Iron Horse UnOaked Chardonnay (3)

And 6 is enough, why? If you have one tonight that’s only 5. There are 14 more weeks of Summer. If you have 3-4 bottles of white wine per week (more when entertaining friends), that’s at least 4-5 cases of white wine to be drunk between now and the autumn equinox. Surely, 1 of those cases should be Iron Horse.

Here are my tasting notes: Bright, clean, crisp, remarkably rich and smooth. It’s a perfect expression of our cool, foggy climate and has that special lime/mandarin splash that says Green Valley.

Well said!

This is one you’ll drink up in no time. It is especially delicious with heirloom tomatoes, mozzarella and basil.I also love it with prosciutto.

I drink mostly reds but do enjoy crisp whites by the pool and with seafood.

I have a friend who drinks mostly Chardonnay and loves Rombauer. Would like to gift a bottle (something other than Rombauer since he always buys that) but something he might like. Do you think this would fit the bill?

I too am on the east coast (FL) where selection is more limited.

Thank you.

Good Morning! Great to “see” you this fine day. Thank you for the excellent recommendation. I agree that our UnOaked Chardonnay ages beautifully. I had the pleasure of drinking 2007 recently and it was just coming into its stride.

I like the way you think!

:slight_smile:

I love, love, love this wine! I’ve had several vintages and have really enjoyed them all, especially as a summer sipper.

I don’t have super detailed tasting notes, but I remember getting a lot of citrus and green apple with a fair amount of minerality.

I’m definitely in on this one.

Bring on the summer whites! In for 2 based on my experiences with the lovely Iron Horse Rosé.

For you, I say buy. For your friend, not so much. Rombauer is an OAK/BUTTER BOMB. This sees no oak at all. Likely interesting for him/her to try, but based on the sole like you gave us, this is a totally different style.

Oh noes! Not sure I can hold!

Picked up a bottle on the tour, and we loved it.

Enjoy summer shipping precautions this week without the added cost. Stay tuned for more news next week.

Full discloser I am a casual wine drinker. I do like to drink Chardonnay and from the comments seems like a no brainer buy to me.

My question is when would be the best time to uncork this wine? Now or a year…etc? Also, what foods should I pair this wine with?

This year or next easily. It will likely be good past that. Any seafood, shrimp would be awesome, chicken dishes.

:happy:

And thanks again for hosting us during last year’s RPM Magical Historical Tour! You did get the pic of you and your mom, right?

David Munksgard-winemaker here:
No RS on the UnOaked or any Iron Horse Still wines. Full mouthfeel comes from skin contact prior to pressing the grapes. This drops the acidity a bit without having to resort to malo-lactic, which I consider a fruit killing experience.
Cold Stainless fermentation retains fruity esters. Yum Yum!

David Munksgard-winemaker here:
This wine came about because of folks saying they don’t like Chardonnay. Actually most folks DO like Chardonnay; they just don’t like how most Chardonnays are made.
This wine exresses true unmasked fruit.Wines from cooler climates have higher acidity and lower pH’s, which gives these wines great potentail for aging. This wine drinks well now and will hold well for 2-3 more years with proper storage. This is my Summer white. Enjoy!

You guys are killing me. After the Wellington mixed case, I stood strong and did not order the Winesmith Planet Pluto Meritage. That was easy enough as it sold out pretty early.

Then I resisted the Atlas Peak Mountain Cab offer, despite the fantastic reviews. The cost of nearly $50 per bottle shipped made it a bit easier.

The next few days weren’t too difficult to get through. I have plenty of Zin and Sauv Blanc already, so the Renwood and Terroir 95470 offers passed without incident.

The R. Merlo Pinot offer piqued my interest, but one glance at my completely full storage was enough to cool my ardor. Following up with another R. Merlo offer the next day was kind of sneaky, but I can usually resist Chardonnay offers without much difficulty.

Then things got more serious. It’s like you guys knew I was running out of Vino Noceto Sangio. I came this close [imagine me holding the tips of my thumb and index fingers the width of a sheet of paper apart] to clicking the big yellow button for more Vino Noceto. Were it not for SWMBO putting her foot down, I’d have more of that on the way as we speak.

Then yesterday, an interesting Syrah offer from a producer I knew little about. The tasting notes looked good, and I do like trying new wines. But still I resisted, with my temp-controlled storage bursting at the seams.

And so we come to today. A Chardonnay – no problem resisting that. I’m much more of a red wine guy than white, and Chardonnay isn’t even my favorite white varietal.

Except that this is Iron Horse. Except for all the love being showered on this wine by woot contributors I have learned to trust. Good grief. Would I really break my SIWBM for a Chardonnay?

I’m still resisting. But I don’t know how long I can hold out. Anybody care to compare this wine to the 2003 Winesmith Student Vineyard Chard?