IRIS USA: Pet Feeding & Training

Love the picture of Gavin. Rescued dogs are the best dogs! I have one named Rascal.

Hey friends!

I’m Gavin’s mom and was so thrilled to have an opportunity to show off my new baby beagle’s stunning looks. Gavin is a recent rescue beagle from Lost Paws of Carrollton. He is 9 months old and has already been through a roller coaster, he was found in a puppy mill and then put in a high kill shelter. Thankfully he was pulled from the shelter group by another rescue group and then transferred over to Lost Paws rescue.
When I locked eyes with this cutie I knew he was the one. I am so happy to be his furever home.

Hi Gavin’s mom, thanks for saving him. He is a lucky dog

While Gavin is a simply ravishing model, I don’t recommend using elevated food bowls for your dogs unless they have a medical need, especially if you have a large dog.

Here’s one study showing that this can lead to increased risk of bloat:
http://avmajournals.avma.org/doi/abs/10.2460/javma.2000.217.1492?prevSearch=allfield%3A(bloat+risk)&searchHistoryKey=&

“Cumulative incidence of GDV during the study was 6% for large breed and giant breed dogs. Factors significantly associated with an increased risk of GDV were increasing age, having a first-degree relative with a history of GDV, having a faster speed of eating, and having a raised feeding bowl. Approximately 20 and 52% of cases of GDV among the large breed and giant breed dogs, respectively, were attributed to having a raised feed bowl.”

Thanks for the compliment :slight_smile: the good thing about the elevated pet feeder is you can take the top of it. It’s a great way to store your pet’s food and keeping the feeding area organized :slight_smile:

http://home.woot.com/offers/large-elevated-feeder-w-airtight-storage-smoke it was too high for Gavin’s reach :slight_smile:

The obvious answer here is to adopt basset hounds because they’re too short for them anyway and they’re freaking adorable.

Though yes it would be a nice way to stay organized especially for single dog homes.

does anyone have the storage container? I am wondering how it does when filled to capacity; I could really use something like this. I buy catfood in the 18lb sacks, and that should be fine, but what I really need is something like this for litter storage - that stuff is heavy to move around, and much heavier than the food items that are mentioned in the specs.

I’ve got the storage container set - purchased at Amazon. I liked it well enough to buy a second set a few months ago.

The large container holds about 25lbs of small dog kibble with a little room to spare. I put birdseed in the 2nd one & I’ve probably put about 30 lbs. in that container w/out issue.

They have a good seal. I left one filled with seed outside during a storm, and no water got in.

does anyone have the IRIS CI-604 Black 4 Panel Plastic Play Pen? i was hoping to grab 2 and link them together, was wondering if that was possible?

Yes, most definately. I bought two and made an 8 panel pen out of them. The dogs love it! The panels are so easy to assemble and disassemble. All you have to do is stick the connecting rod in and you are done. I love it!

We picked up a couple of the unleashed life Castro orange wire and stainless food bowls on a recent Woot sale and they absolutely rock. They look great in our modern home, you can’t get easier to clean than stainless, and the wire design seems to prevent ant invasions.

I have the white one just like this and LOVE it. I have done away with the crates and all three of our dogs sleep together at night or when we go away in it. I actually have 6 panels and there is enough room for a bed, a food and water dish and their toys and gives them plenty of room. Nice and sturdy.

This is one of my top ten (of my nine) purchases I have made. :wink:

I used to have a separate container and an elevated dog feeder. This feeder is great to keep clean, and keep the dry food fresh.

Thanks Woot!