Jean Edwards Cellars 2007 Alder Springs Vineyard Syrah - 2 Pack

Jean Edwards Cellars 2007 Alder Springs Vineyard Syrah - 2 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: simplyugg
Speed to first woot: 3m 1.180s
Last wooter to woot: divadrabnud

Love the details:

Jean Edwards Cellars - 2007 Alder Springs Vineyard Syrah

Harvest occurred between 10/18 - 10/22/07 across the four blocks with fruit averaging 25.1/3.67/5.8
Cold soaked/extended maceration/95% whole berry
Lots were pressed separately on 11/4/07 (80% free run)
Aged separately in barrel - 19 months in 100% French Oak (50% new - Cooperage: Francois Freres M+T / 50% 1-year old - Cooperage: Sequin Moreau MT)
Blend finalized 2/09 (100% syrah: 97% Alder Springs /3% White Hawk)
Filtered and Bottled 5/09
Production: 75 cases

And the reviews:

Community Tasting History

Community Tasting Notes (average 91.5 pts. and median of 91 pts. in 5 notes)

Tasted by acruse2 on 8/13/2011 & rated 91 points: Wonderfully balanced, restrained Syrah. A little tight after opening, but opens up beautifully after about an hour. Leather and currant with a hint of oak on the finish. Ready to drink now but should have a few years left.

Tasted by cjsavino on 8/13/2011 & rated 91 points: Last bottle of mine from this lot, similar notes to the last ones. 

Tasted by cjsavino on 6/19/2011 & rated 92 points: A well balanced Syrah, as impressive as the last time we had this. Paired with our field green salad, asparagus, and flank steak.

Tasted by cjsavino on 5/8/2011 & rated 92 points: Let it air out for a couple of hours before drinking. Well balanced with the red fruit and a slight oak at the end. Paired with our dinner of beet & goat cheese salad, marinated flank steak, & grilled asparagus.

Tasted by Taylor56 on 12/28/2009: A progress check (decanted 2 hours). Very good structure and weight. Concentrated flavors without being cloying. Dense, deep purple in the glass. Blueberries and black raspberries in the mouth. Dark fruits with hints of eucalyptus in the nose. Needs airtime for flavors to emerge but showing very nice early signs.

But this is the one that pushed me over the top:

2007 Jean Edwards Syrah, Alder Springs Vineyard

California
Mendocino County
Alder Springs Vineyard
75 cases produced
Winery price:  $45 
Level I: Great fruit, friendly

All three wines tasted here feature the signature Jean Edwards style–medium oak, brisk acidity, and evident but not overpowering oak. Although I found all three of these syrahs appealing, this one was my favorite.

The Alder Springs opens with a little pouty funk, as if it resents being awakened, but that blows off within 30 minutes or less (so I recommend decanting). After that, the wine opens up with aromas of warm summer plums, earth, hay, oak, and freshly cracked pepper.

Buoyed up by zesty acids and medium tannins, the mouthfeel is all about mixed summer berries dusted with black pepper and cinnamon. Hints of sage, olive and oak linger in the background. What really made this wine stand out for me, not just in this lineup but against other syrahs as well, was that the fruit was so multi-dimensional. This wine has a fruit spectrum that ranges from strawberry and cranberry all the way to dark plum and cassis.

This wine is very enjoyable now, and its medium tannins promise some longevity as well. A heavyweight in the culinary-friendly Level I category, this is a perfect syrah for drinkers who want an amazing burst of syrah fruit and sass.

Que syrah, syrah… In for one!

Good Morning - Karen from Jean Edwards Cellars - we are so happy to be part of today’s woot off with our 2007 Alder Springs Syrah 2-pack.

BTW - That Elvis poster was a tough act to follow (-:

Hi Karen, can you tell us the Alcohol % in this syrah?

Hi there. The wine is 14.2% alc - a good buzz but doesn’t drink hot.

I love CellarTracker - however that drinking window may be a bit narrow for this wine. We think the wine will continue to gain complexity for at least a couple more years before it plateaus. Wines from this vineyard have great depth, complexity and longevity.

I was on the fence about this wine for the past hour, the positive posts on here peaked my interest, but what really did it was Karen from the winery logging in and answering questions. I hope this wine doesn’t disappoint.

Thanks for buying - I would recommend a 60 minute decant on this wine before drinking. With some airtime it really opens up with layers of flavors.