JVC 1080p Camcorder w/ 40x Optical Zoom

@scantar;
Battery life isn’t great. Upgraded batteries are available. I almost always have mine plugged in while recording.

@rsbirge;
I believe that the still images it captures are 1920x1080. Not very good for cameras of today. On the plus side, it can capture pictures without disrupting the video stream.

@press25;
The autofocus works pretty well. The brighter the subject, the faster the focus. And yes, it will record while charging.

@cdavis2387;
It has a setting for microphone zoom, perhaps turning that off would give you better results.

One of the features that sold me on this line is the 40x optical zoom. Most others use digital zoom, which pixelates images at full 1080 resolution.

Some I haven’t seen mentioned:
It gets WARM while recording. Not painfully so, but definitely uncomfortable.
The ergonomics are not made for someone with paws the size of mine. I usually use it on a tripod, but most tripod bases have to be removed to get the SD card out.

It’s 1080i, and converts to 1080p.

I made my first purchase from Woot today, and I have to say I truly enjoyed my experience. I love the sense of humor that the Woot marketing team has and it really helped brighten my day. I will definitely continue to check out your site for things that I may want, and will purchase again in the future.

Keep up the great work!

Can anyone comment on the quality of refurbished JVC products and/or customer service if a refurb is involved? Thx.

Biggest piece of junk, I use as a cool paper weight though. Bought this 3 years ago because of the price, worst picture quality, jittery, static, it’s really a toy camera…don’t waste your money.

Aw, well thank you for the feedback! It is most appreciated. :slight_smile:

Does it have built in memory?
If it does, what’t the size?

NO built in memory, requires an SD card.

JVC= Junk Very Crappy

Used indoors? Outdoors? With a tripod? Can you describe what “static” is? A lot of video cameras with long zoom ranges cannot be hand-held when zoomed out. Is that what you call “jittery?” Is “static” really poor performance in low light?

I got mine a couple of months ago and it is now getting stuck where it wont do anything. this happens every now and then but the picture quality and zoom and everything else is satisfactory for this price. Very Sharp picture and true colors

If you’re still under warranty I’d contact the manufacturer about that. :slight_smile:

Crap on a cracker. This is cheaper and better than the open box special they had a couple of weeks ago :frowning: That one was only 720P, but at least that one has 8GB built in

Take something like the Nikon D800 though, and you’re theory of young digital camera world takes a dive. Of course you pay for that quality (both photo and video.) I bought my first digital camera back in 1999, an Olympus UZ-2100 (I think that was the model #.) Anyway, it was only 2.1mp, but had a super zoom, Leica lens, and optical image stabilization. While the clarity and saturation can’t compete with my D300 or D800, I can print images from that camera at sizes in the 30"x20" range, put them behind gallery quality glass, and blow most current 10, 12, 16, 20mp consumer grade cameras out of the water. It’s not the mega pixels that matter. It’s the lens. Any photographer worth their shit will tell you the same thing, as will the technologists at Nikon, Olympus, Canon, etc that are behind the guts of cameras. Mega pixels became the standard upon which people chose digital cameras early on and the marketing departments picked up on that.

While it’s not exactly the same as VZN, ATT petitioning the IEEE to change the definition of 4G so they could sell 3G networks to the public as true 4th generation, it’s very close.

It’s about the LENS, and the processing the camera does if you shoot in jpeg. More mega pixels help cover up deficiencies with lenses and camera processing, but truly mean so much less than people think!

Does this Camcorder take Still Pictures? I can’t seem to find that info…

“Oh, there you are, Perry…”

/rrrkkkrrrkkkrrrkkrrrkk
(aka - Platapus clicking)

I bought three of these to cut into footage I shoot with two AG-AC90’s - I liked the idea of getting three cameras that could do 1 second interval motion (like of an actor in hair and makeup) or maybe setting one to do an overview of a shoot in two or three second intervals for several hours. Or for video to grab some really lower end “behind the scenes” looking “B-roll” (and do it in AVCHD to match my workflow in post) - these would fill that need.

Works perfectly. Saved me money. No complaints.

As a primary video camera these are completely a waste of money IMHO, my cellphone captures better video - but as a throwaway to capture one frame every second (or two, or three) or to have something on set to hand to someone (like a chaperone of a child actor or the boyfriend of a model) to keep them busy and quiet, these have proven invaluable (and I have had them for all of one day).

Thanks woot!

WTF??? Where’s the friggin’ SOFTWARE so I can save the videos??? Everytime I buy something from WOOT I get SCREWED!

LOVE IT!!! I have used this camera several times since I purchased it. My first test was on a trip to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. I received several favourable comments about the size, the quality of the video, and the sound quality. I am very pleased with this camera. It is small and compact and easy to carry. Thank you WOOTfor your fine products.