Jana Cathedral Special Library (2)

Why oh why did I have to wake up and decide to get some work done at 3am??? I’ve been so good lately, only going in on an avg of 1 deal per month… Then Scott & Jana you have to go and do this :wink:

This juice is in my top 2 wine.woot purchases and what solidified my WW addiction. I have 9 bottles left in storage, so I guess I can justify a set to have at home. The price seems high and for someone like me that’s always looking for the REALLY good buy you’d think I’d pass, but I can’t. With a drinking window through 2022, you can’t go wrong with the '05!

BTW, Happy Birthday Scott :slight_smile:

FYI, here are the awards this wine won (Based on http://www.scottharveywines.com/press/awards-2/)

• Gold – 91 Points – Beverage Testing Institute
  • 92 Points – Snooth
  • Silver – New World International Competition

Interested… but cannot justify that expense at that price point. Got too much other great juice to sip through. I might bite myself later on - but well :wink:

These are fine wines; if your pocketbook permits, you should buy this offer. 2005 was quite a good year and the wine is getting close to (start) being ready to drink (though I would wait at least a couple of more years…). Just do it.

I think someone has been spending too much time with Ty Caton :wink:

I actually popped one of these open two weeks ago. Unfortunately we had a crowd over and I did not have time to take really any notes. From what I remember. . . floral bouquet on the nose at opening. First sip had some cedar and cherry, slightly earthy. The wine definitely had some dust to it, accompanied by strong but adequate tannin. Definitely not an in your face Parker style, but more old world. There was a lot of what I look for in a cab/cab blend (generally what I buy the most).

Fantastic wine, and I plan on buying more with this reappearance. And yes, people did love the bottle.

Interesting that Mr. Harvey opted to label this a meritage blend instead of Cabernet. At 92% CS, he’s well within his rights to do so.
I have no real opinion on this, but from a marketing perspective, I would think that CS would be hotter, no?
Maybe it’s a 6 of one, half dozen of the other situation…

If there are any fellow Wooters out there that aren’t aware of the Ohio gathering…Scott & Jana Harvey will be pouring their '06 Jana Cathedral along w/ 6 other wines on 4/19. See the Ohio Gathering thread under the World of Wine Woot tab.

Light up Wisconsin. Resistance is futile!

I just read that a fella above decanted this wine for 12 hours? Holy $#!#.
Hey, I got no problem with that. Personally, the longest an open bottle has sat untouched in my house is an hour. I proudly say that I own a dozen ornate, beautiful bottle stoppers. Not one of them has ever been used. When I open a bottle, that mufugga gets finished.
I applaud 12 hours of patience. If something in my house is decanting for longer than an hour, there’s a solid chance I’m dead on the floor and the cats are already picking at my cold, lifeless eyes.
FYI, if there are any ad execs on here, that is a brilliant commercial and I claim rights to it. For a price.
Chive on.

As above…

$55 to $100 in 2 years?

Wish my investments did as well.

I’m sure the wine is excellent, but…got to think about this one.

It’s called rationing by price. If the supply is limited (which with a library offering it is almost by definition), and demand exceeds it, the seller can capture more of the surplus value by raising the price. Scott and Jana are no fools. Stuff’s gonna get a bit dearer, but if you think about it, the price of most things is up significantly over the past few years and the they incur costs keeping the wine in inventory. 's all good. Still expensive, but well worth if you’ve got the dosh.

Heavy sigh. I just took RPM’s advice and just did it. Unfortunately I can’t wait a couple more years to drink them and I will do so when I am in the US in May. I have heard a lot about Scott Harvey’s old world touch with his wines and that is what I like. I look forward to these wines even if they will be a bit young.

Scott / Monica - any chance of throwing in some of the 04 in with these 05s?

The costs of carrying unsold inventory is not something you generally get to pass on to consumers, and prices are not generally up 55%, and certainly not for wine…

Scott and Jana have the right to ask whatever they want for their admittedly very good wine. As consumers we may buy, but the QPR is a lot lower than on the previous offers.

I would imagine they have limited quantities of this and don’t need to sell the volume they normally do.

Dude, Wine dinner with Scott Harvey again this year. You guys coming?

I got it wrong in the voicemail. It is 92% Cabernet from the Martin Vineyard in Coombsville, 4% Petit Verdot from Penn Valley in Nevada County and 4% Cabernet Franc from the vineyard here around our house in St. Helena. It only took a silver, because 13.5 alcohol wines made in the great style that Napa Valley used to make in the 50’s and 60’s does not judge well in a line up of much higher alcohol wines. There was a question about the 2003. It is from the same Coombsville vineyard made in the same style. Drinking good right now with another 8 to 10 years of aging to go. There is a 2004, also in our wine library.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

I originally did not want to label it Cabernet in case in future vintages I wanted to make a blend with less than 75% Cabernet. We have decided to label it Cathedral Cabernet Sauvignon in the future starting with the 2010 vintage.

I still have a number of these cellared, and thus am going to pass, but I will chime in that this is a great wine! It is possibly my favorite WW purchase ever (and I hit my 100th Woot buy this week- all but two were wine!) I opened this for my family at Christmas and everyone loved it. For some reason, I didn’t take notes, but I agree with others that it is Old World style, which I love.