Jura J5B Auto Coffee Center

I thought Capresso had a machine just like you described. I have a Capresso that has what you described but I chosse the one that didn’t grind its own beans cause I have a free standing grinder that is awesome.

I don’t see how this is a full automatic when you still have to manually froth the milk. I thought full autos did that as well??? Or is this one of those that sucks in the milk then spits out froth?

Oh wow - TWENTY months - that was WAY off, eh?
But then - I’ve been drinking coffee for 300+ months, so maybe not such a bad idea after all…

The best coffees in the world can be shipped to your door (as opposed to being force-fed Puke’s Peak every morning). Cleaning is a ■■■■■ - you have to hold it under running water!

Yeah, that’s way easier than walking into my kitchen, putting a cup under the spigot, and pressing a button.

And if your coffee consumption consists of a cup of swill from Starblechs twice a week - you’re hardly a coffee drinker.

I really hope this is one of your 20 QPs

What reviews were you looking at? The ones I found were not that outstanding. This is also a mid-level machine, not top of the line. http://www.wholelattelove.com/JuraCapresso/impressaj5.cfm

A coffee maker for your car…wouldn’t that be a bit messy? :wink:

Tell that to Gale Boetticher.

Woot should put up cheeper espresso machines every once and a while.

Try the Cuisinart “Grind & Brew” 12-Cup Thermal Coffee Maker. Not cheap, but great coffee.

I will sell you my old one that got little use…

Ah, too bad that isn’t about $700 cheaper. I’m not a man of fiscal means (hence why I shop on Woot). The timing of this does seem appropriate to rub salt in my wounds though. I picked up a Gaggia Espresso Deluxe for $4 at a garage sale yesterday. Afer a two hour thorough dismantle and clean the thing didn’t seem to work. Perhaps I’ll get it up and going yet, but right now I’m just depressed at my state of caffeination. :frowning:

What doesn’t it do? No power? No heat? If it makes pumping noises but no liquid comes out, you may have to prime it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000T9XPHC/ref=asc_df_B000T9XPHC2176337?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=nextagus0006082-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B000T9XPHC

For those of you in the 47% (or is it 99%?) who are not in the market at this price, I strongly suggest hitting a few thrift stores.

I cannot tell you how many decent (well, OK really) pump machines show up.

Ignore the “steam toys,” the units that look like an espresso maker but do not pump. They have a big intake hole to fill a boiler with water and blast steam through the grounds.
Pump units have a water reservoir.

Also, if you cannot find a burr grinder, do NOT try to get by with a blade grinder…they do not uniformly grind and you will waste coffee. Buy pre-ground or have it ground. For a good selection of cheaper pre-ground (many on Amazon) look at JavaCabana com. They are the roasters in Florida. I know the serious users will scoff, but not all of us can get a $300 conical burr grinder to go with our coffee habit.

I’d buy this in a minute, if I had the money. I’d do BillMeLater too…

I agree with everyone, but I live in Mayberry and the first time I saw a cappuccino on a coffee shop menu I got all swoony…$5, why not? I used to live in Boston…

So, I ordered one and the waitress actually opened a envelope of a powdered mix! She added hot water and told me I was the first one to every order one, could I tell her if I liked it? I looked at the water with floating bits and almost cried…

So, yeah, Starbucks may suck but instant cappuccino sux worse

If only I have $800… hell, I’d probably run away.

I too have the Cuisinart mentioned above and it is awesome. I believe it comes with either a regular / crappy grinder or a burr grinder which costs more. You absolutely need to pay the extra for the burr grinder for better coffee.

These are amazing machines for quality and durability. One of the best features is the service and support. $235 will fix ANY problem you ever have with it, includes shipping to and from. I was even told they’d send me a new similar machine if it was unfixable. Now THAT is service.

We don’t have this particular model, but we do have the Jura Capresso Z5, which we paid ~$3000 for. These machines are Swedish-made, an they’re built to last. They are very durable, and the coffee they make us amazing. Because its pressure-brewed, you get a rich flavor, with an equally nice crema on top. These machines grind, tamp, brew, empty, and clean themselves after each cup, and also have a built-in clean cycle, in which you simply place a cleaning tablet in, and it does the rest. You’re ally would be amazed as what these machines do. The only drawback we’ve encountered was a repair issue, which was really our fault. We used a coffe we weren’t suppose to use (a flavored coffee), and it clogged things up. The repair costs can be quite expensive, and repairs, while not difficult to do yourself, can be tricky, because they use an oblong screw head in the service access panel, which requires either a special tool, or a set of pliers, to remove (we just replaced the screws with Phillips head screws). Other than that, this thing is a tank! I’ve never known anyone to be disappointed with the Jura brand.

Yes, these machines auto-froth the milk by drawing it through. Actually, they draw the milk through, frothing it, and then add a shot of coffee/espresso at the end. Ours came with a long tube that can be placed in a milk jug, or a glass of milk, but we opted to purchase an insulated milk carafe, which connects to the machine with a shorter hose and does the same thing.

My question is - IS THIS model swiss-made, or is it a lower price-point model that is assembled somewhere else?

I love people to disqualify “Starbucks” as quality coffee. The sniping is hilarious.

It’s even more hilarious now that I have a Starbucks gold card (The Mocha Coconut Frappuccinos did it to me - You’re more than welcome to judge away) going on two years now. The quality for Starbucks comes in the name and (supposedly) customer service. They also over-roast their beans, from what I’ve heard other connis-con-connie- (/clears throat) people tell me.

Truth be told, I love seeing these, dream about having one, but at this point the maintenance alone wouldn’t make it worthwhile for me to “up my coffee stakes” from casual strong coffee drinker to “expensive cappuccino first thing in the morning” drinker.

That being said, I wonder how many coffee drinkers in here drink “Caribou Coffee”. I’m in love with the new “Lacuna” flavor and am a little concerned that it’ll get discontinued eventually. :smiley:

That’s not really setting the bar very high, eh?

For those concerned with cleaning… I don’t have this model (mine’s a Saeco) but it takes maybe five minutes once a week.