Josmeyer Pinot Blanc & Riesling Set (2)

Ack! New item drought. I can’t get that woot-off theme song out of my head.

Okay, I’ve been staring at this for almost three hours, and the silence is driving me nuts. I’m interested in the wines and the regions, but on my budget I need a little help justifying $25/bottle.

I can’t help with personal experience, but I did manage to dig up some of the tasting notes tied to the ratings cmaldoon found. These are for the Pinot Blanc:

Jaime Goode at WineAnorak, dated 06/2007: “Delicate gently herby nose with nice poise and freshness. The palate is bright and fresh with herb and mineral-tinged fruit, in a dry style. There’s a touch of honeyed richness, making this a really versatile summer white. Very good+ 89/100”

Wine Enthusiast, dated 06/01/2010: “Dense and flavorful, with decadent tones of honey, honeysuckle, baked apples and pear tart. The palate is concentrated and fairly dry, though a bit lacking in fruit. Try with roast pork. Drink now.” (Rating: 87)

The Decanter, undated: “This wine has delightful floral and citrus aromas. The palate is elegant and has great purity of fruit.” There’s a character display problem with their drinking window, it’s 2008 to… 2011? It shows as “2008 £7.80-11”. Maybe someone who knows more about character coding can decipher that one.

Off to see if I can find anything useful about the riesling. Maybe in the meantime someone with a little more experience can put all this in perspective, especially regarding the drinking window? Seems like we might be pushing it.

Here’s what I could find about the Riesling:

Wine Enthusiast, dated 06/01/2010: “A bit reticent, offering apple, lily and spring flowers for an opening act, followed by citrus flavors on the palate. The short-to-medium finish has a pleasant lemon edge. Drink up.” (Rating 85)

A review on Chicago Foodies, dated 11/10/2011: “I procured a bottle of the Le Dragon on sale for $30 at House of Glunz. For the price it was good value; it had a characteristic limestone nose and a color half way between straw and gold, with flavors of limes and passion fruit with a touch of tangerine, some oiliness, and a nice expression of terroir. It is a fun wine to let your tongue play trampoline and feel the varied notes of acid, oil, velvet and density.”

Some notes on Snooth: “Very mineral riesling. Not my favorite, but if you like them bone dry and rocky, this might be the one for you.” (dated 08/05/2009) and “Exceptionally mineral core - “dry and rocky” as another user put it. That said, there’s a sweeter nose, with very nice floral tones. Lots of petroleum and that ‘plastic worm’ feel to it. I really liked it.” (dated 07/10/2010)

It’s not much, but it’s better than nothing. Hopefully this helps some of us decide one way or the other. I think I’m in for one, if only to try something new and help inch things along.

Even if I were buying 2 sets of this, I would pay the extra couple bucks to get it from woot; the customer service alone is worth the piece of mind.

Hmm…so far, I haven’t seen anything from the woot off worth a double-take…what happened to the Cabs? :frowning:

Gotta be the slowest moving wine I’ve ever seen on a Woot-off. For me the price-to-risk ratio is just to high for a wine/winery I’ve never tried before.

Awww, just missed it!