Introducing Your Contenders for Derby #37: Greed

Derby #37 End Estimates by ShirtDerbyStats.com

1st Place:
Fog’d: 3 days, 14 hours
The Tycoon of ICE (1015 estimated votes)
by: jamescho84

http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/jamescho84/The_Tycoon_of_ICE-nuutsy-s.jpg

2nd Place:
Fog’d: 5 days, 11 hours
Love of Money (888 estimated votes)
by: Beefcoat

http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/Beefcoat/Love_of_Money-iyvwkr-s.jpg

3rd Place:
Fog’d: 11 hours, 57 minutes
Shell Competition (743 estimated votes)
by: kpetrasko

http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/kpetrasko/Shell_Competition-xif5re-s.jpg

4th Place:
Fog’d: 3 minutes
Oooo Shiney! (681 estimated votes)
by: dsladek

http://s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/wootdesigncontestentries/dsladek/Oooo_Shiney!-3deus0-s.jpg

I hope those numbers are wrong. I really want Oooo Shiney.

Since ‘Oooo Shiney’ was barely in the fog, it was bouncing in and out near the end, I’m sorry to tell you, it’s firmly in 4th place.

Very sad tgentry didn’t place… yet again.
“Mine!” was the best design and embodiment of greed out of the front-runners with some actual pertinent social commentary…but that’s just my taste. Although it was on cream, didn’t stop me from voting and was actually debating about purchasing if it got printed. At least I don’t have to address my aversion to cream this derby.
Sorry, just can’t do warm-and-fuzzy or cute renditions of greed… Grats to the winners regardless, I’m sure all the prints will sell well.

EDIT: on the fence re: Shell Competition, as it’s more aesthetic than cute imo and still looking for that 1st olive woot T.

TGent and Zenne had very likely the best shirts offered this time around, and it’s definitely sad that the two of them have missed a printing, but the fact is, with the possible exception of the dog with the bones (seriously, don’t get the appeal) we had a top-10 full of designs with some form of merit. To me, I’d rather have a fog of decent designs beat out the exceptional ones than the normal fog full of sub-mediocrity. So while I feel your pain seeing such great work fail to even fog, it’s a dull thudding compared to the salted wound I’m used to 'round this time.

And seriously, try a creme. You just might like it (especially if you own any pants which have a more brown or khaki complexion)

Congrats to two people who never placed in the fog before! I’m sad about dsladek being projected as fourth, I thought it was complicated and well done at the same time. Funny too. The snail one did wonders with a limited color set too.

I’m a little worried about how the hermit crab will print with that colour palette, myself, but I agree, it’s always nice to see new blood get a printing.

What I don’t understand, though, is the somewhat feverish insistence some people have over having everyone have a chance to win. I saw a lot of that sort of sniping at the end in the Hermit Crab thread, how the Crab deserves to win more because they’ve never been printed. I call bull. Not to say the crab doesn’t deserve a print, but simply put, lots of shirts did. We are supposed to be voting for the three best shirts every week, not the three people who most deserve a derby win because of financial issues or newness or having never printed before. If the three best shirts are TGent, Cho, and Riffmaster (I believe the three most-printed artists on woot) then those three should be printed. If the three best shirts are Newbie101, BlueFootedNewbie and Newb Saibot, those three should be printed. Easy Peasy. Although if there are indeed people who prefer “sharing the wealth” to voting up the best work, I’ve never printed. Please consider backing my shirts in the future. SHARE THE WEALTH!

yeah, my boyfriend likes that one…and i want the hermit crab. so i hope that both of those place.

agreed, the top 10 was pretty good this derby. assuming it was the $1000 bringing in some more talent, but didn’t really cross-check the names. The broad theme didn’t hurt either.

got a random cream T, the print certainly didn’t help, but the color wasn’t that hot on me either. prefer collared shirts w/ khakis; but point taken. i was hoping to try one out i liked, but alas… saved me some $ anyway.

:chaching:

I’m new to shirt Woot. I really like Oooo Shiney. If it doesn’t win is there any way to get the t-shirt?

[QUOTE=lunartan, post:5, topic:152545]
Very sad tgentry didn’t place… yet again.
“Mine!” was the best design and embodiment of greed out of the front-runners with some actual pertinent social commentary…but that’s just my taste. Although it was on cream, didn’t stop me from voting and was actually debating about purchasing if it got printed. At least I don’t have to address my aversion to cream this derby.
Sorry, just can’t do warm-and-fuzzy or cute renditions of greed… Grats to the winners regardless, I’m sure all the prints will sell well.

I agree wholeheartedly!

The fact that Mine! didn’t get printed is the biggest travesty I have ever witnessed.

Since it’s most likely in 4th place and will not win this week, the only options are if woot decides to give a surprise ‘4th place’ win (which they have only done once), or after the rights to the design go back to the designer (60-90 days from now, I can’t find the exact number right now) the designer can choose to print the shirt elsewhere, or even submit it as a daily on shirt.woot, or another shirt site.

And the last option is woot could do a ‘best of’ or editors choice kind of printing.

It should also be noted that Woot’s sole 4th place print (Derby Chomp) was printed under two rare circumstances… That week not only saw two near identical concepts print in a row from the derby (trees in winter), but was maybe a day or two before Christmas. Woot’s official claim is “holiday spirit” granted us the extra shirt. I know, it sounds like a broken record, but it bears repeating… never expect a fourth place shirt to be printed, unless woot starts printing extra derby entries as dailies (and even then, more often than not it will probably not be the 4th place entry that is printed). Taking this advice may stave off hundreds of useless posts begging for the fourth place shirt, as well as hundreds more whining about how the prior useless posts got deleted.

I know it’s too much to hope for a 3-way tie for 3rd, but a girl can dream, right?

oooh Shiny isn’t quite to my taste, but it’s a very well-done shirt. I lurve the hermit crabs, but yet really wanted the shirts from tgentry and zenne, too. i wish I could vote more than once…

This conflicted feeling is getting old, loving the 4th -6th place finishers is frustrating!