JC Cellars 2005 Caldwell Vineyard Syrah - Two Pack

I ordered last time and it was not hot at all really did not detect the alcohol, I thought that when I drank the first bottle it was a little to fruit forward for me to much currant flavor. Last week I drank my last bottle and it had changed quite a bit it was truly a lovely bottle of wine the fruit had calmed down it seemed very well structured from front to back. Maybe I drank the first bottle to soon and it had some bottle shock? Really thinking about going in for another. Just worried that something like a Corison will come up next and with my newly found lack of funds I won’t be able to…(daughters last year of college payments starts this month) :frowning:

Cheers

and wooter who knows the wine scram69 said this:
"
My relationship with the Caldwell Syrah goes back a few years… but has always been favorable. Recently had the 2003, which was glorious. The 2005 was remarkable for the smoky nature, aromas of tobacco or roasted herbs. Can’t wait to try it again soon.
I actually got a chance to try the 2007 before RP released his scores, but I could have predicted top marks; my own notes have aromas of chocolate covered cherries and cafe mocha, followed by a velvety mouthfull of blueberries and spice. I’m continually impressed by what JC creates with this vineyard’s fruit.
"

and this in response to a followup:

"
richardhod wrote:
So, is this a Rhone stye in your opinion, or more CA ?
IMHO, it’s still more of a CA style syrah, as there is a rich layer of fruit, just the 2005 offers a little more of the terroir. I find most Rhone syrah to feature minerality and soil more prominently, to be more gamey, but my experience may not extend to the full spectrum of the Rhone.
"

Well then it definitely can’t be that much of a bomb, then. :tongue:

As I suspected - that explains the alcohol. It sounds like JC knows what he’s doing, and this is obviously high-quality juice. Still, it’s a pretty hefty entry fee to find out for myself. Looks like we’ll have most of the day to make up our minds, though.

Aye, this is sort of what I’d gathered. It does sound intriguing, but I’ve got a whole row of Syrahs on the rack and too much Napa wine already. In terms of expanding my palate, this doesn’t sound like the most effective way to spend sixty bucks.

Really? First sucker? I’m honored. I must say I do love syrah and while this may be pricy this looks to be fine juice. My birthday is in a couple of weeks, would be nice to open a bottle for that…

I also found these reviews on the 05 - I believe I am out on this one - Monday offering still avaiable and hoping for a Corison surprise later in the day

Expert Reviews

Rated: 89 by Connoisseurs’ Guide, Mar 08
Connoisseurs’ Guide to California Wines
Very ripe in its basics, thick and coating in feel, and showing an atypical twist of herbaceousness in both its intense blackberry aromas and concentrated, oak-infused flavors, this big-bodied, fully expressed effort embraces the winery’s opulent, outgoing style. Its considerable richness comes at the cost of evident heat at the finish, but it still succeeds by dint of its depth and needs to be teamed with the heartiest foods.

Rated: 90 by Stephen Tanzer, Dec 08
Stephen Tanzer’s International Wine Cellar
Good saturated medium ruby. Aromas of blackberry, black tea, gunpowder, licorice and mocha. At once smooth, sweet and nicely delineated, with good lift to the meaty dark berry and lightly saline flavors. Finishes with sweet tannins and sneaky sweetness and persistence.
Expert Ratings
Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate: 88 points

A 90 from Tanzer is pretty high praise.

Looks like they threw in the towel and cut inventory. Something new up shortly, methinks, and this will be back for another go-around in the next Woot-Off (or maybe even in this one, who knows).

Yeah, but is Tanzer a bomber pilot?

Sweet! Just picked up three! Been waiting for these to come back.

The plan is coming together!

Phase 1: Collect underpants.
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: Profit