Jocelyn Lonen 2008 Lonen Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - 3 Pack

Jocelyn Lonen 2008 Lonen Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - 3 Pack
$39.99 + $5 shipping
Condition: Red
Product:
3 2008 Lonen Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

CT link above. A singular tasting note from May suggests this should improve with age.

Winery Website

2008 Lonen Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

About 46% savings (including shipping), not too shabby

mill!!

Looks like the '05 and '06 had Cab Franc and Malbec blended in (and I can’t find the '07). What inspired the 25% Syrah here?

Oh, and this looks like a pretty great deal for Napa Cab. What’s the catch? :tongue:

The 2006 Reserve of this Cabernet was offered in March on Woot at a much higher pricepoint:

2007 was the vintage for earlier maturing Napa Cabernet, but how does 2008 stack up? I remember the 2008 Sonoma Cab from Ty Caton drinking really well for a young’n.

The single review on cellar tracker agrees that it “Needs some time, but has good potential.”

… blackberries, yum.

And was fantastic. I’m really struggling with this one. $15(or so) a bottle? Why the sudden shift in price? and how am I supposed to justify another wine purchase when I have no place to put any more!?

edit* tee-hee. f.a.n.t.a.s.t.i.c = zombtastic. I love getting surprised by the woot filters!

There is a little info on this new “Lonen” label Cabernet here:

The price difference is due to the previous offering was the reserve.

Seems like there is some CT confusion on this one. Here is a different link that points to the Lonen series of Cabs. No tasting notes for 2008, but a few for 2007:

http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=940867

So how long would you lay this down for?

Brandi? Alison? Bueller?

“Very drinkable now but will continue to evolve and mature with age.”

Here’s the discussion from a 2005 reserve offering

Jocelyn Lonen on Yelp

Jocelyn Lonen Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley 2007 on Snooth

Jocelyn Lonen blog

Profile: Alison Doran

Those are NOT the wines we are considering. A lot of confusion here, cleared up by one or two people above, but worth reiterating a mistake we have all made at some point with winemakers with multiple wine brands.

The Jocelyn Lonen wines are the wines which woot has offered before for a lot more money, and which these are NOT. That brand may even be divided into ordinary and reserve types too (note the confusion at a previous wooting).

The Lonen wines are their second label. Look at the bottle label differences below:

http://thebottlereport.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/072610BistroCabs.jpg

The 2005 is indeed the reserve, which is why I said so in the link. The single review of the 2007 does not say it’s the reserve - evidently the reviewer sampled a glass in a restaurant, and the label shown on Snooth is just a placeholder (but I could be wrong about that).

I linked to the Woot so folks could read Brandi’s comments. And there’s precious little information to be found on the current offering.

Hi there. You jumped in to defence mode while I was re-editing to make it completely clear that that wasn’t quite the issue. The Jocelyn Lonen 07 isn’t this wine either, but the point wasn’t your error (which many over-eager posters have made at some point), but to reiterate the label difference, and help clear up today’s manifest confusion. When there’s only a reserve/ordinary or year difference, a simple reserve/year qualifier note sometimes is enough to make that clearer indeed, but that’s still not enough here!

This is a new, entirely different second (cheaper) label for them. A comprehensive - or even cursory - reading of redwinefan’s excellent post and link above will explain more closely. :sunglasses:

In the spirit of Halloween, let’s stalk the winemaker!!

I’d say availability of good enough grapes for the price (see redwinefan’s link). Strewth! A Cab-Shiraz, no less.

I don’t believe 07 was an early-drinking year. I’d thought that was more 06, which is still a decent year. rpm and Kent at least gave me the impression that 07 was an amazing year, and good for longevity. Let’s get some references:

http://goodwineunder20.blogspot.com/2007/08/hold-on-to-your-wallets-2007-napa.html

http://www.steveheimoff.com/index.php/2010/08/27/suckling-07-napa-cabs-2010-vintage-top-10-wines-of-the-week/

Berry Bros and Rudd vintage chart. The Queen’s wine shop… 2007 gets a 10, and 2008 gets a 9, so not a bad year either…

Actually, this shop claims the 07s are good young as WELL as being a great vintage. May be what you were talking about. http://wine-to-buy-online.com/2007-malk-family-vineyards-napa-cabernet/

Anyone got some more balanced opinions from a winemaker?

Yes - to be succinct, one wine is the “Jocelyn Lonen Napa Valley Cab,” and this one is the “Lonen Napa Valley Cab” (without the Jocelyn), although both are made by Jocelyn Lonen Winery. Confusing.

p.s. I think I can safely say that I have linked to the wrong product more times than anyone else on Woot.

Just bought 3 bottles at 14.99 each here in Northeast Ohio. Have purchased in past for $17. Wonderful drinking Cab, especially fo rthe price; even at the Woot price being offered here.