JVC 49" or 55" Class 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV

JVC 49" or 55" Class 4K Ultra HD HDR Smart LED TV

I would HIGHLY recommend you walk away from these. As a matter of fact I think you should run away. I ordered one of each size back on April 16th and both arrived damaged. Mind you there was nothing wrong with the box. They were also well packaged. Yet both of them arrived with a smashed and separated screen. On the bright side returning it to Woot was easy.

Personally, I’m 0 for 3 with Woot and TVs. Ain’t going down that road again. I’ll go to Sam’s or Costco from now on.

2 Likes

Page doesn’t load properly in Vivaldi. Screen is white with a small portion of the page smooshed on the left side.

Thanks please try again. Page should work now.

I’m re-running the comment I posted the last time these were on sale, (exactly) a month ago:

I got a new one of these (49") a few months ago from WalMart for $250, delivered (apparently shipped from a store about 50 miles away). It arrived double-boxed and in fine shape, and the driver even brought it inside when my wife asked.

I was very surprised by how beautiful the picture is and how good the sound is (comparing both to the name-brand regular-HD – not HDR – set it replaces). We only use our amplifier and speakers for movies; the sound is totally fine for football or cooking shows (sorry, but we only watch those 3 things). Oh, and the TV reception (with an antenna for HD football) is better than the old set, too.

It is just “smart” enough to receive a ChromeCast; it has no other built-in apps and can’t spy on you. So you’ll want to “cast” it from your phone or tablet to the TV. We’ve only tried NetFlix and YouTube so far, but they worked pretty easily. Expect ChromeCast setup to take about 10 - 15 minutes; that’s what it took me, and I had never used or setup ChromeCast before.

The remote that comes with it has very few buttons. You can change channel up or down, adjust volume, and select an input. The surprise is there are no number buttons to select a channel directly; you’ll have to hit the “up” or “down” button enough times to go from one to the other. Since there are no buttons on the TV at all , you’ll need to keep the remote handy.

Logitech also may not have it in their universal remote control database; the support people helped me out (they have a very similar one they say is compatible), but I haven’t tested it yet to see how well it works. (Add an “A” to the end of the model.)

It has a USB port, but can only show photos from it. (I imagine it can also do a BIOS update from it.)

The only audio output is a headphone jack. The volume’s a little low when running it into an amplifier, but it sounds quite good, and the volume is adjustable from the remote.

I don’t know about reliability (I can say that ours has had zero problems, but that’s not so helpful.) Square Trade is your friend here.

The only other surprise I can think of is its wide stance: the feet are about 1 inch in from the ends of the set, so you may need to re-think your furniture if your old set is smaller or has a center stand.

Honestly, unless you want your TV to be “smarter” than this one, or need some other feature it doesn’t have, the picture and sound are so good and price so low that it’s a crazy good deal . I can’t remember the last time I bought something electronic and got such a pleasant surprise.

1 Like

I purchased this TV they sent it and the screen was cracked sent it back and got another…it was cracked too. They do a really bad job of protecting it when its shipped. Not saying don’t buy it just saying don’t be surprised if they have to try shipping more then one to get it too you undamaged. Make sure to add the price of a roll of duct tape that you will need to re-box them.

I just picked up this TV, and it tends to struggle a lot with deep gray and black. Watching the most recent season of GoT has helped me to fully realize this.

It’s workable, but not great. I think you’ll be less than pleased if this is your daily driver screen, but as an additional screen for occasional viewing it seems fine.

Hi all. Sorry for the damaged screens. It doesn’t take much with these thin screens to damage them and some delivery people are less than gentle.

Woot CS is here to help.

Like the others, I bought one and it arrived with the screen cracked. There isn’t enough packaging in the box to protect it. There is one airbag on each corner and that’s it. Mine was shattered about an inch to the right of the JVC logo, where no protection exists. The box itself has no structure and was held together with bands. The box is stapled, as well, but most of them only went through the first layer of cardboard. Until the supplier can actually pack the TVs, I’d avoid them.

Its not just the boxing that is poor. They don’t teach the delivery people to handle these properly. They should NEVER Be SHIPPED FLAT. The have to stay vertical for the entire trip. My TV from Amazon came with a broken screen as well. Not this brand, Samsung.