Jura Capresso Coffee, Tea and Espresso

Yum, a Woot Plus thread and coffee gear. Now that’s what this Seattle person likes. :slight_smile: Let’s get coffee nerdy.

Anyone want to talk grinds and beans with us?

I’ve been grinding coffee for a few years but use a blade “grinder”, you know, it’s more like a blender than a grinder. Is a true burr grinder better?

I’m hardly an expert, but the general thought is that blade grinders are a little chaotic, and leave your beans in different size bits, while a burr grinder pretty consistently grinds everything to a specific size, theoretically leading to more consistent flavor.

Alton Brown keeps his blade grinder around to grind spices, though, so don’t necessarily ditch it even if you upgrade.

I just switched to a burr grinder about a month ago. So far I love it, the coarseness of the grind is much easier to control, and it might be psychological but I do believe my coffee tastes better.

mebe I’ll buy one since woot put one on sale.

Depends on how you brew. Blade grinders are fine for drip coffee, and so-so for a coffee press, but for espresso machines, moka pots and such, you really want a uniform grind; a burr grinder.

A burr grinder is better but I don’t recommend this one. Capresso sells a better, more expensive burr grinder that is good. This one is a piece of crap.

Have you actually tried this one before?

If you need a true fine espresso grind, DONT BUY!

I have one of their better grinders (more $$$) and one of their better espresso machines. Recently I found one of their similar grinders to this one unused at a sale. I noticed later that it looked like the same Chinese grinding mechanism I had seen in several other brands in the under-$50 price point.

Sure enough, like the others, it grinds well down to drip grind but fails completely for espresso grind. It does do a good job for moka pots and press pots.

But I’m 98% sure this is just another Chinese cheapie to fill in a particular price-point.

Two of the other cheapies I bought new (including one from Cuisinart) failed after about a year. Spend more and you’ll be a lot happier.

OTOH, if you do drip coffee and want the convenience of a burr grinder (vs a blade unit), it isn’t that much of an investment…but don’t expect miracles. You could probably drive to a big box store and get something very similar.

yes, I have tried this grinder before. There is one sitting in my garage. It didn’t last long and it never did a good job in its short life. I now have the next model capresso. Not as expensive as high end burr grinders but it does a very good job.

I don’t know if a lot of people understand merchandising. Many companies from car makers to cameras fill in their line at various price point with items that a not their best offerings.

I while back I bought a cheap Sony digicam that was obviously a price-point “filler.” It in no way felt like the rest of the Sony line. They obviously would not set up an entire tool and dye and assembly system for one oddball model, so you be the judge.

And now that the Chinese are making almost everything, it is easy to go to a trade fair, find a company that makes a grinder and have it cosmetically changed match the rest of the line.

My Capresso espresso machine is made in Portugal. Others cheaper ones are made in China, and there is an eerie similarity between those and other makers in the $100 range.

It’s a real buyer beware world.

It’s a sad day Woot! A sad day I say… I was going to buy the Impressa C5, and little to my knowledge, you folks aren’t shipping it to Alaska!

I guess I’ll go cry or something… meh, forget that, I’m in Alaska, I’ll just go for an epic bike ride!

All the coffee cuckoos say a burr is better and as it turns out, they are correct.

I used a blade grinder forever and bought the Capresso grinder on Woot back in May. You can more easily control the size and consistency of the grounds and it makes a difference. There are more expensive/better ones - but this one has done the trick for me.

Any experience with the water kettle? I’m making a lot of tea, one cup at a time and the different leaves all require different water temps. Something like this would make my life a lot easier in many ways, wondering if there are any experiences with it. Thanks

Edit: I looked no further than Amazon and got my answer. $59.44 there, wow a savings of $0.44 if this is all you are buying. And based one the reviews, it sounds like the lid breaks pretty soon and replacement parts are nonexistent.
Amazon page

Let us logic this one out. I spent years developing film in little tanks, and time and temp were critical factors. Applying that to tea, this is my opinion.

If you don’t pre-heat your cup, you lose quite a few degrees when you pour in the hot water. This will vary with the time of year and how hot or cold the room is, as well as the kind of mug being used…thick, thin, etc.
So an in-kettle thermometer of dubious quality is pretty useless.

If you are really serious, you need to search for a laboratory equipment supplier and get a stainless steel dial thermometer to place in the cup. A photo one will not do, as no developing was done at those high temps and they don’t go that high.

You may also find a digital one with a SS probe.

But in the end, just do trial and error. Always start with water that came to a rolling boil, wait a few seconds and work from there. Be consistent. It it tastes right to you, it is right.

It’s traditional to make a pot of tea with ‘one for the cup’ which means you’re supposed to rinse out the cup with hot water before pouring the tea - thus warming the cup (philistines drink tea from mugs).

You can use a candy/cooking thermometer to test water if you’re that into exact temperatures. Saves buying yet another specialized bit of equipment that turns grandma’s kitchen into a laboratory clean room.

The original poster stated “I’m making a lot of tea, one cup at a time.” My comments are based on that, not on a pot. Can’t comment on how philistine that is, but I do recall the main character in the BBC comedy “Keeping Up Appearances” offering her neighbor tea in a “beaker.”

The cooking thermometer is a good idea, but probably not as responsive as a modern one.

However, I still suggest just trial-and error. There are too many variables to pin down if one wishes to be scientific about it.

Hey, a beaker of char, anyone?

I bought the J6 two weeks ago when they offered Jura. I love it, easy to use, makes wonderful coffee. Recommend it especially if you enjoy coffee and have some money burning a hole in your pocket.

Any questions, ask

Went with the 115 Espresso machine after this vid.

This should be a big step from the Kuerig.