iRobot Scooba Floor Washing Robot

froogle

and google video search

and another review (Australia):

and Australia product page with video:
http://www.roomba.com.au/scooba385.php

Cats use litter boxes, litter gets trapped in soft little paws, litter dislodged onto floors, floors need cleaning… Question: can scooba effectively clean the floors of homes with cats???

Simple, logical question… And don’t try to imply that a home with cats has litter all over it’s floors… Unless you hoard cats, homes with cats are like any other home with one or more pets.

worked great while it lasted. Only used it a few times and it broke. I-Robot customer service is horrible and I did not buy this off woot I bought it thru them. Have several of their products and they are great but would never by one of these again.

2D batteries? Where do I get those? I only find batteries in 3D. Do I need to be a flatlander to get those batteries?

Nerd!
Anyone who know what Flatland is deserves to be home alone on a Saturday night posting on Woot…

I wrote that staring at a mirror. :slight_smile:

I am an avid Roomba fan and an early adopter back in 2003. So I had to have this one too cuz I hate mopping.
I bought this Woot back in Nov 2010. I still haven’t been able to mop a floor yet. The units they keep sending get stuck emitting the water. I am on unit #4 and just got tired of shipping it back.
So add the cost of posting the replacement back to iRobot a few times to the price and then just buy the newer model.
Even though I’ve had four units they’ve refused to upgrade me to the current model. Support people have been great at sending replacements for a poor product.
Pass on this one. Just pass…

One more for the night: This looks like the manual

http://choisirsonaspirateur.info/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/iRobot_Scooba_Service_Manual.pdf

Love my Roomba (bought it here) and after 2 years it is still going strong. My entire living room and kitchen are tile, so it would get good use. At half price, I am tempted, but it seems expensive.

I stand corrected. But at half the price, this Woot is still a bargain.

My mom got one of those vacuum ones as a gift and thought it was brilliant. She went out and got this one for the kitchen floor. The novelty of it wore off after a couple of uses. The thing just sprays water all over the floor and leaves it up to us to go back over it and wipe it dry. Or we would just pick one side of the house to stay on before it drys up. So whenever I would be back home on the weekends, she’ll usually clean the kitchen floor and tell me to dry them afterwards. I could only pretend I was in Spirited Away so many times before I just stopped using it and just went back to mopping (then again, it could also be because it’s broken…).

I’ve had a Scooba for 2 years now. Had trouble with it when I didn’t keep it clean. Now I take it apart and clean it once a month (take 15 min) and it works great. And it doesn’t leave water all over the floor. Still have original battery. Vacuum feature is for small debris, you are better off sweeping before you run Scooba. I move all the carpets from the kitchen and turn on Scooba as I leave for work. I come home to clean floors. Love it.

Got one out of a Baggie o Crappola. The one complaint I have about it is they stopped making the floor cleaner with the Clorox in it, which smelled nice and was very good at cleaning. The crap they sell now is “all natural”, which loosely translates into it smells like the sphincter of a dead squirrel and is about as good at cleaning as a mop covered in tar.

Oh, to those asking about cats - no, it won’t clean up their litter, and it’s not supposed to. It’s a floor WASHING robot, not a floor SWEEPING robot. You still have to sweep the floor just like always. If you don’t, the Scooba will become clogged very quickly.

I saw it on Amazon but it turns out they’re selling one bottle for almost $50. Ridiculous. An amazon review points to another product, a Hospital Cleaner (holy moly expensive shipping) which is a “non-soap based hospital grade cleaner” and somehow, supposedly, works fine. (links include amazon affiliate code, feel free to edit out the tag= part if you’re against that sort of thing)

I’d suggest finding a specialty store maybe that sells the stuff without ridiculous shipping, or a good supply store near you that you can just buy from directly. And as always, your mileage may vary.

Answer: Yes. We pick up large crud like newspapers, but we don’t pre-sweep. Kitty crunchies & litter castoffs are no problem. They get swept up by Scooba (vacuumed) right before the washing head/brushes go over the spot. It won’t get up 3-week old jam ground into linoleum, but if you work at that daily, the jam will slowly come up.

I don’t think the cleaning stuff stinks. you use 1 capful, the cap on top of the bottle. With the Clorox-made solution, you used more. (I’m not knocking the Clorox). If you use more (or have a sensitive nose) it probably will stink. If you put your nose right up to the open bottle, it stinks. I don’t have a sensitive nose, but I live with one, and the smell doesn’t bother him.

This thing looks interesting but I’ve seen the movie so I’m not quite sure what to think. It may not look menacing but the thought will always be in the back of my mind and I’ll probably end up sleeping with one eye open. Will Smith isn’t just gonna pop-up outta no where and save me if need be. I’m not sure I’m ready for this type of commitment yet.

If this is a Euro model, then it operates at 240v and you will have to use an transformer with it otherwise you will ruin it and possibly cause a fire!

I’m confused. Why can’t you simply use something like Hoover AH30265 Floor Mate 48-Ounce Multi-Floor Detergent? It’s $9.99 for 48oz with free s/h. Or Hoover AH30270 Floor Mate 32-Ounce 2X Concentrate Multi-Floor Detergent for the same price? And if you buy 3 bottles of either, the 4th is free.

How about other no-rinse detergents like all-purpose cleaners, like Formula 409? I have a Hoover Spinbrush and linoleum floors. Rather than waste money on expensive cleaners, I use Mistolin, the ultimate ghetto cleaner. A patient introduced me to the stuff, which is 99 cents a bottle and available at many Dollar Stores. She tells me that it’s used for cleaning everything in Puerto Rico, including dishes. It seems too toxic for that but I can see why it’s popular on non-food surfaces. It cleans and deodorizes quite effectively. In fact, its known for its overpowering scents. Lavender is the most popular but other scents are available. Mistolin is currently my preferred bathroom cleaner. I dilute a capful or two in 16 oz of water and spritz away. Why can’t it also be used in the Scooba? I don’t mind smelling like the ghetto if I’m saving 90% over name brand cleaners.

The Urban Dictionary describes Mistolin as:
*"A cheap tacky and smelly latin floor cleaner. Only women who where wooden shoes and those nightgowns called Moo-moos use this product. They can be found in most ghettos mopping the sidewalks with mistolin. The product is also used for laundry, dishes, babyformula, and to cure the common cold in most latin homes.

Usage: Yo my kid is coughin i need a quater to get some mistolin. OR The sidewalk is starting to look dirty it needs a mistolin mopping. and finnaly… Miha we ran outta cookin oil… get some mistolin out the cabinet!"*

Robots and Androids(dot com) has a report on the batteries:

and repairs:

–Robot Betty9

www.robots-and-androids.com for robot lovers and lovers of robots.