Joseph Joseph Index Cutting Boards

I agree with everyone above. First thing I thought was that the holder was going to be a hot bed of bacteria.

Even washed and dried, still seems like not enough air circulation and too much potential for contamination.

I do not know about you but when I wash my boards I let them air dry before storing them. I mean even now my boards sit on a cupboard shelf stacked on top of one and other. What’s the difference here? These stack vertically… Same thing I have now at home but wont fall all over the place when I grab for one.

If you wash the boards each time you use them then I understand the box that holds them all bunched up. But if they also label them such that you are supposed to use the same one for fish or meat each time, that implies that the can never be truly clean after you use them because if they were truly clean you would not care which one you used the next time. And if they are never truly clean, then putting them side by side in a dark box is just asking to grow some funky bacterias.

Maybe the rubber feet on each side of each board keep them separated to prevent cross contamination.

I have these. They’re fine cutting boards. The base is difficult to use, and we tossed it after a few months. The boards scratch up as much as any other solid cutting board, so plan on replacing these eventually.

I don’t know… I have one wooden cutting board that I use for everything. Never had an issue with contamination.

Now, commercial places that do use plastic cutting boards - yes, I have experienced contamination issues from them.

There are multiple boards so you can move between each board as you prepare food for a meal. You don’t have to abide by the labels, but if you put one down after chopping some vegetables you might want to go back to that same one if you have to chop some more vegetables, rather than the one you used for trimming some meat earlier.
When you’re all done you then wash them with a good anti-bacterial soap, let them dry and put them away.
That procedure would pass Board of Health regulations just about anywhere.
Of course, if the idea is you want to create a problem…use them indiscriminately, wipe them with an old, damp kitchen sponge that has been sitting in your sink and put them back in the holder preferably store the holder somewhere nice and warm. Just remember if you create life you’re responsible for it.

It is illegal to use wooden cutting surfaces in many areas (commercially). Wood absorbs moisture and gets grooved by the knife. A quality plastic board won’t absorb moisture. Now, if you don’t properly clean the plastic board it can be the cause of contamination just as easily as wood. It’s just more likely to happen with a wood surface.
I once ran into a genius that thought he could make his wood cutting surfaces less likely to get damp…he put a couple thick coats of varathane on them.

White it for cooked food.

With the fumes, it looks like the white board is for cutting the cheese…

I think the idea is to have the appropriate board during prep. You don’t want to cut veggies, cut meat, then go back to cutting veggies on the same board. Although that problem is solved through proper timing of prep (do all the veggies before the meat).

Me, myself, I went to Sam’s and bought those huge red and green Rubbermaid plastic cutting boards. I knew when I bought them they would be entirely too big to use and store in my small kitchen. When I got them home I cut them in half on a table saw. Cleaned up the cut edge a bit and voila. Two green boards and two red boards just the right size for my purposes. I think I paid less than $20 for the “set”. For stability, I set them on a silicone mat.

Are these Windows XP compatible?

maybe white is for jelly fish?

I just got these a couple of weeks ago at $40, so I won’t be getting the ones offered today…

I just wanted to comment on the “bunching up” part. In the holder, none of the boards actually touch each other. The case does have grooves around the inside edge to keep each board about 1/8" from each other. Whether or not that’s good enough for you to keep everything dry and microbe-free is your opinion. After using these for a couple of weeks, though, I haven’t noticed any residual moisture pulling the boards from storage, and the inside of the case is also plastic, which makes it relatively easy to clean with a bottle brush.

// 2 cents

I have these, well not this version an earlier one. I have slits all over them from the radical idea of using them to cut food on. Some bleach in water will disinfect them. The white board is for cooked foods but I just grab a board and go and don’t bother using them the way they are labeled.

Do you have too much room in your kitchen? Is all that open space making you nervous and aware of your own mortality? Do you simply have not enough stuff to distract you from your imminent shuffling off of this mortal coil?

Well Woot’s got the solution! FOUR cutting boards, in a convenient case that makes them take up an inordinate amount of counter space. Fill up you counters, since filling the void in your soul has proved impossible so far.

are they Dishwasher Safe???

and the white one looks like
upside down bacon…

I think this is the newer model, but I can’t tell for sure:
[youtube=FJ7lpeowuxw][/youtube]

$64.95:
http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-183900/Joseph-Joseph-Index-Advance-Chopping-Board-Set

review but dimensions don’t quite match older or newer
http://culinarykosher.com/gadget/4

I’m guessing the older set
http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Index-Chopping-Board-Set/dp/B001K7HXM0

maybe the same, $80
http://www.lumens.com/index-chopping-board-set-by-joseph-joseph/uu416567/product

looks like newer one, but dimensions like older one:

Newer one?
http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Index-Advance-Chopping-Board/dp/B004Q7EE50

I have three boards that are all used for whatever I need chopped for the day and hardly anyone has died at my house. I think people get a little too paranoid about these things. In fact I j—AAAGH! thud

I’ve put mine in the dishwasher, they come out clean.