June and May JM - Sound June and May Portable Sound

What are the driver specs?

How big is the battery?

How “weather-sealed” is the device (e.g. can it be submerged, what is its IPX rating)?

How does the sound compare with a Bose Soundlink Mini which retails for a similar price?

From the vendor:

Ipx 4 (water resistant)
4400 mah
12 watts

Thank you.

Regarding the drivers (speakers), how many are there? How big are they? Is there a woofer/subwoofer? Do the drivers use neodymium magnets?

From the vendor:

There are 2 speakers inside for a total of 12 watts. There is also a passive speaker to help increase the bass.

Thanks. I wish I knew the size of the drivers, but it is clear that the vendor is not very forthcoming with information for whatever reason.

Given the size and weight of the device, the speaker drivers are probably at least 2 inches in diameter. Assuming that they are good quality drivers coupled with a passive radiator, the device might be able to produce good sound for this price.

Unfortunately, there is almost nothing about this Bluetooth speaker on the Internet, so I’m still on the fence about buying one.

I took a chance and bought a speaker, but the FedEx shipping info says the package only weighs one pound. Ugh! I hope that’s wrong or this speaker is much worse than I expected. Woot states that it weighs 2 pounds. The host organism claims that the shipping weight is 2.4 pounds. https://www.amazon.com/FRESHeTECH-Portable-Sound-Speaker-Metalic/dp/B01EKB6GPW

The speaker came in. Here is my review on Amazon:

2.0 out of 5 stars

Worth about $60 for IPX4 and meh sound

I purchased this speaker through Woot, which is owned by Amazon. The product cost $55 plus $5 shipping. At that price, the speaker is an adequate value. It looks nice and the touch controls are better than the controls on most speakers in this price range. It does not come with a charger, only a cheap USB cable. The packaging is cheap, but that doesn’t matter much to me.

What does matter to me is the sound. Bass is thin and inadequate. Overall, the speaker sounds like a cheap boombox. It doesn’t get very loud. It appears to have a couple of 2" speaker drivers and a passive woofer.

The saving grace for the speaker is that it is supposed to be weatherproof. I asked woot what that meant and the vendor stated that the speaker was rated at IPX4, which means that it should hold up to rain, but not submersion. Again, the speaker also looks nice, albeit girly. The leather strap does not look like very good quality, but hopefully it will last.

I’m rating the speaker two stars at Amazon’s current price of over $100. At the retail price of $250 (according to woot), the speaker would rate one star. At $60, I give it three stars.

A better speaker in this price range in almost all regards is the TDK Life on Record TREK Max A34 Wireless Weatherproof Speaker.