowr, you really know how to turn a girl on!

Just as an additional data point: I just bought (2) Samsung 850 MZ-75E250B/AM 250GB SSDs on a special from Newegg for $85 each with free shipping. Given that Samsung is very highly rated, there are good deals to be had if you can afford to watch and wait.

I can only go with experience of Centon SD cards:

I’ve never had SD cards fail as quickly as the Centon ones (2x 64GB, Class 10) I got a while back. Neither lasted past 2 months. :frowning:

You can get a reliable and highly rated Crucial drive for $10ish more for each of the models. we order these by the 100’s at my workplace with no issues.

There’s so many more reliable highly rated brands that are only a few bucks more than these. Don’t waste your money, Go with something well know and solid.

Well said. I totally agree.

The Intel drive (a used version, not “refurbished”) is $24.50 cheaper on the mothership, although it’s a non-Amazon seller, fulfilled by Amazon.