Italian Olive Wood Salt or Pepper Mill

This reminds me of a story Bob Saget told when he came to my school, it had to do with a certain episode of full house with a horse in the back yard, all the older actors called him pepper mill, non of the kids understood why, I think you can fill in the blanks :wink:

All of these sizes sound like they would give you enoughā€¦ erā€¦ satisfaction.

This item is starting to sound like a pet due to care!!!

Agree, also notice that they only say the top knob is stainless. No mention at all what the mill mechanism is made of. For all we know it is cheap nickle plated pot metal from who knows where.

Here is a guide to Gourmet Peppercornsā€¦

Iā€™m hoping for Peugeot innards. Supposedly they make a helluva pepper mill inside and out.

Zassenhaus makes excellent grind burrs too. My rule of thumb tends to be that if theyā€™re not making a big deal about who made them, theyā€™re invariably cheap components. The olive wood may be Italian, but Iā€™ll bet the rest is Chinese.

Temptingā€¦ but Iā€™m not going for it without knowing more about the innards of these things. I donā€™t need an elegant looking piece of crap.

Ok, they come in three different sizes but does the grinding motion vary? Iā€™ve heard thatā€™s the important part.

ahhhhh ssssā€™p, puhsshatā€¦

I own a Olive wood hairbrush. The folder accompanying the brush says, ā€œOlive wood is very desirable because it is not only hard, but the only wood that is waterproof.ā€

I heard the Ty Caton wines were 40-50% off today. Does anyone have any more details on that?

I got my two bottles of balsamic, so Iā€™m happy.

as a woodworker, I wouldnā€™t use olive oil to maintain the finish. like vegetable oil, it will get rancid after time.

What, exactly, is ā€œNew Zealand Course Sea Saltā€?

Itā€™s on Facebook; 50% off for 2 days .

PS: ā€œRegularā€ offerings only; no library wines.

Also if you just head over one tab in this forum to the World of Woot Wine, youā€™ll see discussion of it in the Discounts & Deals Thread. :slight_smile:

They do - and would be priced about a Benjamin higher. Iā€™ve got a pair of smaller ones (mills, that is) and although a little small for my hands they work great.

Reminds me of a joke - you know what it means when a man has large feet and large handsā€¦

wait for itā€¦

big shoes and gloves

I Googled some more, and found at least 10 websites that recommend using olive oil on olive wood. I also found several forums where someone said not to use it because it could go rancid, although I couldnā€™t find anyone who reported that it had actually occurred.

Furthermore, it seems that people have been using olive oil to protect olive wood for centuries. Supposedly, olive oil goes rancid very slowly, and because of oxidation. When itā€™s used on the wood, most of it seeps inside so very little oxygen can reach it. Whatā€™s on the surface is replaced as fresh oil is applied, which may be why some people recommend using it so often (one site I linked to earlier recommended every month).

I havenā€™t tried olive oil on wood, and I donā€™t own any olive wood, so none of the opinions are my own.

I think they meant to say ā€œCoarseā€ :slight_smile:

EDIT: I see itā€™s been fixed, am I supposed to get another QP for that? :smiley: