Juice Cleanses: 1, 3, 5, GO!

Please don’t buy this. It’s unhealthy and unscientific.

THIS:

(also, I love the irony of woot refusing to sell me a knife legal in NYS, on safety grounds, but will gladly sell an unhealth/dangerous product known in the medical comuminity to be 100% full of doo-doo.)

Keep up the “good” work woot, I for one miss the old woot.

Juice Cleanses have absolutely no scientific backing to them. All they have are pseudo science from people who thinks it works because it’s natural. Or some magazine like Cosmopolitan saying it’s great because all the celebrities do it, so it must be true. This is high in sugar and low in protein. Bad combination.

Juice Cleanses: 1, 3, 5, GO!

Shouldn’t it be “Juice Cleanses: 2, 2, 2, GO!”?

Perhaps there might be issues with this company’s brand of juices or one could even say juicing on your own with a juicer is far superior to these… but there is absolutely nothing wrong or dangerous about a juice cleanse or diet done safely. I did one on my own with my own juicer under the watch of a doctor for a week and not only lost a fair amount of weight very quickly (which one could say is dangerous but I’m still kicking) but my blood pressure came down to normal levels, as did just about all of my previously out of whack blood test results.

So hey, keep spewing ‘it’s not scientifically backed’. Ignore the fat, sick and nearly dead documentary and write it off as horse hockey. You guys do you.

But count this at least as one positive voice for a juice cleanse/diet. It’s HARD to do, but very worth it.

You can spout whatever you want from your soapbox, but I’ll trust my sister and her PHd in Human Nutrition. Juice cleanses do not cleanse anything and they are terrible for your body. Woot might as well be selling snake oil.

Then why the warning on the specs page.

Warning: This product has not been pasteurized and, therefore, may contain harmful bacteria that can cause illness in children, the elderly, and persons with weakened immune systems.

Losing weight in a short amount of time = loss of muscle mass. It takes 3600 calories to burn 1 lb of fat. So even if you lose 5 lbs a week, you will need to lose 2500 calories a day just to reach 5 lbs of fat loss. That means you will have to eat nothing and run 1.5 marathons every day for 7 days to reach that goal. Unless you’re a worldclass athlete, it is impossible to achieve. What you lost is muscle mass. Low calories + low/no protein = loss of muscles.

Any doctor should be able to tell you losing muscle mass is a bad, bad thing. Low protein/calorie diets like these juice cleanses will cause you to lose muscle mass, that is why they are dangerous.

You’re losing fluid and bulk from your GI system. You’re even cautioned not to exercise heavily due to the need for protein. And the warning about the juices not being pasteurized is simply because they are cold pressed juices just like you would do at home with a juicer. Except these juices have fiber in them.

I bought the 5 day fast last time around. Not because I believe in some mystical detox BS but because I just thought it would be a good kickstart back into a healthier routine. By the time day three rolled around, I had to stop. I had to go “to the bathroom” 7 times on day two. It was all the fun of a stomach bug with the added insult of my wife laughing at me because I did it to myself.

Just because you didn’t suffer any serious repercussions doesn’t mean it was a great idea on your part.

You’re being defensive instead of sensible.

I can’t speak to cleanses or this particular company, but there are HUGE health benefits from drinking cold pressed juices. I’m not some holistic medicine hippie either. It’s just good for you to consume more juice and whatnot. If you’re ever in Arizona, try Kaleidoscope juice in scottsdale. The girls that own and operate it are the absolute sweetest (and cute to boot). I do agree that drinking nothing but juice for a few days is not going to be super healthy - but neither is snorting coke or eating mcdonalds or going out in the sun.

These deals always bring out all of the armchair nutritionists or people who think they know what’s best for others. Do your own research and buy what you want to buy. Don’t listen to people on the internet telling you what to think.

Juice that cost more than $5.00 for 1 16 ounce bottle? If you believe in “juice cleanses” or not, to pay that is foolish.

Roughly the same price you’ll pay at Trader Joe’s for cold pressed juices.

I have never had cold pressed juices or been to trader joe’s, I just know my Dad would say what a sucker I am to pay $5.00 for 2 cups of juice.

Understand there’s a huge difference between “research” and “I read about it on the internet”.

And FWIW, everyone cleanses daily, sometimes more than once. It’s called “Pooping”.