Kalorik Magic Bean 10-Cup Coffee Maker with Built-in Burr Grinder

BURR GRINDER/MILL ?'s Answered

Can the burr grinder also grind espresso style grinds (finer grind)? I would love to have this to complement my breville espresso machine.

Nice hands you have there over on W00T. Who does your finger nails?

“a gram of water”? i thought water is fluid and measured in ml. Oh well… maybe you ment to say “one gram of ICE”.

Actually, the gram was originally defined as the weight of one milliliter of water (and if you want to get technical, this is at 4 degrees Celsius because the density of water varies slightly with temperature):

So in conclusion (and if you have some chemistry background, you’d remember this):

1g water = 1ml water

Yes, but you’ll want a high-quality grinder. Cheaper burr grinders (and all blade grinders) tend to heat the coffee while they do their thing, which ruins the flavor of espresso in particular (though it isn’t a great thing for any coffee).

Bummer that this sucks, I was going to buy it. I think I will stick with my 10 year old Krups thermal carafe maker (until it breaks) and separate burr grinder. It would be very disappointing to have one break after a month or two.

And for the record, I have to agree that burr grinders are way better. I actually prefer my own home brew than any coffee house or *bucks type place

I bought one of these last time around… i think it was april 1st (which i must say, was the best woot item(s) ever!)

The good:

• it makes coffee
  • it grinds
  • easy to clean
  • nice big pot
  • the coffee comes out as it should: delicious

the bad:

• machine makes annoying beeping noise when it’s done and won’t stop until you turn it off; no settings to remove this and will upset your sleeping roommate.
  • the grinder hoards some coffee so that when you’ve used it and then pull out the filter, it will surprise you with some extra ground coffee
  • the coffee pot has to be the worst design ever. no matter what you do, there will always (!) be a small amount of liquid - be it coffee, or water from cleaning it - in the bottom of the pot.
  • lastly, you can only make 4, 6 or 10 cups. not sure if this is good, or bad, but i’m putting it under the bad because i don’t want my machine dictating the amount of coffee i need!

I would buy these explanations, except that I went to the company’s website and saw that they sell vacuum cleaners and mixers and blenders, none of which have anything to do with heat (though the motors in all of them probably do get hot).

So, I guess the name has nothing to do with coffee. I can accept that.

By the way, their first product was a toaster, so maybe that’s why they chose the name of a unit of heat. Those things get hot.

Shipping Update

Kalorik Magic Bean 10-Cup Coffee Maker with Built-in Burr Grinder has completely shipped via FEDEX Ground. All tracking has already been emailed out. You can also find your tracking number by following this link and use your ORDER NUMBER as the reference number.

FEDEX TRACKING

This thing is unbelievably shoddy. I had such high hopes for an all-in-one grinder and brewer. It’s been out of the box for all of 20 minutes and already the grinder adjustment has seized.

Now, will it become a doorstop…or something else? Only Kalorik and their super-flash website will tell…

Ha! My water tank leaks, you got a good one!

I really need to stop buying >$5 items from Woot.

Response from Kaloric:

Nice huh?