Jana Cathedral - 2 Pack by Scott Harvey

French oak does not make a French wine.At this price and 90 point rating I will pass for a real French wine at half the price.

Plus they paid to use the name.

I have the same question. Mainly, a quick online search says that each varietal in a Meritage cannot comprise more than 90% of the wine.

How does this work with 92% being cab?

Edit: Misread it, it’s meritage STYLE. Way to go, eyes!

In for a couple 2 packs, seems like a great deal and I’ve loved every Scott Harvey wine I’ve ever had with one exception…the InZinerator which I can’t even give away but that will teach me to order without reading the RS percentage, I just saw Scott Harvey and Zin and jumped in on that one.

Hmm, may have to buy this one, I’ve never been steered wrong by a drunk monkey in a bow tie.

EDIT: Also, found this review, might help some with deciding:

AND that American Winery listing lists the cabernet at 76%, not 92%. That’s kind of a big difference…

I’ve been hoarding my other bottles. This is an auto-buy. Smooth, balanced, supple tannins, NOT fruit forward … a complex beauty from start to wonderfully long finish. I’m in for 3 but I’ll open a bottle & post a vol-rat report tonight after work.

EDIT: And as noted by a previous poster, the bottles are beautiful and the “labels” are printed directly on the bottle

No Louisiana shipping. Bummer.

I was so disappointed when I waited too long and the Kunde sold out! Not gonna happen today! (plus I love Scott’s wines)

Well that is an easy decision. In for 3 on this incredible buy. The only other time I have seen Cathedral at this much of a discount was last years Black Friday where Scott had it on a 50% sale. As for the wine, it is absolutely amazing. You can drink it now or hold it for the next 5-10 years. If your on the fence or even on the other side make the decision to jump and snatch as much of this up that you can. Thanks WD and Scott for the great buy.

It’s just the use of the word “Meritage” which is a term created for the purpose of marketing Bordeaux and other blends. Perhaps someone else could tell the story and the wonderful prize which went to the inventor of the term.

Yeah, none of SH’s wines ship to Louisiana. I usually pick up a bottle or two in Houston when I travel for business. Spec’s carries quite a few SH wines.

Looks like a great wine, but no love for North Carolina on this one? What’s up with that? I’ve got Harvey wines in my cellar purchased from woot…

Any chance to get Jana to sign the bottles on a sell out? I should have got her to sign one the last time we tasted with her and Scott but I did not have a bottle of Cathedral with me.

“Being European trained, this vineyard allowed Steve Harvey to produce a Napa Valley Meritage style blend as a balanced, complete wine.”

So who’s Steve? ; )

I suspect it comes down to the fact that in most of his wines, Mr. Harvey goes for a more old-world European style instead of the new-world/international/Parkerized style. And when it comes to Napa Valley and Cabernet Sauvignon, when you say “Napa Cab” everyone goes immediately towards expecting the new world style. So selling this as Napa Cab would mean that people would buy it and be disappointed that it didn’t taste like what they thought they were buying, while people who like the usual old-world Scott Harvey style would in turn avoid it thinking it wasn’t what they wanted Scott Harvey to be.

This way it not only doesn’t taste like standard issue Napa Cab, it doesn’t look like it either.

I’ve gotta say, I absolutely LOVE the InZinerator. I guess it’s just based on personal taste.

I think Scott must have hired the comedian to make a celebrity wine. Maybe that’s why the blend is off for a Meritage…Or maybe the Woot writers were watching late night reruns of The Steve Harvey Show when they were finishing this copy.

I wish I could chime in, but with a magnum the opportunities for me to pop it open are a little harder to come by. :slight_smile:

In on this one - definitely a wine, inside and out, that I will gladly carry in to my favorite bistro and show off!

Plus the fact that it says Meritage Style, not Meritage. If the posted numbers are correct it cannot be a “Meritage” per se, but it’s like sparklers that say they are in the “méthode champenoise”. It gives you an indication of what profile the winemaker was going for.

Kudos to the Harveys!

Hi Everyone,
Great to be back. This vintage I could label as a Cab, being 92%. Other vintages may only be 73% and I would not be able to label them as Cab. By giving the wine a proprietary name like Cathedral it leaves my options open in future vintages to not have to have 75% Cabernet. This way I can make the best blend possible.