Iron Horse Celebrate Summer (3)

Welcome back! Or, can you let me in on how you get the no sales tax like it used to be?

Wish I could afford this.

David Munksgard
Iron Horse Winemaker here.
Thanks for all your kind comments. Right now we a busy putting the 2013 vintage cuvees into bottle for their bottle fermentation. The cellar is brimming with fruity and yeasty scents. Wish I could capture that in a POST.

Actually, it wasn’t that there was no sales tax; it was just built into the price, instead of being shown separately. You might as well wish for another wine glut that gave rise to the ridiculously good deals 6 years ago, that made today’s decent deals seem not so good. I still love the opportunity to get fabulous wine like today’s offer, at a very nice price point, especially since I can’t get it locally at any price.

We really have loved our IH from WineWoot. Now if we could only get out west for a visit to the vineyard…

Hopefully these will ship out soon, we’d love to have them to take along on vacation!

Welcome back, can’t wait to see you next month! Curious as to what you and/or David think about cellaring potential for the Brut X?

I am what you would call an opportunistic buyer. :wink:

Joy,
We absolutely cannot wait to see you. The 2012 supper was clearly a culinary delight…

And now the tourists watching the dailies know at least one venue on the tour we’d not want to miss.

Thank you and your parents for hosting us yet again.

Joy, I’m curious about when these were disgorged?

Edit:
Never mind, I saw it in the specs after posting. May 2014.

David Munksgard here & happy to toss in my opinion. How well a wine ages is to a great extent due to the wines pH. The lower the pH, the better it will age. Our Green Valley climate gives us wines of very low pH values. Our bubblies age great. Easy 6-8 years from now in a proper cellar. Now, how one holds out that long is another story.

Great question! I love the way our bubblies age. They become richer and rounder and gain in nuttiness. I say two years from now (that is, after disgorging) without any questions. Thereafter, it depends of course on how they are stored, but in your cellar, I’d say five years … easy. Maybe even ten.

Our pleasure!

I am well aware it was built into the price. I was more addressing the post that I quoted that implied woot doesn’t now (or ever did) charge sales tax.

Hey … did you see that we have a new website? www.ironhorsevineyards.com
I’d love to hear what you think.

Woot is now required to collect sales tax for orders shipped to AZ, CA, CT, FL, GA, IN, KS, KY, MA, NC, ND, NJ, NV, NY, PA, TN, TX, VA, WA, WI, and WV.

Which explains Joel’s comment, being from Colorado.

But we get taxed here in Ohio and are not on that list…

Oh, how I wish I could be purchasing the max of this!!! I have a feeling that if I did… all would not be well in my house!!! :frowning:
I have had 2 out of the 3 listed… which makes not buying even harder!!! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Iron Horse and am still really upset I won’t be on the RPM tour!!!

On 1/1/12 we drank a bottle of 1999 Iron Horse Vineyards Russian Cuvée. It was by no means dead, and some did enjoy it. I discovered I’m not fond of the aged yeastiness though. We also had a 1998 bottle about a year and a half ago that chipgreen and ddeuddeg quite enjoyed.

Speaking of holding out, you going to be be around for the tour and some of the Tut that’s coming up?

Sometimes one holds out for inexplicable reasons, I suppose. I’m quite sure I’ve told Joy this story, but I doubt you’ve heard it. I picked up a bottle of 1991 Wedding Cuvée somewhere while I was on a bus trip in the mid-90’s and took it home, where it sat in a closet in my second floor apartment for a number of years, where the temperature regularly climbed into the 90’s while I was away for the summer. Then it sat around for more years, at least not being subjected to such temperature extremes, until we finally decided to drink it and see if it was still any good. That would have been shortly before the 2008 rpm tour. It was nothing short of sublime, not even taking into account the age and bad handling it had been given. Obviously, I’m not recommending holding onto these that long, and certainly not abusing them that way, but it illustrates the aging potential for a well-made wine such as yours. :slight_smile:

I highly recommend a visit to Iron Horse not only for the wine, but for the absolutely gorgeous setting. It is really worth the effort, imho.